Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Suel Houseboat Rental?? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red legs View Post
You can save considerably by doing two things. First secure your HB gas supply. A pad lock on the pumper keeps the occasional passerby from helping themselves. This happened to us once. Second take some of your own gas in cans. I usually get 30 gallons for a week on the water. My 1875 Lund impact with 115 merc usually uses about 50 gallons. Any cans left over can be put into your vehicle for trip home. This helps offset the 30-50% markup the outfitter will charge per liter. Most recent trip gas was in $1.85 liter range on water and $1.25 range at filling station. Empty cans can easily be carried in boat for transport. We fill generator from HB pump to ensure cost equalization for the group. This has to be a group decision to work. If group does not abide by this make sure individual pumping episodes are tracked by pumping into a can then to boat tank so as to track usage.
I wonder what the gas cost would be (approx.) for just the HB and 2 rental VIP boats for a week... going as far as Chamberlain?
Anyone? Thanks!
P.S. I'd LOVE to take my boat... but I'm not gonna trailer it from Colorado...
AND... I'd be scared sh----ss to navigate the rocks and reefs...
SO.... We will need to rent the camp boats...
HDS 8 Gen 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Minnow

Default gas issue

My best guess on the gas cost to Chamberlain Narrows with 2 VIPs is $800-$900
Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Minnow

Second $800-$900 range. Props are props. Rocks don't care if their yours or outfitters!!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

One more ?....
Where is a good place to buy a couple lbs. of Leeches coming from I. falls to Dryden?
Need Crawlers, too...
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 08-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Minnow

Default bait

Rainy Lake Sports and Tackle (right where you are leaving Ft.Francis on the left side)
Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Minnow

Default Rain lake sports.

Second them- they will sort leeches if ordered in advance. On crawlers would recommend you get them in US bed them in paper and keep them in a dedicated cooler. ( much more cost effective). We have a group of eight to ten guys every year and a flat gets us by for a full week of walleye fishing. We usually pair this with 3- 4 lbs of jumbo leeches. Leeches will come packed in plastic bags which are oxygenated. We keep them 24-48 hours in a cooler with card board over ice and lay the leeches on top of cardboard. ( no direct contact to ice.) when we arrive at final destination we acclimate them to lake water temp by placing bags into five gallon buÁkets filled with surface lake water for a matter of few hours so as not to " shock" them. This is key to keeping them healthy for all week. We then store them in five gallon buckets drilled with 1/64 inch holes all round sunk to bottom of lake off fan tail of boat. This works well and have very few slime or splitting problems with leeches.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Slot Fish

Wow! Lots of great info on this board. Planning a trip on Lac Seul with LSFL for 2017. Like many here trying to gauge fuel costs. Being that we planning on the third week of July (warmest temps for some in our party) we have decided on the Taylor Island area. I was told by the outfitter that a houseboat burns around 5gal per hour. Just wondering if this is in the ball park. Also going to hire a pilot so I can enjoy not hitting any rocks. Also wondering about the fishing in this area at this time of year. Most have been talking about areas far north of Taylor Island.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Keeper

Yes, about 5 gallons per hour is correct. You can expect about a 4 hour ride to the Taylor Island area. There will be a lot of houseboats around Taylor that time of year.

You will not need to go that far north to fish that time of year. You will probably do pretty good on humps in the big basins.

Hopefully you have a gps with the Lac Seul map. This will allow you to explore a little more.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Slot Fish

Hi Cuamb, Any other spot recommendations for that time of year. Just wondering if you end up working your way back to Hudson during the end of your stay. I do have maps and GPS and have been looking at Lac Seul with the Navionics web app.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Hi Guys... Hey, Our HB trip with Sioux Floating Lodges last July, took Us just North of the BEAR NARROWS area. We did hire a PILOT, towed 5 boats Up and Back, and used 3 of the 16' 40HP boats for 6.5 days...
Our total gas bill was just at $560 for the week... we did make a few 5-6 mile runs each morning with the small boats... mainly just short trips in the afternoon and evenings....
I didn't think that was too bad....
HDS 8 Gen 1