Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye spinning reel "super" line preferences - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1K1MOA View Post
It is interesting to hear the various setups and how people are using them. My conclusion is one spool braid and one XL, and to really test the braid vs. XL this June.

So the question is Suffix 832 or Spiderwire on a SPINNING reel that maintains castability, etc.? Thinking 10 or 12# mono equivalent.

My other question is anyone ever test break on these braids? Is 10# braid breaking close to that?

Thank you all for your great input!
Don't know about the braid choices you mention being flexible enough to cast, but I do know that Invisibraid is. Also, regardless of which braid, I'd advise a short leader of mono or something like Suffix to enable an easier jig change or intentional breakoff in the case of rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
Don't know about the braid choices you mention being flexible enough to cast, but I do know that Invisibraid is. Also, regardless of which braid, I'd advise a short leader of mono or something like Suffix to enable an easier jig change or intentional breakoff in the case of rocks.

Plus a little more abrasion resistance with the leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Although I have done the switch from mono to braid and back to mono. I personalty didn't like the feel of braid, it always felt that I was missing fish by pulling the jig right out of their mouth where mono's stretch give me a little more margin. Today my line of choice is P-Line CX flourocoated Mono in moss green. It is extra thin but very strong as I use 8# test and it has the same diameter as most 6# test mono's. Like all mono's a day of jigging does leave it twisted up, I pull it behind the boat on my way back to reset it.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Keeper

100% braid for nearly 20 years, 75% with a flouro leader.

First year or so I was snapping braid on rocks while jigging, snapping it on hook sets. braid has improved alot and has reduced these issues alot, but my experience with braid has had the biggest impact. I don't think I have had fireline break or snap in 10 years(except breaking off snags). Power pro still breaks now and then, but I use it alot in saltwater, and nanofil will rub itself apart with very little abrasion resistance.

75% fireline

20% powerpro

5% trying new line. Currently Nanofil(great caster but low abrasion resistance) and Suffix 832(hate it, its like a tiny limp rope).

I did have an inshore rod spooled with 14lb XL, fished it for an hour and caught a few fish, I just had to swap it out with braid the stretch and lack of sensitivity just wasn't acceptable.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Minnow

Some great info in this thread, thanks everyone for your comments.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

Being on the water daily as a guide ive tested all braids since they came out.ive found that they all seem good to me.75% of my time on the water is spent chasing walleye and i have been using 6# suffix and have no problems,jigging,lindy rigging,drop shotting,casting.i use 6#gamma floura as my leader material and have for years.i always spool on my new line tight and connect braid to floura with a double uni knot.some spools will need backing ir some electrical tape on the spool to hold the braid from slipping unless you have the spools that are made for braid and i still use backing or tape on those.6# line will catch anything in any lake if your hook is in the right spot.during my walleye days i have caught numerous pike and muskies and some large lake trout.casting a 1/8 oz jig is not a problem with this setup.i have a number of st.Croix rods with abu garcia orra reels on.i also have been using these set ups on my ice fishing gear.only thing i would have to say would be to make sure that reels are in good working order.of course i use the 80# braid on my pike/myskie setups with 80# gamma for my leader line.no swivel.double uni to connect those two also.
might add that if you do get hung up which does happen i do carry a piece of dowel in my biat to wrap my braid around so i can break the floura.be carefull not to be jerking on your rod as the braid is strong and you could break your rod at this point.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Mjayn..........have been using Fireline for a dozen years now, both the clear and the grey, love it for sensitivity and good wear characteristics, it last for years on the reel , and so cost is a moot point ......and snags with jigs , you can usually bend the hook before it would ever break so you get back more of those snags without losing tackle

Last edited by Wawajake; 03-08-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricSlide19 View Post
One huge benefit is that braid has less stretch and thus is more sensitive than mono. And actually believe it or not, braid also has less memory. Another huge benefit is that 10# braid has the equivalent of most 2# mono line diameters. The only real draw back is that braid is more expensive than mono. The way to combat this is to fill your spool halfway with mono as a backing and then add around 75-100 yards of your braid. I have yet to find a walleye that is going to spool a reel and have never gotten down to my backing. Braid casts great as well, and I would even argue better than mono. If you are jigging for eyes then in my opinion braid trumps mono all day. Now, if you start lindy rigging, then you would want to use mono, because it has more stretch and will not allow the fish to feel you as well before you feed him line. I myself just like the 10# power pro, but I think you could even get away with 6-8 # and be just fine.
I've been using the same spool of Tuf-line braid for 3 years now and its like new yet only limper. Mono also takes on aromas in the boat, garage, etc. wherever it is stored.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Keeper

Fireline for me, flame green in 6-8# test. I've tried power pro and I believe fireline holds up better in the rocks. No leader unless I'm using a spoon.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

So what did we learn from all this.......picking the correct line for your new set up by asking us, is like asking for every ones favorite BEER.

Seems like you can't go wrong with any, and it's as much personal preference than anything else. Remember KISS.