Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2017 Alumacraft Competitor 185 Tiller - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have the 185 with a Yamaha? I ordered the new Yamaha F90b which is supposed to have a touch more torque and HP. I'm really curious on what my performance will be like. The dealer marked me down for a SS prop on the order form, so I get to play around with a few to find the best fit.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamdaman View Post
Anyone have the 185 with a Yamaha? I ordered the new Yamaha F90b which is supposed to have a touch more torque and HP. I'm really curious on what my performance will be like. The dealer marked me down for a SS prop on the order form, so I get to play around with a few to find the best fit.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Can't help you too much on your question...I've never been in one with a 90 Yamaha.

From what I've seen is most guys see about 33-35 with a Yamaha. But, I can't help you with the prop selection.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Keeper

Quote:

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Here is an older Yamaha performance report on a Competitor 185 tiller with a 90.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/def...9-27_alm_0.pdf

This is the previous 1.6L engine and not the new 1.8L F90B model (which should have a little more power).

Old 05-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Minnow

Quote:

Any Ideas?

Thanks
I also ordered a competitor 185 with the new Yamaha 90. I am also curious what of performance I will get.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Minnow

Default RPM Touch Troll

I am curious how the touch troll feature on your tiller handle works.........does it adjust RPM in increments of 50, 100......
Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I am curious how the touch troll feature on your tiller handle works.........does it adjust RPM in increments of 50, 100......
I have the 2017 Competitor 175 with the Yamaha F75 which is basically a detuned F90 and the touch troll feature works well. Ergonomically, it's a bit shrouded by the shifter handle when in forward gear but not a show stopper.

LM
Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Minnow

Alright guys. I've had a chance to play around in the boat more over the weekend and a few other days here and there.

Anyways, I've been paying attention to my RPMs at WOT, and I'm seeing about 52-5300 RPMs when trimmed out, and a top speed of 35ish. So, if I got a different prop, say a 17 pitch, I would lose RPM, correct? As I've mentioned, right now the boat has a Rebel 15 and a 14.75" diameter 3 blade.

I'm planning to order another prop, but my local Evinrude dealer doesn't stock a lot of props, so I can't test them before buying.

Thanks for any assistance
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Slot Fish

Since Esoxman has the same rig as you, and he's running a 17 Viper with good results....
That's where I'd start.

If you were getting another Rebel you'd want to go down in pitch (assuming an accurate tach).
The Viper is a different style prop with a smaller diameter. Not really apples to apples.

Honestly though the height of the motor is the first thing to get right.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireLine View Post
Since Esoxman has the same rig as you, and he's running a 17 Viper with good results....
That's where I'd start.

If you were getting another Rebel you'd want to go down in pitch (assuming an accurate tach).
The Viper is a different style prop with a smaller diameter. Not really apples to apples.

Honestly though the height of the motor is the first thing to get right.
Yeah, sorry, not trying to ignore what he has. I guess I'm just still learning this whole prop selection thing.

So, you mention that the Viper has a smaller diameter, I assume that would allow the motor to rev more, since there's less mass that's needing to be spun by the motor. Which, then would allow me to go up in pitch. Am I understanding that correctly?

I will see if a local shop will hoist the motor, I was told I should bring it up one hole. Or maybe I can use my lift caddy or forklift at work to lift the motor.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 AM
Slot Fish

Raising the engine will increase your rpm without doing anything else, sometimes quite a bit especially with a good stainless prop. I really am not familiar with the Rebel props at all, and I am not a propeller engineer, but different style props just act differently. And yes a larger diameter prop ~should~ see a little lower rpm for the same pitch, but there are all sorts of other prop design features at work as well. That's why it's nice that Esoxman has your exact rig and has had good results with a 17 pitch Viper. It's a good shortcut to a starting point for you!
Every rig (even the same model) performs a little different, but you'll still have a leg up.
I used a forklift and a lifting strap to raise an engine on one of my boats before....it works.