Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Broken Ranger Winch Strap - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Keeper

Default Broken Ranger Winch Strap

Curious if anyone else is having a similar issue that I am? I own a 2014 Ranger 620 nothing different than most i.e. 250 Pro, 9.9 Kicker, and MK 112 bow mount. I have had the boat since new. I noticed from the start that normally when I winch the boat to the front bow roller if I don't pull it up to the hook under the roller to the ring once I come out of the water the boat sits about 2-3" from the roller. I have already broken 2 winch straps at the hook ring I called the dealer to ask if something might be out of adjustment I was told everything sounded normal I even sent photos of loading backed in the water, and after coming out of the water. Is it normal to have to winch hook under the roller? I'm hoping some of the ranger owners can tell me how their winch straps are holding up?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat winch.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	253858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken winch strap.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	539.5 KB
ID:	253866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken winch strap 2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	253874  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Minnow

You are probably backing the trailer to far into the water. The back of your boat is floating too much so when you pull the boat out the back end sits down which then lifts the front of the boat away from the roller. Easy fix, just don't back the trailer so far in when loading your boat.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

No problems with mine. Looks just like your pics. It's also a 2014 620. I usually winch it the last 3-6 inches so that it's tight to the roller while still in the water. Don't even try winching it once it's out of the water.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Wallhanger

I occasionally find my boat, not a Ranger, short of the rubber stop. Good adjustment method is hard braking preferably going downhill. Keep a vertical safety strap on all the time.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarr33 View Post
Is it normal to have to winch hook under the roller?

Thank you
Yes it is absolutely normal for the hook of the winch strap to be under the roller. You do not want the hook to be trapped between the bow and the roller. The roller should be right up against the bow of your boat.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Keeper

I normally back my trailer do until the tops of my fenders are exposed I float on until I get centered on the trailer I give it a little throttle enough to walk it up a bit which still leaves me 8-10" away from the roller I then winch it the rest of the way until the bow is snug to the roller I did notice when I pulled the broken strap off the loop attach bolt has a pretty good bend in it like the strap was still tightening on the reel? but like I mentioned earlier this is the second strap in a year (the roads in the Detroit Metro area didn't help the cause) both straps failed in the same place right at the hook ring, but not affecting the safety hook connection. When I winch it to the bow that strap is tighter than a bulls butt in fly season I feel like it's going to snap every time I reel it in.

Thank you guys for your comments, and opinions, for now I'll keep Ranger in business with $20 winch straps.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you're not power loading it all the way up, because of MI law, I get that.

In that case, you need to back in further (after you hook the strap to the eye), so you can winch it up to the roller (eye under the roller...not on it, like in pic number 2) easier. It should look like pic number 3. Then, pull out slowly, so the back end centers correctly.

You're breaking your strap, because of the extreme tension when winching it, with it so far out of the water.

Too bad you can't power load in MI. That blows.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2
Old 04-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Keeper

Yeah I do my best to abide by the rules and practice good ramp etiquette wherever I launch, as much as I hate to take a bunch of time while loading especially when I'm alone i'll just have to make the time to get it on the winch with minimum pressure then back down a bit further to get to the roller. I have had two rangers in the past and never experienced this.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Slot Fish

I had the same issue on my 2015 1850 where the strap was hitting the bottom of the roller. I moved the entire winch post up on the mount which gave me some clearance and stopped the strap from rubbing the bottom of the roller.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

If the winch strap is tight in the first photo, it appears to me that the strap is contacting the underneath side of the roller. That should never happen. A taut winch line should be a straight line from the winch to bow eye, contacting nothing in between. The way I interpret that photo would indicate either the winch is mounted too high, the bow stop too low or the boat bow sits too high on the trailer.

I've used the same boat & trailer in Michigan for 25 years. Never power-loaded, never broke a winch line or strap. Something is causing his winch strap to be overloaded and I suspect faulty trailer adjustment. But, if the OP has a bunk trailer and is trying to winch the boat further onto the trailer with the rig out of the water, then, yes, it's possible to break a winch strap. You can get away with doing that on a roller trailer.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 04-23-2017 at 08:29 AM.