Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Deep Cycle Batteries Test good but Trolling Motor Dies - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Minnow

Default Deep Cycle Batteries Test good but Trolling Motor Dies

I need some help!

My trolling motor went from 4 bars (pictures of a battery) to 3 bars to 2 to 1 in about 10 minutes of trolling two weekends ago. It stopped working altogether.
Got the 2015 Interstate group 27 deep cycle batteries tested and was told they passed.
I got the Minn Kota trolling motor tested and that tested out good.
I suspect the batteries, but they are not old and they tested out good.

Anyone familiar with load testing deep cycle batteries. The technician at O'Reilly that tested them said he charged them for about 20 minutes then put a load on them and they both passed.

Is it possible for deep cycle batteries to pass a load test but still not be able to run a trolling motor for even a short period of time?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Minnow

I had a problem last year with my starting battery - I would fish for a couple hours and go to start the big motor and it would be dead. Took the battery to OReilly's and it tested fine so threw it back in the boat. The next time out after fishing for a half hour, I decided to fire up the big motor and it was dead again. I replaced the battery and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 08:24 PM
Wallhanger

Most auto part stores only conduct a starting load test that test the battery's ability to deliver xxx amps for 10-15 seconds while maintaining a minimum voltage.

You could do a duration load test via apply a know load over a duration of hours, then once the load is removed, allow the battery some recovery time 30-60 minutes then messure the open circuit rested voltage. Compare that to a state of charge chart to get an idea of true capacity & health.

Say you have a 100 AH battery, apply a 10 amp load on it for 8 hours, or 5 amps over 16hrs. that would consume 80 amp hours of current from battery. Once recovered, the open voltage should be around 11.58v @ 70 degree temp

Don't discharge more than 80% dod on a regular basis, deep discharges are hard on batteries

edit:
My question would be why did they have to charge them for 20 minutes? if you were taking care of them properly, once they applied them to the charger, within a minute or two they should have been fully charged topped off, if not, then you or your charger is doing something wrong.

Reason I say this is the charger they use is a very high current charger, it helps speed up the time spent charging & checking used batteries

Last edited by cyber16; 05-17-2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: wow auto correct mixed up my wording

Old 05-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Keeper

Try charging the batteries yourself, then use a DVM to check them, and monitor them for a day or two to see if they hold a charge. They may be in the 1st stages of failing by charging to 100%, but won't hold a charge. You can put a short duration load on the batteries by running your TM for a brief time (might overheat if done too much) at your house. Or take the boat to lake and run it for a short bit and test batteries with DVM
55# Terrova/IP
Old 05-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Minnow

I use the Harbor Freight 500 Amp Carbon Pile Load Tester to test my batteries. This unit allows you to increase the load and this will show how much load the battery can handle. The regular load testers only test at one load. The reading might show OK for a short period of time but the battery might go bad after a short time.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...&q=load+tester

Last edited by N9Phil; 05-16-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

With your symptoms might not be this. Make sure the battery charger in your boat is working right. I had one die on me.

Last edited by Snowking; 05-16-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Wallhanger

you might try checking the water/acid level in your battery. I had this same problem many yrs ago before I knew to check for this. the battery would charge up just fine. but it wouldn't be no time on the water before it was drained. then I was told to check the level and it was way down.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS View Post
I need some help!

My trolling motor went from 4 bars (pictures of a battery) to 3 bars to 2 to 1 in about 10 minutes of trolling two weekends ago. It stopped working altogether.
Got the 2015 Interstate group 27 deep cycle batteries tested and was told they passed.
I got the Minn Kota trolling motor tested and that tested out good.
I suspect the batteries, but they are not old and they tested out good.

Anyone familiar with load testing deep cycle batteries. The technician at O'Reilly that tested them said he charged them for about 20 minutes then put a load on them and they both passed.

Is it possible for deep cycle batteries to pass a load test but still not be able to run a trolling motor for even a short period of time?

Thanks.
Plain and simple you have battery issues. The age of the batteries is irrelevant. Are you taking proper care of them with a quality on board battery charger? Do you recharge them as soon as you get home? Do you keep them charged when not in use? Are you maintaining your fluid levels? I can tell you from the many mistakes I have made that you need to be diligent in your care of trolling batteries. If you feel you have taken proper care of your existing batteries you should definitely change brands when you replace them.

P.S. The fellow that tested the batteries is somewhat shaky. 20 minutes of charging on a deep cycle battery is useless. Using a load tester designed for cranking batteries is also a dubious exercise.

Last edited by wellpastcold; 05-19-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Did they use a digital tester with deep cycle setting? I deliver part time for a parts store and most of the people working there aren't very familiar with marine batteries and test them as an auto battery because that is the default setting on the tester.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Minnow

My experience with batteries last year. Ran the 36V trolling motor in the AM, worked fine by 1:00PM would have the motor on 10 and would only go about .9 MPH. Charged the batteries at the end of the day made sure they were fully charged and same thing the next weekend. removed the batteries and had them checked, all of the checked out.

Took them home and gerry rigged an electric heater to all three batteries and started to load the batteries. Took some time but after checking the batteries regularly, one battery dropped to less than 7 volts while the other 2 were at around 11.5 volts. would let them set for 10 minutes and it would be up to around 12 volts.

Replaced the one battery since it was near the end of the year and haven't looked back.