Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tractor seat suspension for boat - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Keeper

Default Suspension seats

I'm ahead by a year. Built a set last spring after a back muscle pull from rough water kept me on land for a couple weeks. Happy-Happy-Happy. PM if you want to know more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Keeper

We could use this one and not need an air compressor. Might need a couple more batteries though.
elite HDI-7
Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

I noticed 13 seat suspensions have sold from the link on ebay since I started this thread. I'd like to hear from those who decided to give this a try and your review of the suspension.

Also I just saw a commercial of the similar boat suspension and notice these have the same internal setup with 4 springs and 1 shock dampener.

Just a tip, when you are building the plate to mount the slide rails to the seat, I would run the bolts through the nuts, then through the plate, then into the black tractor seat. Then tack weld the nuts to the plate. This way you insure the four bolt pattern on the plate you're making matches the factory bolt pattern on the bottom of the black tractor seat that comes with the suspension.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Keeper

Default Suspension seats

Just built a batch of them for some Friends. Gonna make more soon. Anybody interested ? PM me
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=drbrand;5344265]I noticed 13 seat suspensions have sold from the link on ebay since I started this thread. I'd like to hear from those who decided to give this a try and your review of the suspension.

Also I just saw a commercial of the similar boat suspension and notice these have the same internal setup with 4 springs and 1 shock dampener.

Just a tip, when you are building the plate to mount the slide rails to the seat, I would run the bolts through the nuts, then through the plate, then into the black tractor seat. Then tack weld the nuts to the plate. This way you insure the four bolt pattern on the plate you're making matches the factory bolt pattern on the bottom of the black tractor seat that comes with the suspension.[/QUOTE

I did it a little differently. I bolted the adapter plate to the runners and then inserted them into the mating runners on the base unit. I tightened the nuts with everything alinged so the plate would slide freely. With the plate in place on the runners, I am going to tack the nuts then disassemble and finish the weld.
Hope that makes sense.

Marty
Old 02-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

Got it done today.....Can't wait to give it a try! Will try to add pictures tomorrow!

Marty
Old 02-27-2017, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

I want to thank drbrand for posting the details of his creation and answering a few fabrication questions. The mount came our perfect and the seat functions great in the shop. Couple more weeks and I'll report back on the field trial.

Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat seat.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	245081  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Wallhanger

Great to hear it worked Marty. Hope to try mine out soon this spring. I ended up putting a pair in my boat because I didn't want the passenger looking at me with envy when the water got rough.

Also, the pedestal and swivel that I found that works well is the Garelick Low Profile Seat Pedestal 75404 and Garelick Swivel Seat Mount Top Smooth 99036. They swivel and lock in any position. The post and swivel will run you right at $100 at Wholesale Marine. My Ranger has Garelick bases. The Garelick base has a 9 1/4" bolt pattern. If you have a Garelick base already, it should bolt right up to your existing holes in your floor. If you have another brand, its most likely a 9" bolt pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
I want to thank drbrand for posting the details of his creation and answering a few fabrication questions. The mount came our perfect and the seat functions great in the shop. Couple more weeks and I'll report back on the field trial.

Marty

Last edited by drbrand; 03-13-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Slot Fish

I'm finally "semi" finished with mine. I used the $99 seat/suspension available at Tractor Supply. I need to cut the pedestal down as the seat sits too high but other than that seems to work well. I bought the seat/suspension, a bracket, and a new pedestal. Total investment $157.

Plan on doing a water test this weekend (weather permitting). If I like it, I'll be doing the passenger side as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	248170  

Last edited by KATatonic; 03-15-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Wallhanger

Just a word of advice when mounting a new locking pedestal in your boat, place the seat on the pedestal and lock it in the forward position. Then place the pedestal and seat in the boat where you plan to mount it and mark the holes.

Do not try to place just the pedestal in the boat and mark the holes. You could find out once you mount the seat, the seat could be off a degree or two from facing straight ahead when locked in the forward position.