Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Helix 10 Mega SI Connect SI/Trolling and High Speed Ducer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Minnow

Default Helix 10 Mega SI Connect SI/Trolling and High Speed Ducer

Is it possible to connect a Helix 10 SI Mega unit to the SI transducer, Ulterra w/Ilink Trolling Motor & Transducer, and a High Speed Transducer to be able and use all three transducers? I understand I may need to toggle back and forth between the HS and Trolling Motor Transducers.

If so what is needed for cabling aside from the Mega Y Cable?

I've been trying to find info on this site and HB site w/o any luck. Must just be missing the right page.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Retired Yet View Post
Is it possible to connect a Helix 10 SI Mega unit to the SI transducer, Ulterra w/Ilink Trolling Motor & Transducer, and a High Speed Transducer to be able and use all three transducers? I understand I may need to toggle back and forth between the HS and Trolling Motor Transducers.

I've been trying to find info on this site and HB site w/o any luck. Must just be missing the right page.

Thanks for any input.
I used the quote so I could see your post. My memory sucks!
First do you have more than one humminbird unit.(which one)
You can for sure use the mega "Y" cable to hook to the helix unit to the high speed inside the hull puck.
The mega has an SI puck built in.
If you are talking about 1 unit with multiple transducers I don't think that is even a possibility. Older units could use a switch to switch between 2 transducers but you would also have to change the transducer setting each time.
If you have another ethernet capable unit you could use the network settings to ,in effect,do that.
Before you can get the hardware we need to know what all you have. Bob
Old 05-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Minnow

Bob, I have two HUMMINBIRD HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI SONAR/GPS G2N units on order, but am unsure if I will be installing both units or just one. Took advantage of a sale when I ordered two. Would be connecting the two together if I do install them both.

Is the SI transducer all a person needs to mount on the back and get Chirp, DI, SI, and Sonar? Had seen another thread on WC with issues at higher speeds, would want to have at least depth at 40-50mph. If the one transducer is good for the above I would use the Y cable to connect the US2 on the Minn Kota.

Thanks,

Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Bob, I have two HUMMINBIRD HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI SONAR/GPS G2N units on order, but am unsure if I will be installing both units or just one. Took advantage of a sale when I ordered two. Would be connecting the two together if I do install them both.

Is the SI transducer all a person needs to mount on the back and get Chirp, DI, SI, and Sonar? Had seen another thread on WC with issues at higher speeds, would want to have at least depth at 40-50mph. If the one transducer is good for the above I would use the Y cable to connect the US2 on the Minn Kota.

Thanks,
One mega transducer has all the elements needed. The issues at speed are trying to do without a through hull transducer and "Y" cable. You must have a fiberglass boat for that option as aluminum will not work well as a sounding board. I am still a little confused with your y cable hooked to us2. You cant leave the trolling motor in the water for on plane speeds. I would think with the 2 units you would have one transducer on the trolling motor and one on the transom. US2 is 2D sonar only so if you used that you could not make use of the bow unit for SI or DI.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Thanks for any input.
You need this switch. http://www.humminbird.com/Products/TS3/

Connect MEGA y-cable to Hilex. SI transducer to SI end of y-cable, that switch to 2d end of y-cable, rear 2d transducer to that switch, US2 also to that switch.
So, you will also need a rear 2d transducer, thru-hull or transom mount, and you will need the US2 to hummingbird adaptor and likely a transducer extension cable.
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale ryder View Post

Connect MEGA y-cable to Hilex. SI transducer to SI end of y-cable, that switch to 2d end of y-cable, rear 2d transducer to that switch, US2 also to that switch.
So, you will also need a rear 2d transducer, thru-hull or transom mount, and you will need the US2 to hummingbird adaptor and likely a transducer extension cable.
Please note that this switch is not for Hilex Mega units as stated on their web site. I found that the transducer which comes with the Mega reads at speed of 48mph. That's all the speed I have. Regretfully I have two of the new splitters for the mega which I found I do not need. For the new splitter it looks like you have to switch which transducer you are using by a screen setting instead of switching on the run. I may be wrong but this is what I have been told.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Wallhanger

Not Retired. Call humminbird. There has been much confusion and mis- information on this subject.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale ryder View Post

Sorry. I was wrong. That switch doesn't work with Solix, and HBs website doesn't show one that does.

Sorry again. For some reason I thought you said Solix instead of Helix.
That switch should work with 2d transducers for the Helix units.
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.

Last edited by pale ryder; 05-18-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Minnow

Bob, I did call Humminbird today (note called in had a waiting period of about 20 seconds impressed). They were very helpful if everything is correct.

Info received.
1. The US2 will need to be connected to a switch (TS3) and I will need to switch from that to MEGA Transducer if I want to use the US2.
2. I was informed that the MEGA Transducer is not set up to read at high speeds and that I would need a high speed transducer for this. They recommended a XP920 for a shoot thru the hull transducer. (from other posts on this site it seems that some people are getting good speed readings with the MEGA).
3. If I connect the two units together I would need an Ethernet cable with (2) ASECQDE adaptor cables.

I did ask if it was possible to connect a Lowrance transducer PDRT WSB to the MEGA so I would not have to add a new transducer and was told it will not work. Anybody have any input on this?

I hope I have not miss inturpalated any of the information from HB because they seemed to be very helpful.

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Wallhanger

I would recheck on the through hull transducer. There is a new "Y" cable for mega transducer for the through hull and I am betting there is an adapter cable to convert the Lowrance cable to HB. I believe it was designed for the MG trolling motor to an HB unit. Hopefully someone will let you know the particulars. Bob