Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2017 Ice Out Reservoir Gouin - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default Finally a Clear Day

Opening day is going to be iffy???????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05_04_2017.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	256282  

Last edited by Freytown; 05-04-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Minnow

I am heading up on the 19th to Mattawa bay. Major flooding along the ottawa and lievre rivers - hundreds of homes flooded - state of emergency -etc.. hopefully they will keep the water high at Gouin.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Slot Fish

Default Update

I reached out to Air Tamarac today concerned about opening day. Here's what they said.

Quote:
No everything is good. We are already on the Gouin to open all the cabins. Still ice in some areas, but will be gone soon... Water is high but fine.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default My version, your version and the truth

Too every question there are three answer: (1!)my version (2) your version and (3) the truth.

My outfitter just messaged me : " The road are ok and the water level is low. There is some snow and the ice is not gone."

So ?????????????????????????????

I know from the pic I seen at the outfitter expanding his sea wall (my prior post) that the reservoir was down a lot and from satellite images it is still frozen. With 9 days to go the ice can be gone but the water level takes time to refill in a reservoir 60 miles wide and 40 miles high. I believe my outfitter and the images support what was said. FT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05_10_2017.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	257329  
Old 05-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Wallhanger

As for the level the person from Hydro-Quebec in charge of the dam mentionne 2 days ago that the level was at 82% full and to fill-up at the point they need to open the doors it's a question of "weeks".
The situation is follow very closely because of the flood in the south.
It's about the same thing for the Cabonga, Dozois and the other reservoirs.
Luckily they lower the level just before the winter more then they do habitually.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Slot Fish

Hey Freetown, I posted AT's message before today's satellite image was available. I looked at it this afternoon and had the same reaction - it's still frozen!! I'm going with option #3. LOL Hoping it breaks up in the next day or two.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Default 82% ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre (wallyandre) View Post
As for the level the person from Hydro-Quebec in charge of the dam mentionne 2 days ago that the level was at 82% full and to fill-up at the point they need to open the doors it's a question of "weeks". The situation is follow very closely because of the flood in the south. It's about the same thing for the Cabonga, Dozois and the other reservoirs. Luckily they lower the level just before the winter more then they do habitually.
Hi Andre, can you find out the current pool elevation?? Maximum capacity of the Gouin is at 405 meters or 1,329 feet. 82% of these levels would put the pool height at 332 meters or 1,090 feet....I find that very hard to believe. I was at the Gouin in 2003 spring and levels in late May were down 18-20 feet. That was unreal. Baies were connect by rivers it was so low.

See if you can find current pool elevation. FT
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Slot Fish

Default capacity

Freytown a huge reservoir like Gouin engolfs thousands of shallow acres -areas as it approaches full capacity. 82% sounds low this time of year but I would not presume its 82% of max height.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Minnow

Just signed up today,been reading threads for a while.my son and I are hitting gouin for the 1st time this yr. for the opener with AT.staying in cabins 15,16.Gonna fish walleye,but also gonna target old esox.i want a 40"+ gator for the picture book!keep the updates on ice out,lake level coming fellas!this site is a great wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all the info u veterans post on all subjects
Old 05-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Keeper

First of all 405m is the measurement from sea level...not the depth of the Gouin. The reservoir is only about 60m deep max.

Secondly the capacity would only be directly proportional to the depth if the shores were all perfectly vertical with a flat bottom