Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slow Death rigging and tips?? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 07:59 AM
Keeper

Default Slow Death rigging and tips??

Thanks for all of the information thus far everyone. I am going to check out the Berkeley Fusion hooks that MACH talked about. Looks like a nice bait keeper is built in. This seems to be a common complaint about SD hooks, however previous posts have stated running the worm over the eye/knot will assist in holding the bait.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkl...fusion&start=9 for anyone wondering.

I want to get a few of the Gulp crawlers to try with the SD rigs as well. I see they have um-teen different models. I was going to start with natural colors, but does anyone have a recommendation on the model of crawler they use? Some are 4" and if you pinch off the tail is there enough crawler to use on a second rig, or do you need more than 2" per rig?

Last edited by mikear; 05-12-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
Thanks for all of the information thus far everyone. I am going to check out the Berkeley Fusion hooks that MACH talked about. Looks like a nice bait keeper is built in. This seems to be a common complaint about SD hooks, however previous posts have stated running the worm over the eye/knot will assist in holding the bait.

I want to get a few of the Gulp crawlers to try with the SD rigs as well. I see they have um-teen different models. I was going to start with natural colors, but does anyone have a recommendation on the model of crawler they use? Some are 4" and if you pinch off the tail is there enough crawler to use on a second rig, or do you need more than 2" per rig?
Thanks for the info.

Let us know how they work for you.

PjShorthorn
Old 05-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Keeper

I agree with what MACH says abut the Trokar Re-Volve hooks. They are the sharpest and stiffest spinning hook that I've tried. The Mustads are significantly thinner and more flexible so they're easier to bend ut of a snag but that's the only advantage I've found except that they're cheaper.

Where I bought them won't help you as I'm in Canada...

Bottom Bouncer fishing

Bottom bouncing is probably the best way to keep your rig near the bottom where it needs to be especially if the depth is changing while you are fishing. Easy to ift over a hump to avoid a snag and then right back down when the water get deeper.

The general guideline is that your line should hit the water as close to 45 degrees as you can. Generally speaking....at slow death speeds 0.8-1.1 mph or so you'll find that 1oz for every 10 FOW will get you close enough. I carry 1,1.5, and 2 oz bouncers and that covers all depths I'll fish in the spring. Later in the summer I bring 3 oz bouncers with me.

I've always had good success using the slow death just hook, line and worm...no beads no blades no problems. This year I tied up a couple to try with colorado blades and beads and floats the same way I tie my harnesses, and I've tried copying the Northland 'Speed-spinner' which is a Northland crawler hauler hook (they're version) on a length of wire with swivel and blade/beads. Mine has a BB swivel though as I'm convinced that they spi better with those.

I use the slow death less than I used to simply because properly threading a lively worm on the hook is much more challenging and time consuming than just sticking it on a regular octopus hook harness. Also, the worms tend not to stay put too well so worm changes are more frequent.

For artificials I like Gulp alive spinner crawlers. I cut them up and can get three uses per worm usually. Much more economical than the killer crawlers Berkley made for the purpose. Also those hollow killer crawlers are very fragile and don't last as long.

The photo on the right is the speed spinner copy. I used a piece of Bottom bouncer wire for the shaft. On the left is a regular fluoro set-up with beads and floats. No idea if they'll do better than without yet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_095431_006[1].jpg
Views:	264
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	257545  

Last edited by Kartman35; 05-12-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman35 View Post
I agree with what MACH says abut the Trokar Re-Volve hooks. They are the sharpest and stiffest spinning hook that I've tried. The Mustads are significantly thinner and more flexible so they're easier to bend ut of a snag but that's the only advantage I've found except that they're cheaper.

Where I bought them won't help you as I'm in Canada...

Bottom Bouncer fishing

Bottom bouncing is probably the best way to keep your rig near the bottom where it needs to be especially if the depth is changing while you are fishing. Easy to ift over a hump to avoid a snag and then right back down when the water get deeper.

The general guideline is that your line should hit the water as close to 45 degrees as you can. Generally speaking....at slow death speeds 0.8-1.1 mph or so you'll find that 1oz for every 10 FOW will get you close enough. I carry 1,1.5, and 2 oz bouncers and that covers all depths I'll fish in the spring. Later in the summer I bring 3 oz bouncers with me.

I've always had good success using the slow death just hook, line and worm...no beads no blades no problems. This year I tied up a couple to try with colorado blades and beads and floats the same way I tie my harnesses, and I've tried copying the Northland 'Speed-spinner' which is a Northland crawler hauler hook (they're version) on a length of wire with swivel and blade/beads. Mine has a BB swivel though as I'm convinced that they spi better with those.

I use the slow death less than I used to simply because properly threading a lively worm on the hook is much more challenging and time consuming than just sticking it on a regular octopus hook harness. Also, the worms tend not to stay put too well so worm changes are more frequent.

For artificials I like Gulp alive spinner crawlers. I cut them up and can get three uses per worm usually. Much more economical than the killer crawlers Berkley made for the purpose. Also those hollow killer crawlers are very fragile and don't last as long.

The photo on the right is the speed spinner copy. I used a piece of Bottom bouncer wire for the shaft. On the left is a regular fluoro set-up with beads and floats. No idea if they'll do better than without yet...

Kartman, that's great info! Used a lot of your tips today with good success.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Keeper

First day using slow death. Pulled them all day long using the Mack's smile blade pre-rigs from Cabela's. Still waiting on my hooks to build more.

1oz bottom bouncers, 6-14 FOW, 0.9 MPH worked so I stuck with it when the wind allowed. Started with crawlers and caught 5 saugeye. Switched to Gulp minnows later in the day and caught 11 more. 4 keepers all told. Good first day with slow death rigs!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

Guys that say don't put a hook in front have never tried it guaranteed. If you have, you wouldn't do it any other way.
Cabelas also carries them..they are new.
I tend to run my baits .8 up to 1.4 with the speed I seem to use most being 1.2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170313_144841_1494731476064.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	257905  
Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye.bill View Post
Guys that say don't put a hook in front have never tried it guaranteed. If you have, you wouldn't do it any other way.
Cabelas also carries them..they are new.
I tend to run my baits .8 up to 1.4 with the speed I seem to use most being 1.2.

I saw the new Cabela's "Summer" magazine with your rigs. I'll have to pick some up and give them a shot. They look great!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
First day using slow death. Pulled them all day long using the Mack's smile blade pre-rigs from Cabela's. Still waiting on my hooks to build more.

1oz bottom bouncers, 6-14 FOW, 0.9 MPH worked so I stuck with it when the wind allowed. Started with crawlers and caught 5 saugeye. Switched to Gulp minnows later in the day and caught 11 more. 4 keepers all told. Good first day with slow death rigs!
Thanks for the update. That is a pretty good start. Hopefully I have some luck with them in Canada next month.

PjShorthorn
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM
cutting edge

Check out the VMC spindrift, works great also.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Start with the natural colored Gulp Killer Crawlers. No need to pinch them off and they'll catch a lot of fish for you. If I remember correctly, they're 3 inches long. After you rig them, hold them by the side of the boat and make sure they spin well at about 0.8 mph. If not, rig them with more bend in the crawler and sometimes even putting more bend in the hook is needed. Whatever you have to do, make sure your rig spins well beside the boat before you send it to the bottom. If your rig isn't spinning correctly, it won't catch fish to its full potential.

They work!