Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
EZEE Step Start to finish WOW - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 11:20 AM

Bobby. When you're alone and loading your boat on the trailer at the dock, how do you winch it up and stay dry. As I get older and less flexible (fatter too) I just can't step out on the tongue like I used to and hook up, and then get back in the boat without a bit of a struggle. Do you have any tips or strategies that you can share that might keep me from bustin a nut or keep from getting wet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
I put thousands of miles on my trailer every year, and over some rough roads. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the ezee steps hanging off my trailer frame. Seems like a lot of weight and leverage hanging out in space. I lost a couple loadguides through vibration and cracking near welds. I'm able to step over onto my spare, then down to the trailer tongue. I'm 69 y/o, so there will probably come a time where steps will be needed. I' be looking for something more compact.
I think Ezee Steps weigh about as much as a battery, probably less. Can't even imagine welds breaking but, ya never know. I too drive thousands of miles a year pulling my boat all over the Great Lakes and Ontario, on some very rough roads at times too. Never, not once, has there been an issue with Ezee Steps hanging off the trailer frame. I take that back. If you park in a jack knife kind of position and leave it that way, you may have some difficulty walking/crossing over the tongue because there may not be enough room for you. (If you're fat like me that is.) But never have I been concerned that the Ezee Steps would bang my vehicle, because I've tried on purpose when I first got them.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Bobby. When you're alone and loading your boat on the trailer at the dock, how do you winch it up and stay dry. As I get older and less flexible (fatter too) I just can't step out on the tongue like I used to and hook up, and then get back in the boat without a bit of a struggle. Do you have any tips or strategies that you can share that might keep me from bustin a nut or keep from getting wet?
When launching alone I take off my winch cable just before backing it into the water. I slowly back in until my fenders are completely covered with water, which is deep then retrieval. At this point I walk out onto the dock and step in the boat. Start motor and use motor in reverse to motor off the trailer. Tie up at the end of dock and park truck.

On the retrieve I dock boat at end of dock and back trailer into water to completely drown support pads and side guide pads to lubricate them. I then pull the trailer out until the fenders are about 4-6" out of the water. Untie boat and drive onto trailer. I have mud boots for the cold water months in the truck or just go barefoot in the summer to winch the last 6 - 12" onto the trailer OR I can just pull the truck up a little and winch that last little bit in place.

How this helps and you don't damage the family jewels........

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra

Old 01-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Keeper

That would work would work fine as long as there is a dock, Bobby !! I have no doubt !!! I have fished lots of places with out docks and I caught fish . But they were always places I hated to fish be myself because of the loading and unloading . Now I can fish them a lot easier when by myself . I regards to the welds holding up I have put lots of miles on boat trailers with a welded spare tire bracket the tire standing straight up and me using it for a step in and out of the boat when loading and the spare didn't come loose . Good quality trailers !!! The workmanship on these steps is of really good quality . I haven't yet pulled them down the road but I am sure that they will be still working good for a long time. They just feel solid when I step on them . I can't wait to start the new season and fish the lakes before they put the docks in this year now .
Tight lines,
Rick
Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

These welds are not going to fail. They are built strong, and can take a lot of weight. I know...some of my customers are pretty big fellas!

As far as hitting the bumper...I have had them on my last 4 boats, and never came close to hitting my bumper.

As for hitting the steps while loading....it's never happened to me, but I'm loading a heavy Ranger on a bunk trailer, and the boat stops short before I have to use engine power to power load it. I can't speak for other boat/trailer combos, or operator ability. Could it happen? Sure, anything can happen. But, I think if you're aware that it could happen to you, you would be quick on the reverse throttle to keep it from happening if you hit the bunks or rollers wrong.

Like I said before...I will never have another trailer without these steps. They make my life SO MUCH easier than before I ever used them, I would cry if I had to go back to the old way of doing things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZEEStepsIMG_5540.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	240394   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZEEStepsIMG_5541.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	240402   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZEEStepsIMG_5555.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	240410  
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2

Last edited by Juls; 02-01-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Jules pictures gave me a better understanding of the mounting. The OP's pictures looked like everything was hanging off one point. I see that there are 2 mounting points, one for the first pair of steps, and one for the third step. I like that, but I still couldn't go with the handrail. Still see that guide on bouncing down the highway behind me! Actually the welds don't usually fail, it's the material next to the weld. I'm guessing the heat from the weld weakens the steel.
Now for a little tease, nothing says geezer, like a handrail to get into your boat! LOL!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Slot Fish

Hi guys and gals. First off I'd like to thank Eyeman and all my past customers for their great posts and comments on my steps. Reading through the post I thought I would hopefully answer some questions about my steps. Each step system is custom built to fit you and you boat and trailer. I use the Highest Qualityproducts offering you the SAFEST and STRONGEST product on the market that is 100% made in the USA. I have customers as Big as 450 lbs using my steps. I have them all over the USA and Canada in some of the harshest environments. From salt water to extreme gravel road travel they have withstood the elements. In 15 yrs I've only had 1 piece fail and IT was to no fault of mine but I still took care of it for Free. I believe that customer service is number one in any successful business. In 15 yrs I haven't heard of 1 customer hitting their step while loading in ANY condition nor while sharp turning. I'm not saying it CANT be done if you get reckless. I started making steps before there were any such thing on the market. It started out as a hobby and has grown into a full fledged business. I have been at my full time job for 38 yrs and and with EZEE STEP growing so much these 100 hr work weeks are wearing on this body. With that said I have decided to Sell Ezee Step to a Company in Muscatine Iowa. Rest assured to all my past and future customers, I am staying with the company to handle all the orders and sales. NOTHING will change as far as QUALITY, STRENGTH or customer service. I am ready to see Ezee Step go to the next level and In fact there is a NEW REMOVABLE GRAB POLE. If anyone has any questions at all please feel free to call me at 815-252-6771.

Mark ( stepman)

Last edited by Juls; 02-01-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Keeper

Congratulations Mark and thanks for posting. When the new situation is ready to go, could you post a quick note as I'm interested in the removable pole/handle. I got my steps before you were doing much of that. Thank You.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Slot Fish

I will for sure chysteve and Thanks. We almost have it worked out for new orders but have to design it to adapt to prior orders like yours. It's going to be a nice set up. The demand for my steps have exceeded all my expectations and has gotten to be way to much for just myself. The guys buying my business are very good. Their attention to detail and Quality is almost as anal as mine is. They also have the ability to take the business to the next level. Selling the business I built with a product I designed is a little bitter sweet so when they asked if I would stay on and handle the all the sales and help with the future designs I jumped at the chance. I still get to stay involved while freeing up a lot of time to enjoy the things I've missed.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Jules pictures gave me a better understanding of the mounting. The OP's pictures looked like everything was hanging off one point. I see that there are 2 mounting points, one for the first pair of steps, and one for the third step. I like that, but I still couldn't go with the handrail. Still see that guide on bouncing down the highway behind me! Actually the welds don't usually fail, it's the material next to the weld. I'm guessing the heat from the weld weakens the steel.
Now for a little tease, nothing says geezer, like a handrail to get into your boat! LOL!
Three mounting points, actually. The first is its own...the middle step replaces the factory step from Ranger (but doesn't mount the same way the Ranger step does....it's stronger), and the top step is its own mount too.

You would want the grab bar....trust me on that one. Once you go without one, and then add one, you'll ask yourself why the heck you ever wanted to go without one.

And, they are now making a removable grab bar for those long drives down the road, so you wouldn't have to see it in your rearview mirror, if you don't want to.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2