Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help with Battery Connection - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Minnow

Default Help with Battery Connection

Seems very basic, yet I could use input on battery connections. New boat last year (Lund 1650 Rebel Sport / 90hp) and I had the dealer winterize so they disconnected the battery. I am accustomed to seeing one large cable going to the negative terminal of the battery and one large cable going to the positive terminal. This evening, I went to hook up the battery and found one large cable which was left connected to the positive terminal and the other large cable disconnected from the negative terminal. It seems obvious that I should connect the large cable to the negative terminal. What I would like to confirm is that the two smaller cables shown in the picture should also go to the positive terminal? They are harnessed with the wires that are connected to the fuse assembly which is in turn connected to the positive terminal. I am assuming these are accessories?. Would appreciate your input. Photo attached.
On my last boat, I fumbled one of the cables (there were only two) and one touched the wrong terminal accidentally. Needless to say, it blew something (solenoid?) which cost a few bucks to fix and caused the boat to stay on land that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20170518_203506 (1)_LI.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	551.6 KB
ID:	259066  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Wallhanger

It looks like the three unconnected cables in your hand are all black cables. If your boat was wired conventionally, then all black wires should go to the NEG battery terminal. If a black wire is used to make a connection to the POS battery terminal, it should have red electrical tape wrapped close to the connection point.

I'd take this back to the dealership that winterized the boat and let them show you how to re-connect those wires. If they screw something up in the process, they bought it.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

The large one is your outboard, the one on your far left is the main panel ground, the small black is the ground wire normally run to the fuel tank. They all go on the negative battery terminal.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lund battery connections.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	259074  

Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

In addition, if the boat was wired correctly the size of the rings should be sized so that those wires will only fit on either the - terminal or the + terminal correctly.

Be safe
Old 05-19-2017, 04:09 AM
Minnow

Thank you all for your input. I took another photo of the fuse assembly harness. There are four wires - two red and two black The red wires are connected to the positive terminal which were not removed by the dealer. The two smaller wires which I was questioning are black so it does make sense they would go to the negative. I will also call the dealer to see if they will confirm over the phone. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	259082  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon the water View Post
Thank you all for your input. I took another photo of the fuse assembly harness. There are four wires - two red and two black The red wires are connected to the positive terminal which were not removed by the dealer. The two smaller wires which I was questioning are black so it does make sense they would go to the negative. I will also call the dealer to see if they will confirm over the phone. Thanks again.
Best idea in bold. Makes sense that they only removed the negative terminals, but?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:15 AM
Minnow

I spoke with the dealer and they confirmed that all of the wires should go to the negative terminal. He said that all the wires should be black (they are) and that the service department disconnects the wires from the negative terminal as standard procedure. I did not think it would be that easy otherwise I would have called the first. Anyway, you were all correct!
Old 05-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
In addition, if the boat was wired correctly the size of the rings should be sized so that those wires will only fit on either the - terminal or the + terminal correctly.

Be safe
You can't count on that working. Some of my marine batteries have identical size threaded studs on the POS and NEG battery terminals, some don't.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
You can't count on that working. Some of my marine batteries have identical size threaded studs on the POS and NEG battery terminals, some don't.
Right. My Interstates are all 5/16 posts.