Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova steering motor replacement - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Keeper

Default Terrova steering motor replacement

My 2012 Terrova has developed a loud (much louder than the already normal loud) noise when turning right. It seems fine turning left. I am tempted to tear into it a maybe replace the motor or whatever needs replaced. I called the service center and their advise of course was to take it to and authorized service repair center. Secondly he said they did not recommend replacing parts in the steering housing but rather recommend replacing the entire unit. Difference a new motor around $20...steering housing $120. I am pretty mechanical and after looking at the parts diagram etc doesn't seem so bad.
Question: has anyone replaced parts in the their steering housing? What level of repair on 1-10 was it?
And/or any thoughts...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Slot Fish

Its a pretty easy job. Just watch and take a few pics taking it apart. The hardest part for me was getting that plastic clip off that holds the wires in the control box cover.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
Its a pretty easy job. Just watch and take a few pics taking it apart. The hardest part for me was getting that plastic clip off that holds the wires in the control box cover.
What did you replace and why? I am wondering if replacing the complete motor will make it quieter or if the replacements are just as loud as the original. I helped a friend install a new BT on his pontoon and it is super quiet, I]m jealous!

Old 05-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Wallhanger

I did this last year. In my case it was not the motor but the gears making noise. I cleaned everything up and re-greased, better but still louder than normal so I think the gears need replacing. I say this because running the little motor without gears it was **** near dead quiet!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Keeper

There is at least one thread on this very subject in WC. I saved this from one of them:
"Replacing the housing is easy and cheap, so they say.
I had an old PD do something similar and it was a broken gear. New steering asembly was under $100 and took about 15 minutes to replace. Looks like Terrova steering housing is $117 @ Northland. If you can pull the housing apart and diagnose the problem the motor itself is only $27.
https://northlandmarine.com/collections/drive-housings "

My Terrova has annoying squeeks that come and go. Usually worse when it auto pilot and the head is micro adjusting to stay on course.

I sent a question in to MinnKota and got this back:
you can try rubber washers between the motor base and the mounting surface of your boat. But, it sounds like it is the bushings/bearing within the steering housing that are squeaking. You can try spraying silicone with a nozzle straw or pledge into that area to quiet the squeak. Don't use WD-40 or anything that will leave a oil residue. That will attract sand and grit causing more issues. If all else fails, a replacement steering housing is about $130.

Last edited by lawson2343; 05-08-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

In addition to my post above, I also changed out the bearings. While this helped out with the slop immensely, it didnt help with the turning noise at all. Its in the gears.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Keeper

Just to update this, I ordered a new steering housing from Northland Marine for $117, it was a easy repair taking only a few minutes. I am really glad that I went that route as the Terrova steering is so quiet now, more quiet than I can ever remember. Not sure that is my memory or if they have over time made some improvements. I am very happy with the steering now and as I said, it was not more than an hour from off the boat to back on the boat.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbohunter View Post
Just to update this, I ordered a new steering housing from Northland Marine for $117, it was a easy repair taking only a few minutes. I am really glad that I went that route as the Terrova steering is so quiet now, more quiet than I can ever remember. Not sure that is my memory or if they have over time made some improvements. I am very happy with the steering now and as I said, it was not more than an hour from off the boat to back on the boat.
Excellent news. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like I should just buy one and have it ready for when mine goes.