Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you guys have a spare prop for your boat that you bring to Canada? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Wallhanger

Wedge,
Buy one and rest easy. But........it won't do you any good to have one if you don't pack the tools to put it on.

Spare prop nut?........check. Spare prop nut pin?......check. Spare shear pin?......check.
All VERY hard to find if they get dropped in the drink!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

My spare prop is on the Yamaha 8 hp, so far, so good. The best insurance when on unfamiliar water is to always check the map and GPS chart before starting the motor. Every time.

Bill
Old 05-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Keeper

Default Yes

Yes, Always have one with me. Never had to use it. I would much rather spend the money on something I never use, than have to spend one rainy cool night out on a dark lake.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Slot Fish

100% absolutely, yes. We sometimes go out 20+ miles on Lac Seul, so I look at it as a necessity. In fact, I've always been a little antsy even with that. What if I have mechanical motor issues or what if I take out the whole lower unit? I finally put that to rest this off-season & bought a boat with a 9.9 kicker...
Old 05-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Minnow

Spare prop for main and kicker, plus extra nuts, washers, cotter keys, spark plugs and the necessary wrenches. Also, a crescent wrench , vice grip pliers and an adjustable pliers.
Also carry extra fuel filters. They have little value on the shelf at home. Other than the props, everything fits in a water-tight box.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindzier View Post
100% absolutely, yes. We sometimes go out 20+ miles on Lac Seul, so I look at it as a necessity. In fact, I've always been a little antsy even with that. What if I have mechanical motor issues or what if I take out the whole lower unit? I finally put that to rest this off-season & bought a boat with a 9.9 kicker...
I agree with the 9.9 kicker. Main reason I added one. But 20+ miles out at 6miles/hr. makes for a long trip back to camp.It does get you to a sheltered area to make repairs,if repairs are possible, though.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Keeper

Thanks for all the input guys. I do have a 9.9 kicker on the boat too.

It sounds like I should follow thru with what I was thinking, just buy an aluminum backup with hardware and be done with it. I dont feel like I need one for the kicker and the trolling motor. If the trolling motor prop goes, I can use the kicker, if the kicker goes, use the trolling motor. It wont be as good as using them both together, but I can get by.

I already keep a pretty extensive tool kit in the boat.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Keeper

The one year I didn't bring one, I was at a boat in lodge about 15 miles from where I parked my vehicle..sure enough knocked a blade off and folded one over about a mile from the lodge.. luckily it only took 2 days too get a prop delivered to the lodge... you don't want too know the cost.... and of course,, I did it mid day on the best fishing day I've ever had on that lake.

My suggestion if you have a stainless on your boat.. buy an aluminum spare and put that one for your trip, and keep the stainless as your spare..
Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

I even threw a spare trolling motor in last year. Didn't want anything to spoil the trip. Thankfully I didn't need it. Everything went smooth.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Slot Fish

Always carry a spare prop. Much like my golf game where I seem to find the woods often, when fishing, rocks seem to jump out in front of me.