Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
MarCum or Vex flasher! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Wallhanger

I've owned Vexilars since before they were Vexilars.

Vex FL8, FL18,FL20 & FLX28

Loved them all! Never had a problem with any of them.

Do your self a favor and pick up at least the 18. You will be very happy you got the zoom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

I have an lx6 (higher end) and just bought my boy an fl8. Definitely get something with zoom if you fish over 10 feet of water.

I enjoy the actual graph more than the flasher now. If I was looking for best bang for the dollar, I would probably go with the helix ice unit w gps.

That said, if you can only afford fl8, it is much better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Keeper

Do you guys have any thoughts on the MarCum showdown?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by team walleye View Post
Do you guys have any thoughts on the MarCum showdown?

I have seen the good and the bad w people I have fished w in the past. One kept blowing fuses and had to be sent back, worked good after that. One had some sort of screen failure and the guy just bought a new flasher rather than deal with it. I would much rather have some color on my flasher (even though I am close to completely colorblind).

The other two that I know of have had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 AM
Slot Fish

I have a Marcum LX5 and I love it. Vexliars are good but I think the Marcum is better because you can make the lines nice and small on the screen. I can turn the gain down so that my smallest jig is a single barely noticeable line. With the Vexilars that I have ran, even if the gain is turned down all the way down, my smallest jig still looks like it is 6" and very big on the screen. If you have a depthfinder/graph on your boat, another option is to convert that over to an ice fishing unit. I did that with Humminbird 798 and it works well too. I mainly use that for GPS but I have used it for graphing fish also. The best bet is to go to a store that carries them and look them over side by side.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Wallhanger

marcum has the best tech, vexilar has the best reliability. humminbirds are good tech good reliability.

i've used mulitple vexilars, marcums, and humminbirds and i'd choose marcum again. i have their lx5 and i think its still hands down the best unit on the market. even compared to the lx6 and 7.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnd View Post
marcum has the best tech, vexilar has the best reliability. humminbirds are good tech good reliability.

i've used mulitple vexilars, marcums, and humminbirds and i'd choose marcum again. i have their lx5 and i think its still hands down the best unit on the market. even compared to the lx6 and 7.
I definitely agree with this statement, however I've owned Marcums since their introduction many years ago. Years ago I sent one LX-5 back to factory because it was abused so much on the back of my ATV/snowmobile that it needed re-calibration. I had it back in my hands within a few days and still works great today. I use it year round in the boat....thousands of hours of use I'm sure.

Marcum LX-3tci of LX-5 is what I would recommend. You can find used ones listed for sale.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
The zoom spreads out the area on your flasher dial where the fish are.

For example, if you are fishing in 6 FOW (from transducer at bottom of ice to the lake bottom), in normal mode, the six feet is shown on your flasher dial from 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock. (There is 20' on the entire dial, so 5' down is at 3, 10' is at 6 o'clock, 15 at 9.

In zoom mode, that six feet is spread out to half of the dial, almost doubling the area on your graph making it easier to see individual fish, weeds, etc. So if you are fishing a pocket in the weeds for gills, and there are a bunch of fish on the screen, you can focus on the larger fish.

If you are in 8 FOW, you can zoom in on the bottom 5' and it will spread that 5' from 12 o'clock to 6' o'clock, doubling the area from normal mode.

Video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TZ5QaA2z7Q

He gets into zoom about 5 minutes in.
Very good video. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

Marcum also has a flat rate repair service for $80.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Keeper

I used my father in laws MarCum aLX-3tc today. Nice unit.