Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
high power binoc's - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default high power binoc's

Anyone use higher than normal power bino's? Looking at the Nikon Monarch 5 16X56. I have looked through the Vortex 15X50 and they are pretty good. I have a set of 10X50 Leupold and they are nice. Drew a deer tag that will benefit from higher power but they need to be good. I looked at Swarovski, Vortex, Leupold, B&L HD, but haven't held a set of the Nikons yet. The Swarovski are a bit out of my price range. I could swing the Vortex if they are the best choice. Didn't bother with the Zeiss....to much $$$$$

Don't really want a spotting scope as they are harder to drag around. I have a Burris spotting scope and rarely use it.

The Crusher
H-bird 1197 and 997
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Keeper

I have a Tamaron spotting scope. Swarovski 10x42EL compacts, 10x50 Swarovski's, 12x42 Leupold, 8x40 Zeiss and honestly the compact Burris i picked up for a friend last year are the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank...Chico...
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Wallhanger

Vortex gets my vote. They also have excellent customer service should you ever need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

A tripod adapter or other stabilizing aid is almost necessary. There's a column at
24hourcampfire.com about big glass.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Keeper

I have 8 and 10 power.
For most conditions the 8 power is all you need the 10 is too powerful and at times hard to pick out the animal.
Something like cranking your scope p and then trying to shoot an animal at close quarters, very hard to initially pick it up.
This will depend on the area you hunt, wide open spaces are better suited to higher power optics of course.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Keeper

I also have a pair of 8 and 10 power Nikon Monarch 5. Tried a pair of 12 power and just a little too strong for me. You would get too much shake unless they where on a tripod which can't always happen. Very happy with the newer Nikon 10 and lens quality and they don't break the bank. And garrenteed for life
Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Wallhanger

www.betterviewdesired.com has comparisons of optics and articles about choosing brands, power, etc. It's a birdwatcher site, so what works for them will be great for game viewing. Don't expect to finish your research on that site in an hour or two, there's enough good information there to take up a whole stormy evening.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:44 PM
Wallhanger

Hello : Have you looked at Steiner ? Used to have a pair, I think they were 20 x 56 . I thought they were great for the price. Good Luck. O - R
Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Wallhanger

If you're using a 15x binocular you should really be using a tripod. Nikon makes very good glass (in fact the only company out there that makes their own glass) they are not as good as Swarovski but they are a much better price.

Vortex CS is great - and odds are much better that you will have to use it than any other optic company in that price range.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
Vortex CS is great - and odds are much better that you will have to use it than any other optic company in that price range.
Why is that?