Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tractor seat suspension for boat - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

A good captain will take care of his boat, as well as his passengers and will not drive in a way to abuse or damage his boat - no matter the comfort of his passengers.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Keeper

Grammer is the brand that JD uses. to get a replacement seat it is about $1200. https://www.tractorseats.com/c-45-suspensions.aspx seems like a good place for prices. I would bet that smooth move seats are a mechanical tractor seat suspension with the custom plate for a base and custom plate for attaching a seat.
NPAA #890
Old 01-31-2017, 10:19 AM
Wallhanger

Here are the specs on the suspension.
The travel length is 4 5/16" inches.
Driver weight 110 to 330 lbs.

I did this because I go in for back fusion surgery in 2 weeks so hopefully it will allow me to continue my life's passion, if things turn out well.

I imagine when you're on rough water, you would adjust the stiffness of the ride depending on how rough the water was at that given time. You can set it to where it doesn't sink at all when you are seated or soften it up to where it may sink an inch when you sit down.

As far as the seat suspension from Tractor Supply, I tried to think that one through also but I was afraid that it would protrude too far behind the seat and I'd end up hitting my steering wheel or motor controls when I swiveled the seat around. I cant tell if the Tractor Supply suspension gives you a shock dampener. I like the idea of everything under the seat and out of the way, and also gives you approximately 25% more travel length than the Tractor Supply suspension.

Last edited by drbrand; 02-01-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes I wonder if we're just headed to something that already exists, and just have not admitted the few things that stand in the way are minimal?

http://gpartsinc.com/prime-seating-6...-yoaAqTr8P8HAQ

Make it swivel

Make it waterproof

Deal with the air pressure adjustment challenge where there is no air compressor
Old 01-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATatonic View Post
I have been wanting to try a similar modification to these seats as they are only $99 at Tractor Supply.

Attachment 240250

I was also looking at that for my dad.
Please post a picture when you finish!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:11 AM
Slot Fish

I think that's quality work. I'm sure it'll add to the comfort of your boat.

Just looking at some of the seat-makers online.... They have a LOT of travel with their marine seats.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

DR, great job, very cool idea.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Wallhanger

D'oh! Those are the exact seat suspension systems on most of our golf course mowing equipment. We also have one with the air ride. I would not recommend the air ride, high failure and lots of maintenance. The spring loaded is very comfortable and adjustable according to one's weight but it is just "there" Not sure how it would act in waves. Please let us know how it works out for you, I may have a mower without a suspension seat this summer!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
So... your Uncle, Brother, Dad is going out to his shed this spring and finding his tractor seat gone?

Our JD tractor seats are air rides and I've day dreamed about how I could install one in a boat. Or at least the suspension part. They are really nice seats and very comfortable on fourteen or fifteen hour days. They swivel or lock, adjust forward and rear and have shock absorption front to back besides up and down. Problem is just one of them would double the value of my old boat.

Who's seat did you use? It looks all mechanical. Good idea and the spunk to follow through with an idea.

Pooch
Pooch I was thinking the same thing one day last summer baling hay. We are re-working an older Maxuum we bought, winter project, maybe I can use some parts from it.
BTW it was a 1972 rebuilt JD 4020 I was on. still a good seat. Darn thing looks new!LOL

Paul

Last edited by northernbite; 02-03-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Wallhanger

If anyone plans to give this a try with the same suspension I used or if anyone needs advice assembling this, let me know. I'd be curious to know your thoughts.