Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you guys have a spare prop for your boat that you bring to Canada? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Wallhanger

I bought a spare aluminum prop that had been refurbished. A lot less costly investment for a backup prop. Never had to use it, but everything was in the boat in case I made a critical navigational error.

Now I just ruin props and transducers on camp boats

PjShorthorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Slot Fish

I have first hand experience on this issue. Do you want to keep fishing or take a long drive to get a prop? I've had to drive to Sioux Lookout a number of times to get a new prop. And the expense of it all.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Minnow

I always take one and have had to use. It is a small investment that if you need it you will be very happy to have it. If you don't use it you always have it for the next trip.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Slot Fish

After bending two blades on a log I had a 7 mile idle back to the resort and spent the rest of the day running around looking for a prop. I ended up buying a prop that fit but was the wrong pitch as that was all I could find. I take 2 extra props now!!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Minnow

Also, I would get an aluminum prop. Stainless steel props on Lac Seul are probably a bit of a liability. I want my prop to break before my lower unit internals blowup. I only use aluminum props up there.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Wallhanger

One in the boat, another in the car back at the boat launch.

Never had to use either, yet....but the first time I went to Canada, the guys in cabin just downhill from us broke one blade off a prop on Monday, bend all three blades on another prop on Wednesday and wrecked a lower unit on Friday.

It made an impression on me...
Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
One in the boat, another in the car back at the boat launch.

Never had to use either, yet....but the first time I went to Canada, the guys in cabin just downhill from us broke one blade off a prop on Monday, bend all three blades on another prop on Wednesday and wrecked a lower unit on Friday.

It made an impression on me...
Yea, the impression was "PAY ATTENTION!"

You guys convinced me. I ended up calling my dealer and he has a used prop he is just going to give me. Pitch probably wont be perfect, but it will be good enough in an emergency.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
I bought a spare aluminum prop that had been refurbished. A lot less costly investment for a backup prop. Never had to use it, but everything was in the boat in case I made a critical navigational error.

PjShorthorn
Same here, I know Gord has boats on Clearwater for his guests but I stay at Birch Dale.
I've taken my boat down there once and bent the chit out of the prop and cracked the cavition plate from a beaver log that got wedged in between plate/prop !

Now when I go down there we rent a camp boat and last yr. before heading down there we got a boat that already had some prop damage but had all 3 blades,we came back and had 1 folded over and missing about half of the other 2 but we made it down there in about 20 mins.and got our limit of Lakers !
Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Reading this made me laugh thinking about my BIL who doesn't bring a spare. He starts out on his Canadian trip with a new 14"+ prop and a week later I swear it's only about 9 inches in dia. I have one with me no matter where I go. Haven't used one in over 40 years, but I have it....just in case.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post

PjShorthorn
Bet Gord likes that, eh?