Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How Hard Do You Run Your Verado? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Keeper

Default How Hard Do You Run Your Verado?

I recently acquired a 2013 175 Verado with 81 hours on it. After 20 hours it's been in the shop once for a fuel float sensor and once for a stuck open thermostat. I recognized the thermostat issue early but because the engine was running so cold, fuel got in the crankcase and I needed a premature oil change. I read where you're supposed to run the Verado wide open as often as possible. Otherwise you can "make oil". This is my biggest concern.. I fish the Missouri river and it's rarely safe in my opinion to run wide open on the river, nor do I want to. Do you run your Verado WOT a lot? I read where you shouldn't tilt the motor all the way up. Do you tilt your motor all the way up? I also found I did not do my due diligence in researching this motor but that's completely my fault. I haven't bought a boat in 18 years... I haven't thrown the towel in on this yet...only had it 20 hours.. but I've learned some interesting things.

Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 04:45 AM
Wallhanger

I'm not a huge help, I don't run a Verado but I've read a lot about them over the last several years. The making oil issue was a problem but I recall it had to do with running the motor in very cold conditions. Further, I believe that's been taken care of in the newer models. As far as WOT, most engines benefit from running at WOT now and then. As far as running them at WOT as much as possible, I've never read where that's important.
Good luck, the Verado is a very good engine.
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT
Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 AM
Keeper

I'm no help because I don't run a verado but I can't imagine a company making an outboard that needs to be ran full throttle all the time. I'm never in a big hurry and I don't think my boat has ever been over 25 but I'm not on water very often where I could run wide open either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 AM
Keeper

Before I get myself in trouble let me clarify a little. Every time you take the boat out you should run it WOT for at least 5 minutes and especially before you load it up. I've also read that you should let it cool down before you shut it off. The harder you run it, the better it is for the engine. All my reading comes from Veradoclub.com. Now, just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true either....as they say. Hoping to get some responses from "experienced" Verado owners.. I truly hope this can still be an engine I'm glad to own.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Keeper

OP:

I have a 14' 200 I-4 Verado, and even though I don't have a ton of hours on it (Maybe 60 - 70), it has been one smoothe motor.

I cannot say one way or the other on making oil with the Verado, but FYI, Yamaha is a great motor and they are notoriously famous for making oil.

One thing I can say about outboards in general, they like to be driven like you stole them

I think that you are worried about nothing
Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Wallhanger

I don't own a Verado but can tell you that getting your engine to operating temp before running it hard and letting run at run for a couple minutes after running it hard is good for it. When you run an engine hard and turn it off right away you aren't allowing the built up heat to escape and essential cooking your motor because your not allowing it to bring in anymore cool water. I doubt you have drive it Wot everywhere to keep it happy. But doing the above will definitely help to keep her running good!
Hds 8&5
Terrova 80 ipilot

NPAA #409
Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
OP:

I have a 14' 200 I-4 Verado, and even though I don't have a ton of hours on it (Maybe 60 - 70), it has been one smoothe motor.

I cannot say one way or the other on making oil with the Verado, but FYI, Yamaha is a great motor and they are notoriously famous for making oil.

One thing I can say about outboards in general, they like to be driven like you stole them

I think that you are worried about nothing
I never heard that before about the Yamahas... I had a 1999 Honda that I know never made oil the whole time I had it. I really want to love this motor.. Thanks for the replies
Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM
guest who

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleap View Post
I haven't thrown the towel in on this yet...only had it 20 hours.. but I've learned some interesting things.

Thanks for the replies.
I think you've already learned what you're in store for with that lemon. There's a reason why the previous owner got rid of it. Do yourself a favor and dump it while you can. Verados are an unreliable money pit.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Generally - don't over complicate things.

You had a stuck "open" thermostat - that will absolutely result in diluted oil. But you've fixed that problem - right? Fixing the thermostat issue most likely fixes your diluted fuel issue.

But I'll add - treat your fuel, religiously. Merc has fuel additives, I sometimes run those and sometimes dump in Sea Foam. In either case - only treat to the label directions. You won't accomplish anything by dumping in more treatment that the directions call for.

Running wide open all the time? No. Getting up to temperature, and running on plane each trip for a continuous 5-6 minute period of time is good for any outboard because it allows the engine to reach operating temperature and maintain that condition for a reasonable period of time. That helps reduce sludge and run clean.

My Verado is a 2007 - I almost never run wide open, and never have diluted oil. Once I even had to add oil - so it's still a good idea to check your dip stick religiously - with any 4 stroke.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Generally - don't over complicate things.

You had a stuck "open" thermostat - that will absolutely result in diluted oil. But you've fixed that problem - right? Fixing the thermostat issue most likely fixes your diluted fuel issue.

But I'll add - treat your fuel, religiously. Merc has fuel additives, I sometimes run those and sometimes dump in Sea Foam. In either case - only treat to the label directions. You won't accomplish anything by dumping in more treatment that the directions call for.

Running wide open all the time? No. Getting up to temperature, and running on plane each trip for a continuous 5-6 minute period of time is good for any outboard because it allows the engine to reach operating temperature and maintain that condition for a reasonable period of time. That helps reduce sludge and run clean.

My Verado is a 2007 - I almost never run wide open, and never have diluted oil. Once I even had to add oil - so it's still a good idea to check your dip stick religiously - with any 4 stroke.
I don't use a transom saver (of which there are many threads in favor and against) so I tilt my motor all the way up, just like I've done with the 4 other motors I've owned. Do you ever do that? After bringing the motor back down, it's supposed to sit there for 5 minutes before starting... Like you said in the opening line, "don't over complicate things", but I feel this motor is absurdly complicated with rules to follow I've never been concerned about before.. Sounds like yours works great. Time will tell in the next few months whether it wins me over or breaks me...