Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Broken Ranger Winch Strap - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Wallhanger

Yep, makes sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 06:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonbank View Post
I had the same issue on my 2015 1850 where the strap was hitting the bottom of the roller. I moved the entire winch post up on the mount which gave me some clearance and stopped the strap from rubbing the bottom of the roller.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
this is what you need to do to end your problems. the winch strap shouldn't be touching the bottom of the roller. you need to raise the winch up a few inches so the strap isn't in a bind against the roller. the strap does go below the roller but shouldn't be touching the roller when winched up.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

x10 on the comment by Last Chance.

But, if you unwrap the winch strap and wrap it back on in the opposite direction, so that the strap pulls from the bottom of the roller, rather than the top -- you will have done the equivalent of moving the winch up, without having to change the winch itself.

Basically, you are moving the winch strap down 4 inches, which is exactly equivalent to moving the entire winch up 4 inches.

Good luck

Old 05-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Minnow

Could you guys check out the album of pictures below regarding my 621's winch/winch stand? Should I attempt to move the winch mount up one hole? (the only higher hole available) Does that bend in the winch mount look horrible to anyone else? options? My new strap is on its way from Ranger.

Anyone have any pictures of the same boat/trailer to compare?

https://goo.gl/photos/MD5XrCsRbaB7s7XB6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_121717.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	512.8 KB
ID:	258642  
Old 05-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

Default Broken Ranger winch strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
this is what you need to do to end your problems. the winch strap shouldn't be touching the bottom of the roller. you need to raise the winch up a few inches so the strap isn't in a bind against the roller. the strap does go below the roller but shouldn't be touching the roller when winched up.
I have an 1850 and I think my strap does the same, which bothers me. My dealer told me to drive up over but I didnt like that idea at all. I am going out to where my boat is located Wed and will check the setup. Good suggestion for sure.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Rewind the winch strap so that the strap pulls from the bottom of the strap roll rather than the top and you will fix your problem.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadTroller View Post
Could you guys check out the album of pictures below regarding my 621's winch/winch stand? Should I attempt to move the winch mount up one hole? (the only higher hole available) Does that bend in the winch mount look horrible to anyone else? options? My new strap is on its way from Ranger.

Anyone have any pictures of the same boat/trailer to compare?

https://goo.gl/photos/MD5XrCsRbaB7s7XB6
I moved the mount on my 1850 up a hole and added a 2nd bolt on the top of the winch bracket to help prevent the bend you are seeing. This really helped straighten out the winch line and keeps it from rubbing in the bottom of the roller with a very small gap. What REW says about winding it around the other way might help too as long as it doesn't get it pulling to much down.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9b50e217bc.jpg

Old 05-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
I moved the mount on my 1850 up a hole and added a 2nd bolt on the top of the winch bracket to help prevent the bend you are seeing. This really helped straighten out the winch line and keeps it from rubbing in the bottom of the roller with a very small gap. What REW says about winding it around the other way might help too as long as it doesn't get it pulling to much down.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9b50e217bc.jpg

I like the way yours looks for sure. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Broken Ranger Winch Strap

Quote:

Can you show with a picture what you moved, can you do with boat on trailer or best to have off when doing. I like what I see, just dont understand what you did.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1850 View Post
Can you show with a picture what you moved, can you do with boat on trailer or best to have off when doing. I like what I see, just dont understand what you did.
What I moved was the entire roller/winch bracket up the square tube it is mounted on. There is a plate on it that you remove to access the nuts on the inside of it. You can see the difference in the space left on the tube above the bracket between the 2 pics. By doing this, it will take both the roller and winch cable line up to stop it from binding/rubbing on the bottom of the roller. I did it with the boat still on the trailer.