Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova iPilot Burning Through Batteries - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 different Ipilots; one is a Terrova and another is a Powerdrive. Different remote styles. The batteries in both remotes last years...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

So my frustration of burning through batteries was enough that I bought another remote. It seems to be better, but I have already burned through 2 batteries this year (about 60-80 hours of remote use). So getting 30-40 hours per battery which seems on the low end. Anyone else having these issues? When not in use, the remote is in a hanging position and nothing is turned on.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Lake,
You can do a test on your remote.

Make a couple of clips - with a pad on the end of each with an insulation on the side of one of them.

Then, slip the two pads between the battery and the spring ground return if that is the style batteries that are being used.

Then, connect the clips to a milliammeter and check for current draw in all positions and uses of your remote.

You may discover that at some time when you think that the remote is off, it is actually on pulling current from the battery.

p.s.
If you don't know what you are doing and if the connections are not easy to connect - don't do it.
You don't want to short out your remote or burn up something.

Good luck

Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Lake,
You can do a test on your remote.

Make a couple of clips - with a pad on the end of each with an insulation on the side of one of them.

Then, slip the two pads between the battery and the spring ground return if that is the style batteries that are being used.

Then, connect the clips to a milliammeter and check for current draw in all positions and uses of your remote.

You may discover that at some time when you think that the remote is off, it is actually on pulling current from the battery.

p.s.
If you don't know what you are doing and if the connections are not easy to connect - don't do it.
You don't want to short out your remote or burn up something.

Good luck
It is a button style battery, and the cover needs to be on in order for it to work. The cover is water tight and you won't be able to run have clips to the negative and positive to check amp draw.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:21 PM
Slot Fish

I use to go through batteries then I realized that the remote isn't completely waterproof. On hot days in Cali my son and I would take turns soaking each other with super soaker. The remote would get wet and the battery would be dead by the next trip. Is yours getting wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokerookie View Post
I use to go through batteries then I realized that the remote isn't completely waterproof. On hot days in Cali my son and I would take turns soaking each other with super soaker. The remote would get wet and the battery would be dead by the next trip. Is yours getting wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fish in the rain without hesitation - that is about the only place I can think that it is getting wet.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Lake,
You also might always remove at least one battery - if there are more than one in the remote when not using it. that will guarentee that nothing can be turned on when the remote is not being used.

Possibly a light or similar is being left on when the remote is not being used.

Good luck
Old 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Lake,
You also might always remove at least one battery - if there are more than one in the remote when not using it. that will guarentee that nothing can be turned on when the remote is not being used.

Possibly a light or similar is being left on when the remote is not being used.

Good luck

The remote shuts off automatically when the terrova/ulterra is stored or the powerdrive is unplugged. Or when no buttons have been pressed in I think 20 minutes, I know my remote shuts itself off when spot locked for a while but not sure on the exact time. If you try to press a button on the remote while the motor is stored or unplugged, the remote will just flash all the icons for about a second and shut off.

The link remote might be different.

Although mine is just 6 months old, I am still seeing near full charge on the battery.

Make sure you are using CR2450N batteries.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Wallhanger

Possibly if there is a poor connection it might use more power. If your using the CR2450 battery without the N then its a bit thinner. Stick a dime on top of the battery then put the cover back on. Had troubles with my remote turning off until i did the dime fix and it solved the issue.
Terrova
Hydro Wave
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I fish about 200 hrs a year using the Terrova all the time. I will use one battery and be on my second when I put the boat away in the fall.
HB Helix 12 SI
101 Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
w5