Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slow Death rigging and tips?? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
Start with the natural colored Gulp Killer Crawlers. No need to pinch them off and they'll catch a lot of fish for you. If I remember correctly, they're 3 inches long. After you rig them, hold them by the side of the boat and make sure they spin well at about 0.8 mph. If not, rig them with more bend in the crawler and sometimes even putting more bend in the hook is needed. Whatever you have to do, make sure your rig spins well beside the boat before you send it to the bottom. If your rig isn't spinning correctly, it won't catch fish to its full potential.

They work!

I'll try those tips. Berkley had some on sale and I ordered a bucket of the Killer Crawlers. Also got some natural Gulp crawlers.

I appreciate the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Keeper

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ff2bf77fd0.jpg

I added a swivel between the hook and beads on the Smile Blade pre-rigs. I noticed the blade was spinning the beads which were touching the crawler that was threaded over the knot and it would cause the crawler to spin at the same rate as the blade (too fast?). The swivel prevented that. It was not necessary with the Gulp minnows but also didn't affect the action either way. I also had a ball bearing swivel attached to the factory BB swivel at the other end of the leader.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Wallhanger

video we put together awhile back..even with out our hook this is how we rig a crawler. Just ignore the treble hook etc for normal hooks.
https://youtu.be/kYfUU2GyFQw

Old 05-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Ran slow death last night for the 1st time. Within 10 minutes landed a walleye and thought wow, this is going to be great. Next two hours, only sheephead.

I noticed it didn't take much for the rig not to spin properly. I am thinking it is because I was not running enough crawler on the curved part of the shank. Does that sound right?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

It's possible. Many people don't realize you need to be moving at a decent clip to get the action it's meant for. It is not really meant for lindy rig speeds although some use it that way with success. The saying goes, if it ain't spinnin, you ain't winnin!
At slow speeds it's just a crawler in my opinion, but start moving and it becomes a whole nother ball game.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye.bill View Post
It's possible. Many people don't realize you need to be moving at a decent clip to get the action it's meant for. It is not really meant for lindy rig speeds although some use it that way with success. The saying goes, if it ain't spinnin, you ain't winnin!
At slow speeds it's just a crawler in my opinion, but start moving and it becomes a whole nother ball game.
How fast? In a non-current area I was going 0.8 mph or so. Going upriver in a decent current, about 0.4 Too slow? What angle with the bottom bouncer? Other type of rigs with a bb, I have usually used the 45 deg and 1 oz per every 10 feet as a general rule.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Wisconsin View Post
How fast? In a non-current area I was going 0.8 mph or so. Going upriver in a decent current, about 0.4 Too slow? What angle with the bottom bouncer? Other type of rigs with a bb, I have usually used the 45 deg and 1 oz per every 10 feet as a general rule.

I was able to keep my crawlers and Gulp minnows spinning down to 0.7mph, no current. I moved the bait down the hook as needed to get an adequate spin. I'm sure it depends on the brand of hook you use as well. I've read that some guys are bending their hooks a bit more to get the roll to their liking.

I was using the 45 method as well. I'm no pro by any means but it worked for me.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye.bill View Post
video we put together awhile back..even with out our hook this is how we rig a crawler. Just ignore the treble hook etc for normal hooks.
https://youtu.be/kYfUU2GyFQw

Thanks for the video. Very informative.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Keeper

Length of crawler makes a difference in the rotation. If you put a big juicy Crawler on and leave a fair amount of the tail on to give a bigger appearance, it will spin slower. Nip the crawler off with about a 1/2 inch left beyond the hook and it will spin like a top.
Do not over look good swivels in your setup. I am a Spro swivel fan and they are reliable. I use #8's. Also as someone else said, a swivel just ahead of the hook helps significantly.

Everyone is a little different when they run their rig setups. Some suggestions .......... bend the bottom bouncer arm upwards to get you a couple of extra inches off the bottom. I use about a 24 inch leader on the slow death rig. My line is 20 pound Floro. I play in a lot of lakes with zebra muscles and I catch a lot of fish with that short of a leader.

If the water is still pretty cold, thin almost crappie type minnows spin real well. Run rods with minnows and worms and let them tell you which one they like.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus Dog View Post
Length of crawler makes a difference in the rotation. If you put a big juicy Crawler on and leave a fair amount of the tail on to give a bigger appearance, it will spin slower. Nip the crawler off with about a 1/2 inch left beyond the hook and it will spin like a top.
Do not over look good swivels in your setup. I am a Spro swivel fan and they are reliable. I use #8's. Also as someone else said, a swivel just ahead of the hook helps significantly.

Everyone is a little different when they run their rig setups. Some suggestions .......... bend the bottom bouncer arm upwards to get you a couple of extra inches off the bottom. I use about a 24 inch leader on the slow death rig. My line is 20 pound Floro. I play in a lot of lakes with zebra muscles and I catch a lot of fish with that short of a leader.

If the water is still pretty cold, thin almost crappie type minnows spin real well. Run rods with minnows and worms and let them tell you which one they like.

Is it a Spro ball bearing swivel or traditional? Got a link? I am running a ball bearing swivel on my leader where it attaches to the bottom bouncers but would like some decent inexpensive swivels for in front of the hook. Not the end of the world if one locks up back there.