Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ontario moose hunt - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Notices

Old 10-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Minnow

Default Congrats Skyraptor

Looks to be about 47" guy. Did your wife also hunt. Do you mind telling what lake you hunted on and did you do any fishing while you were there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

hi Northerneyes, yes my wife also hunted as we had both a bull tag and a calf tag but we could not get close enough to a calf to get a good shot. We also would do some fishing mid-morning to get a shore lunch meal. The walleyes we in a different pattern and had to go deeper then summer patterns. We hunted moose mainly on Marchington and Dog lake in Ontario. Yes the bull measured about 47-48"
Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

To be honest we are just happy to go. Dad and I both have big bulls on the wall so we aren't to worried about harvesting large antlers. We are more excited about getting up there and the fact that the hunt is terribly cheap (bull tag and a cow tag). Neither of us care what we shoot. So I hope that should improve our success.

Regardless, doing an archery hunt with dad is more important than harvesting a moose.
Wade. What is terribly cheap? More than $1100 around Chapleau, for guaranteed tag, that is.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

To be honest we are just happy to go. Dad and I both have big bulls on the wall so we aren't to worried about harvesting large antlers. We are more excited about getting up there and the fact that the hunt is terribly cheap (bull tag and a cow tag). Neither of us care what we shoot. So I hope that should improve our success.

Regardless, doing an archery hunt with dad is more important than harvesting a moose.
Wade, I like your attitude. Sign of a true sportsman!

Frank
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Wallhanger

Have a couple of questions for you experienced Ontario guys:

1) Is it true DIY? if so, any areas or locations? I'm not looking for your secret spots or GPS cords, but area like NW, SE, area.

2) Whats it cost? Cheap is a different term for a lot of people.

3) I seen someone say something about a calf tag, they issue tags to shoot a 6 month old animal? Or was it suppose to be a cow tag?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Wade. What is terribly cheap? More than $1100 around Chapleau, for guaranteed tag, that is.
Around $1500-$2000 per hunter depending on the number of hunters. 2-3 hunters.

That is a bull and a cow tag ($3,000). You can add a calf tag if you want to add another hunter.

I say cheap but I've paid around $10,000 for fully guided hunts. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 10-28-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Minnow

The amount of DIY can vary. Some outfitters will supply boats and/or canoes, gas and flying in and out of a lake and you supply EVERY thing else. When I was younger this was my favorite type of hunt. On the other end of the spectrum some outfitters supply every thing including a guide. You basically show up with your hunting equipment and lots of money. There are hunts that are in between these two extremes. Most fly-in lakes in northwestern Ontario are located in moose territory. The farther north you go the earlier the season opens. The best moose populations are usually in the mid north areas. North of hiway 17 has worked best for us. I have used several different outfitters over the years. Some of the ones I liked and are in in business are Wilderness Air out of Vermillion Bay, Ignace Airways out of Ignace, and Thunderhook out of Armstrong. Most outfitters will give a cost that will be less for a larger number in a party. Licenses cost is about $500 and is extra. Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

My brother is now guiding people. Basically a DIY hunt. He put his co-worker on a trophy bow bull this fall and said it was the most satisfying hunt he as been on even though he never shot. He instead called them in.
He offered to take me next year and said it would cost $5-6000. I'm not a bow hunter so I'm not interested. Not to mention the severe isolation for an entire week. I don't think my job could handle that.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Keeper

Great bull! Was that a guided hunt or DIY?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Slot Fish

Wade, You will have to tell me how you do with the Moose hunting at Pasha. I go to Onaman River Resort quite a bit Lake Trout fishing so I am very familiar with the area. If you have a good experience there with moose I would be interested in that. I'll have to check out their web site too.
I see a lot of moose in the spring when going down the Onaman river to fish trout in Nipigon Lake.