Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bunk or Roller - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Minnow

Default Bunk or Roller

Hey all, I am looking at a new boat next year Alumacraft Voyageur 175 or Competitor 175 Tillers. Anyway I've always had roller trailers on anything bigger than a 14' Jon boat. My new boat will be a 20 year boat. I am trying to decide which style to go with Bunk or Roller. Any help would be appreciated. Why do you like yours, advantages, disadvantages, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

In my case, I choose a roller since one of the resort ramps I use is so shallow, I could have the trailer and tow vehicle in the water, and the bunks would still be dry.

HRG
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Keeper

If you are going alumacraft, get their eagle custom trailer. It sells for less and is better than the shorleander. Fits so well and easy to get straight. Very well built! I'm a never shorelander guy after the last one. Just not solid trailers in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Both roller and bunk trailers have their place....I have had both, and prefer a quality bunk trailer.

The vast majority of ramps I use are decent, so am not launching on secondary type ramps on
rivers or smaller lakes - if I was I would have a roller trailer under my Lund Pro-V 1900.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Brown,
May I ask as to the nature of the issues that you are having with your bunk trailer?

Most folks who have well set up bunk trailers would never go to a roller trailer.

Good luck
Old 05-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Brown,
May I ask as to the nature of the issues that you are having with your bunk trailer?

Most folks who have well set up bunk trailers would never go to a roller trailer.

Good luck
REW,

I haven't had any issues in the past with either style trailer. I currently have a Shoreland'r under my Lund Rebel. The only bunk trailers I have experience with is smaller "uni-fit" ones for my, <14', small water boats. The bunk I would be looking at would be an Eagle.

Like Rich B stated 95% of the launches I will be using will be improved and deep. If I do fish smaller lakes and river I will be in one of the Jon's.

The basis of my question was boat ride, unloading/loading ease, and boat longevity.

Thank you
Old 05-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpe1027 View Post
REW,

I haven't had any issues in the past with either style trailer. I currently have a Shoreland'r under my Lund Rebel. The only bunk trailers I have experience with is smaller "uni-fit" ones for my, <14', small water boats. The bunk I would be looking at would be an Eagle.

Like Rich B stated 95% of the launches I will be using will be improved and deep. If I do fish smaller lakes and river I will be in one of the Jon's.

The basis of my question was boat ride, unloading/loading ease, and boat longevity.

Thank you
Consider the longevity of the trailer as well and the benefits of galvanized.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Consider the longevity of the trailer as well and the benefits of galvanized.
Thanks 3M TA3, yes galvanized is on my Radar!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

I've had mostly bunk trailers and I much prefer them for ease of loading and better support of the boat.
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

I don't think I will ever own a roller trailer again. I am 99% sure I will never own a Shorelander trailer again. More than likely the next trailer will be galvanized.

Bunk trailers give better support and are easier loading where I fish.