Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slow Death rigging and tips?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Keeper

Default Slow Death rigging and tips??

I have been trying to research the hows and whats of the Slow Death method. What I'm looking to do is get a basic setup of hooks, spinners, beads, etc to get started using the Slow Death technique. I have #2 Cabela's ball bearing swivels and 15lb fluorocarbon for leaders. I bought a few Mack's smile blade slow death pre-rigs from Cabela's, but for the life of me I can't find bare slow death hooks here in Oklahoma. I like the idea of the Matzuo Rip N Roll hooks with the built in swivel, but would like the opinions of the experts.

So, my questions are:
1. What hook do you prefer and why?
2. Where do you buy these hooks if you shop online?
3. Do you use different gauge hooks for different methods (i.e. artificial vs. live bait)? 4. Do you tie a treble in front of the slow death hook?
5. What blades and beads, if any, do you use?
6. Any tips on rigging the crawlers?
7. What artificial baits do you use with this method?

Last but not least, please post some photos of your Slow Death rigs. Some detail about the rig would be helpful as well if it isn't already apparent by answering some of the questions.

I appreciate any possible guidance you folks can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Keeper

Default Slow death hooks

1. Cabela's sells them Mustad brand check their site.
2. Youtube - fishing slow death hooks

bestfishes - jim
Old 05-12-2017, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

You can buy the slow death hooks online from Bass Pro Shop. They don't carry them on the shelf in the store by where I live north of Atlanta.

They are made by Mustad and I bought a #1 size. in red ( they may only come as a red hook). The part number on the package is 333862NP-RB and come 25 to a package for about $10....don't remember the exact price though.

There are two suggested ways to use them on the Mustad packaging. One is to attach the rig to a bottom bouncer of an appropriate weight; with the rig composed strictly of a barrel swivel and the hook. The other is to tie the rig directly to the main line via a barrel swivel with a weight above the swivel.

The crawler is threaded onto the hook up to the eye and then allow 1/4 -1/2" of crawler to dangle off the end of the hook.

Mustad recommends that the rig be trolled or drifted at 1 mph or less so that the rig spins properly as designed.

I will be trying these this years or the first time as well so I'm going to start out trying them as recommended by Mustad. Not that I'm a huge believer in hook colors making a difference, I did bend some out of Aberdeen hooks I had lying around just for grins to see if gold works too.

Good luck with your project

PjShorthorn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	257521  

Old 05-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertank View Post
1. Cabela's sells them Mustad brand check their site.
2. Youtube - fishing slow death hooks

bestfishes - jim

Is the Mustad brand what you use, or did you mean the Matzuo from my original question? Thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 AM
Keeper

As noted previously, Cabela's has them in red, gold, and bronze in sizes 1, 2, and 4 for $5 per 25-pack. I have them in my arsenal but have not had any more success using them than with anything else. I rig them like the typical Carolina-rig using a bullet weight, bead, barrel swivel and a fluorocarbon leader and slow death hook. I'm interested in hearing about how others who have had good success rig them as well, and when they choose to use them over other tried and true methods.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Musta...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Wallhanger

So I am a huge slow death guy. It is my preferred way of fishing.

1. What hook do you prefer and why? I have tried EVERY brand of slow death hook made. Quite honestly they all work well. Eagle Claw Trokar is the strongest and sharpest out of the box. Very well made hooks. But any of them will work. I haven't tried the new Berkley Fusion hooks yet though.
2. Where do you buy these hooks if you shop online? I just buy from Cabelas or Bass Pro or whoever has them. I have so many, that I haven't bought any for a year or so now.
3. Do you use different gauge hooks for different methods (i.e. artificial vs. live bait)?I do like the Trokars because they seem more stought
4. Do you tie a treble in front of the slow death hook?No, don't do this... I always like to put a green bead or some sort of color bead on my slow death rigs. Also Macks Smiley blade right ahead of the bead works well to.
5. What blades and beads, if any, do you use? Macks smiley blades sometimes.
6. Any tips on rigging the crawlers? Head of the crawler and work it up the hook just past the collar of the crawler, then pinch off. Then put it in the water and see if it spins properly. If it doesn't spin right adjust the length of the tail. I go for roughly a 1/4 to 1/2' tail. Also make sure you push the crawler head up over the eye of the hook. It helps hold the crawler better.
7. What artificial baits do you use with this method? Berkley Gulp crawlers work well, but I usually just go live.

