Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Power Pro vs Fireline - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Slot Fish

After using fire line for several years I tried Power Line a couple years ago and have no plans of going back to fire line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Re: color - I normally buy bright yellow, or equiv, so it can be seen. Visibility doesn't change, as it all seems to end up white, which is OK too.

Bill
Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

When I started to use braid, it was fireline. But found that would flatten and the coating would wear off. Moved to Powerpro. Really liked it, but a bit stiff for some applications. Now have moved to suffix 832 hi viz. Best braid I have found.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
The last time I used Fireline, it noticeably wore rapidly. By this, I mean it frayed at the casting end. This fraying was considerable and seemingly faster than I though it should. That was the last which I purchased, and went to Powerpro, which I have stayed with. It is possible that Berk has taken care of the problem fraying by now, so perhaps it no longer is an issue; I may not find our, as I really like Powerpro.

Bill
I experience the same with Fireline. It frays a bit, not bad, but a bit at the lure end. I just shorten up the line about 3 feet when retying and it doesn't create issues.

I tried some Power Pro - which doesn't fray at the lure end. That created it's own set of problems. Sometimes I have to break off the line on a snag. With Fireline, I hold the spool, and the line snaps off next to the lure. Then I tie on another - and off I go.

With Power Pro - I held the spool, and the line broke at the spool. For me that meant, put the rod away, and then go buy another spool of line at $12-$14 a spool, and put on new line. No more Power Pro for me.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I experience the same with Fireline. It frays a bit, not bad, but a bit at the lure end. I just shorten up the line about 3 feet when retying and it doesn't create issues.

I tried some Power Pro - which doesn't fray at the lure end. That created it's own set of problems. Sometimes I have to break off the line on a snag. With Fireline, I hold the spool, and the line snaps off next to the lure. Then I tie on another - and off I go.

With Power Pro - I held the spool, and the line broke at the spool. For me that meant, put the rod away, and then go buy another spool of line at $12-$14 a spool, and put on new line. No more Power Pro for me.
As I said, it is possible that Fireline has improved, that would be good. As to snags, I don't like to use the spool as a breaking device, due to my feeling that while applying more than normal fishing pressure, the line maybe cuts into itself, thus maybe weakening the line on the spool underneath..... I like to use a wooden dowel to break free. When I do, I make sure I do not cross over the line I wind on the dowel, as I tend to feel that it would also cut into itself there.

Bill
Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Keeper

I use Power Pro in saltwater and when I first started using it I noticed it snapped more often then fireline and fireline frayed and flattened easier. The snapping has stopped either to improvement of the PP or how I use it(probably me).

Now I use a combination of the two. Mostly PP for saltwater and fireline for fresh, but thats a strict rule.

Bought some kastking last fall and have no complaints yet, but I haven't used it enough to pass judgement.

Didn't like Suffix 832, it was limp and lifeless after a few hours of use. I know most people like that. I guess I don't.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Minnow

I'm changing to Powerpro tomorrow. While when new Fireline was great, as it ages I found a new problem...As it flattens with use and time, I was fishing in a pretty good currant and the line acted like a kite...I would pitch up stream and the jig would be at the boat before it touched down.

My partner was using the exact same line 10#Fireline Flame Green w/ a 10# flouro leader, same jig, but with brand new line and he was able to keep his jig down and cover more water...caught more fish too...

Will spool up Power Pro 10# Slick 8 and give it a go...

Rigs
Old 05-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Minnow

Default Braid Vs Fireline

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
Looking to start use more braid. Considering Power Pro vs Fireline. Primarily will be casting jig with plastics. What are the pros and cons of each line.
I use both Power Pro (PP) 8lbs and Fireline Crystal (FC) 8 lbs. However, when Suffix 832 came out I switched from PP to 832- love it. I use 832 green for river and stained water and FC for clear water. As others have stated fireline will fray faster but I do like the feel and in clearer water less visible to fish - at least I think so.
Recently I pick up PP Depth Hunter to use trolling with spinning reel - have not tried it out yet?

Walt E.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try power pro and 832.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default 832

Power pro now is my second choice, Suffix 832 is my go to line and has been for 4yrs. now