Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Broken Ranger Winch Strap - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe this strap would help. https://www.amazon.com/Fulton-WS20HD...vy+winch+strap

But you might start breaking other stuff if something is not aligned right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Minnow

Dark,
Same thing is happening to me. Strap was tied to the hook when I bought my 621, got a new strap from Ranger and broke it 2 weeks later. Same situation as you, on my first fishing trip out with it we didn't get it all the way up to the roller. Must have stressed the strap too much and it broke the next morning. Like you said, I'm trying not to ram it up on the bow roller, as I'm new to it and don't want to 'powerload' it really. I get to 6inches when I nail it, most of the time its more like 10 to 12 inches when I land, and I've only done it about a 2 dozen times so far. So now I'm rollin with a tied strap....guess I'll call ranger again tomorrow and see about a new one. I also have my fishing partner back the truck down while I crank it those last 10 inches. So I know I'm not wrecking the strap by doing that.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Darkstar,
Try an experiment.

With the boat in the driveway, loosen the winch strap and unhook it.

Then, pull the full length of the winch strap off of the winch. Then, when you wind the winch strap back onto your winch, have it pull from the underside of the winch rather than the top side of the winch.

By doing this, the pull point on your winch will be about 3-4 inches lower than it is currently pulling your boat.

I am not necessarily suggesting that this should be your final solution, but I would find it interesting if this would cure your problem.

From your picture 2 - it would seem that it is nearly impossible to pull your boat as far forward as necessary and have the bow hook up with the roller with the winch strap pull point in its current position.

The only thing that you will do differently, is that the winch will be turned in the opposite direction when you load your boat compared to what you are now doing.

But, if you do this with a new strap in the driveway, it will be easy to see if the pull point change helps or hurts the pulling and loading power of your winch.

If you don't like it, you can always unwind the winch and roll the strap back on the winch the way that it is doing right now.

---
If you did find that this worked better for you, you could always lower the mounting position of the winch. It appears that there may be a few holes in the winch stand that you could lower the winch.

Let us know what you find.

p.s.
If you are having issues with the winch strap breaking, install a strap like this one on your winch:

https://www.amazon.com/Fulton-WS20HD...WTXK7V4FC966AY

This strap has a 10,000 lb breaking strength compared to a much lower breaking strength for the typical boat winch strap.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Keeper

Judging by your photos the winch is mounted too high... not getting a straight pull and that's why your breaking straps. The winch has slotted holes, loosen off the bolts and lower it until it can get a straight pull not touching the roller. The bow roller is there to stop your boat from moving forward, on mine it gets close but doesn't touch when fully loaded. I do a few power steps to get the bow eye touching the roller and then tighten everything down.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbucket View Post
Judging by your photos the winch is mounted too high... not getting a straight pull and that's why your breaking straps. The winch has slotted holes, loosen off the bolts and lower it until it can get a straight pull not touching the roller. The bow roller is there to stop your boat from moving forward, on mine it gets close but doesn't touch when fully loaded. I do a few power steps to get the bow eye touching the roller and then tighten everything down.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He has a point..Your pulling the boat forward and down against the bow roller, instead of a straight pull to the bow roller.
Lowrance Elite 4 Gps/DI/Sonar
Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Slot Fish

Not to mention you likely are wearing the strap out by having it run on the bottom of the roller. When I moved the one on my 1850, I had to drill new holes to get the entire assembly high enough to get the strap clear of the roller. One drawback is moving the assembly up will let the boat go further up on the trailer giving you more tounge weight and maybe creating an issue with your transducer and bunk if they are in line with each other. Mine wasn't an issue with either of these, but I also didn't have to go as far as it looks like you will. Wrapping it the other way on the winch like REW mentioned was the first thing I tried and it helped too. In your case you might need to do both.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

REW

Then, pull the full length of the winch strap off of the winch. Then, when you wind the winch strap back onto your winch, have it pull from the underside of the winch rather than the top side of the winch.

By doing this, the pull point on your winch will be about 3-4 inches lower than it is currently pulling your boat.

Come on REW, think about this...
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Modog,
I have thought long and hard about this issue.

What is your suggestion?

--
Also, the one comment about not having the bow of the boat against the bow roller does not make sense.

Every other boat that I have ever seen in use always has the bow of the boat tight - tight - tight against the bow V block or the the bow roller.

----------

I also wonder - with the bow and winch stand design of the ranger boat and trailer - would one be better off using a pair of bow rollers with the winch strap running between the upper and lower rollers?

For example:
http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Large-Bo...FQKewAodGswHBw

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...w=1680&bih=920

===========================

It just seems very very strange that one would ever break a winch strap on a boat trailer pulling the boat onto the trailer. Under ordinary conditions, the bunks should be wet. The bunks should be well immersed in water and the boat should - for the most part float about 90% of the way to the bow stop. So, the winch should only be necessary to pull a couple of hundred lbs up the last foot or so onto the trailer.
What is in the design and pull point and pull angle of the winch, strap, bow eye and roller that is creating the issue?
Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Wallhanger

Could the winch not be centered correctly to the bow eye or trailer so that the strap is contacting the metal side of the spool?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	255097  

Last edited by Modog; 04-26-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modog View Post
REW

Come on REW, think about this...
Modog, what is there to think about?
10 years ago the winch strap on my then new Stratos was rubbing against the bow roller like the one in the OP's picture. I never had trouble with the strap breaking, but didn't think the boat was being pulled tight against the bow roller.
When I called and asked the dealer about it he told me to do exactly what REW suggested here. The boat pulled snug against the roller and has been working fine for the 10 years I've had the boat.