One other tip I have is use a heavier line for your lead. If you go to light I have noticed line twist. 10 or 12 lb Flouro has been working for me. 18-24 inches usually.
NPAA #803

Last edited by MACH; 05-12-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
You can buy the slow death hooks online from Bass Pro Shop. They don't carry them on the shelf in the store by where I live north of Atlanta.

They are made by Mustad and I bought a #1 size. in red ( they may only come as a red hook). The part number on the package is 333862NP-RB and come 25 to a package for about $10....don't remember the exact price though.

There are two suggested ways to use them on the Mustad packaging. One is to attach the rig to a bottom bouncer of an appropriate weight; with the rig composed strictly of a barrel swivel and the hook. The other is to tie the rig directly to the main line via a barrel swivel with a weight above the swivel.

The crawler is threaded onto the hook up to the eye and then allow 1/4 -1/2" of crawler to dangle off the end of the hook.

Mustad recommends that the rig be trolled or drifted at 1 mph or less so that the rig spins properly as designed.

I will be trying these this years or the first time as well so I'm going to start out trying them as recommended by Mustad. Not that I'm a huge believer in hook colors making a difference, I did bend some out of Aberdeen hooks I had lying around just for grins to see if gold works too.

Good luck with your project

PjShorthorn

Excellent information. Have you put the homemade hooks in the water to see how the spin compares?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH View Post
So I am a huge slow death guy. It is my preferred way of fishing.

1. What hook do you prefer and why? I have tried EVERY brand of slow death hook made. Quite honestly they all work well. Eagle Claw Trokar is the strongest and sharpest out of the box. Very well made hooks. But any of them will work. I haven't tried the new Berkley Fusion hooks yet though.
2. Where do you buy these hooks if you shop online? I just buy from Cabelas or Bass Pro or whoever has them. I have so many, that I haven't bought any for a year or so now.
3. Do you use different gauge hooks for different methods (i.e. artificial vs. live bait)?I do like the Trokars because they seem more stought
4. Do you tie a treble in front of the slow death hook?No, don't do this... I always like to put a green bead or some sort of color bead on my slow death rigs. Also Macks Smiley blade right ahead of the bead works well to.
5. What blades and beads, if any, do you use? Macks smiley blades sometimes.
6. Any tips on rigging the crawlers? Head of the crawler and work it up the hook just past the collar of the crawler, then pinch off. Then put it in the water and see if it spins properly. If it doesn't spin right adjust the length of the tail. I go for roughly a 1/4 to 1/2' tail. Also make sure you push the crawler head up over the eye of the hook. It helps hold the crawler better.
7. What artificial baits do you use with this method? Berkley Gulp crawlers work well, but I usually just go live.

One other tip I have is use a heavier line for your lead. If you go to light I have noticed line twist. 10 or 12 lb Flouro has been working for me. 18-24 inches usually.
Chris - seems like you have this down. I would like to add this method to my arsenal this year. Few more questions.

1. Do you run a bottom bouncer? I know my areas I would like to try this will vary from 4-20 FOW.
2. I am assuming you fish one rod at a time, with rod in hand, rather than using boards or multiple rod set up?
3. How much line do you let out? Is there a certain angle?
4. I have seen some spoons with slow death rigs on them. The spoon colors I know work. Is this a good method of slow death as well?
5. When you get a hit, do you drop the line back a bit to let the fish "take it in" a bit? Or set the hook right away?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/mus...0death%20hooks
Old 05-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
Excellent information. Have you put the homemade hooks in the water to see how the spin compares?

I haven't yet, but I'll report back on how it works ,if at all. I was just goofing around while passing time. It took a little practice to figure it out and the old arthritis didn't help either. At the price point Mojo mentioned in his post, it isn't really worth trying to bend them yourself unless you are a twisted individual like me

PjShorthorn