Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What am I doing wrong? (Follow the contour) - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyincher View Post
What andersaki said - kinda sounds like the terrova and helix aren't connected?
^ Pretty sure THIS is exactly the issue. I found the Trolling motor cable and terminal which is not connected to the Helix 10.

My dealer has some real issues.....and I am getting "educated" as a result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

Foggy,

Glad you found the cable. Once you connect it you should be able to test it without putting the boat in the water. Turn on your Helix and your remote. The remote screen should have the message "motor not found". Deploy your TM just enough so that the green light comes on. The "motor not found" screen should go away. Go to the map screen on the Helix, place the cursor on a contour and hit the "goto" button. The "follow the contour screen should come up. If it does, you are good to go. Now my boat is within about 80 yds of the lake. If you are a long ways away try it on the nearest lake to your boats location. Hopefully, you still will be able to test it without being closer.

andersaki
Old 05-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Minnow

^ Thanks for the information provided Andersaki. I went to my dealer, because his phones are disconnected. (bad omen) He was not there.

So I stopped at Mills FF and found an "Ethernet Dongle - QDM" 5 pin unit. (PN 7200/4-1) The description says it fits 700, 800, 900 & 1100 series.....but nothing about Helix. (old stock?)

The floor salesperson said they had nothing else, and the Gander store across the street had nothing (figures) I went back to MFF and saw that the 5 Pin on the Helix 9 (they had in stock) fit to this dongle.....and decided to give it a try.

Connected things up on my boat on the lift. Everything seemed to work OK.....but I didn't take the boat off the lift. (did put the trolling motor down).

At this point "I assume" I am in operation but need to do more eval in a few days.....and may try a little fishing if the wind lets up and we get a bit warmer. Brrrrr.....nippy out tonight.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Wallhanger

Can you use any of the other iPilot Link features from your Helix? That will tell you if your connected properly or not. The Helix 10 requires an adapter to connect to the TM, are all connections tight? Correct adapter is "AS EC QDE" just fyi.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

That dongle will work, I'm using it on two Helix units.

I'd be back at my dealer demanding a refund, or something. That's complete crap that you have to deal with stuff like this.

Do they have a bunch of 8th grades in the Service Department?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
That dongle will work, I'm using it on two Helix units.

I'd be back at my dealer demanding a refund, or something. That's complete crap that you have to deal with stuff like this.

Do they have a bunch of 8th grades in the Service Department?
Yep. I did really get after him.....and he did make good on several of the issues I had with a new boat.

In defense of my dealer.....he had some real problems develop and several were beyond his control. I just got caught on a new boat trade when these things happened to him (fire and loss of some employees).....and that's the way it goes sometimes. I did pull the "irate customer card" at one point....and he did toe the line as well as he could.

It's all gonna work-out. The depth finder and trolling motor seem to be working now....but it's raining so I can't do a good test drive / fish.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 AM
Keeper

Glad it worked for you Foggy. I used mine for the first time this weekend, it's fabulous, absolutely fabulous.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy47 View Post
^ Thanks. Somethings to check for sure. I believe there is gonna be something like this lacking.

I have a few more rigging issues on my new boat......and the dealer messed up on several issues on my new boat. Made this a frustrating buying experience....exactly what I was trying to avoid. Grrrrrr

At least I have a little checking to do here......and I think I am going to make a call to MinnKota / Hummingbird
You'll know if it's a connection issue or not because there will be an indicator on your Humminbird that tells you when I-Pilot link is connected. It usually takes 15 seconds for it to sync once you deploy and turn on your trolling motor and turn your fish finder on.

Once you're over that hurdle and as you've said you've verified it is I-Pilot Link compatible, I totally understand what you're going through. Here's the key to all of this. Zoom all the way in using the + key on the map. Look at an area where you see a perfect straight line going left and right or up and down that's closest to your boat. Get the center of this cursor over that. If you can't get the exact center of the cursor over the line, you can also do it by getting the outer circle of the cursor over the line. If it's in-between, it won't work. The center is usually best because if the contour lines are too close together you might end up choosing the wrong line.

Also, a recent software update has fixed most of this problem. Be sure your serial number is registered on Humminbird's web site and get the latest version for your unit.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Minnow

Been cold and wet here....so a little hard to check this out. Tonight I went out....and played with Follow the Contour. I had quite a bit of difficulty to get the FTC screen up.....and more problems to maintain a chosen depth.

I cannot seem to pull screen up at will....and cannot choose a depth as shown on the youtube videos I have seen. It works....but not like it should. I had depth variations of over 10 feet.....not exactly what I need. ???

It got COLD....and I gave up after an hour or so. Fricken cold weather takes all the fun out of this.....and the tech is a bit elusive.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy47 View Post
Been cold and wet here....so a little hard to check this out. Tonight I went out....and played with Follow the Contour. I had quite a bit of difficulty to get the FTC screen up.....and more problems to maintain a chosen depth.

I cannot seem to pull screen up at will....and cannot choose a depth as shown on the youtube videos I have seen. It works....but not like it should. I had depth variations of over 10 feet.....not exactly what I need. ???

It got COLD....and I gave up after an hour or so. Fricken cold weather takes all the fun out of this.....and the tech is a bit elusive.
I hear you. I was up in the Brainerd Lakes Area working on my new boat on Saturday. It was raining all day long and didn't make it out of the 50's. Plus we had a strong wind.

As far as the depth variations, I think your problem is you need a heading sensor. If you got the new I-Pilot Link BT with the white Minn Kota heading sensor, you need to calibrate it. If you have last year's model (and before) of I-Pilot Link, then get the Humminbird heading sensor, and again calibrate it.

On my boat, I have I-Pilot Link BT. I had the same problem. The boat would not follow the contour. It was driving around like somebody was drunk and had no clue of the lake. As soon as I calibrated my Minn Kota heading sensor, it was spot on. I was amazed at how accurate it was.

Heading sensors are a must if you're going to follow the contour especially a weed line.

If you have the BT version (you'll know because it will come with a white heading sensor that says "Minn Kota" on it rather than saying Humminbird) here is a video on how to calibrate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbIT-MhfEJE