Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slow Death rigging and tips?? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

Crane swivels are terrible, ball bearing swivels are excellent but very expensive. Look for roller swivels, relatively inexpensive yet will do the job we'll. What I have always used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

Roller swivel example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zo-on-Z2001-200pcs-lot-font-b-Barrel-b-font-font-b-Swivel-b-font-Rolling_1494967956503.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	258666  
Old 05-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Wisconsin View Post
How fast? In a non-current area I was going 0.8 mph or so. Going upriver in a decent current, about 0.4 Too slow? What angle with the bottom bouncer? Other type of rigs with a bb, I have usually used the 45 deg and 1 oz per every 10 feet as a general rule.
I just got back from ND and we pulled a ton of slow death (1st time for me). We used 1-2oz weights for water 3-10ft. You can use heavier weights in shallows to keep bottom contact easier. You just dont want a wieght that wants to stick in the bottom. Which can happen with larger bouncers.... we fished .4-1mph. The key with slow death is making sure your crawler is spinning. If its spinning thats what you want. In current you can pull .4 if its spinning your just not covering much water (1/2 the water you would at .8). If the fish are spread out i would speed up so you can get you bait infront of as many fish as possible. Obviously if you find a small area they are really stacked up moving slower can work.
Hds 8&5
Terrova 80 ipilot

NPAA #409

Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

Just my answers from the quote.

1. Do you run a bottom bouncer? I know my areas I would like to try this will vary from 4-20 FOW. Depends.... I would say most of the time yes I run a bottom bouncer. Like i have read what a few others have posted in this thread, keep enough weight so that your line is at a 45 degree angle from the rod tip to the water. This is key! So depending on depth you may be going up as far as 3oz..
2. I am assuming you fish one rod at a time, with rod in hand, rather than using boards or multiple rod set up? I alway run with the rod in my hand (haha). The reason for this is I want a good hook set. Usually walleye will smack it pretty good and you will know. Not to many short bites. Never run boards. Reason being as we're not usually going fast enough for them.
3. How much line do you let out? Is there a certain angle?See your question #1. 45 Degree line angle from the tip of the rod to the line entering the water. I always like to feel that bouncer tick bottom. If you let to much out the bouncer can lay down and drag instead of be upright.
4. I have seen some spoons with slow death rigs on them. The spoon colors I know work. Is this a good method of slow death as well? This is something that you can try. I often just use a plain hook with a bead. But like I mentioned before. Don't be afraid to try a smiley blade or other blades.
5. When you get a hit, do you drop the line back a bit to let the fish "take it in" a bit? Or set the hook right away? Snags are VERY rare if your using the proper weight bottom bouncer. To be honest, I don't think I have ever had a snag pulling Slow Death. So when you feel a hit or sometimes they will grab it and swim with the boat, you will feel the pressure or extra weight. SET THAT HOOK! I never let the line drop back.

One other thing to I saw someone else mention is speed. Right around .5 to 1.0 is usually the speed I am going. Sometimes go faster but if you do, always drag the worm through the water beside the boat to make sure it spins properly at that speed. If it doesn't spin its a no go and adjust speed or adjust the worm on the hook. Also really try to air that night crawler up towards the front. that helps a lot as well.
NPAA #803