Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking for advice on fishing Lake Sharpe - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Wallhanger

Default Looking for advice on fishing Lake Sharpe

Planning a trip to Pierre to fish Lake Sharpe for walleye in one week. Where should I launch and fish for the end of May? And if I wanted to fish smallmouth also, where do I go and what do I look for? Thanks for any advise you may have for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

You could probably launch right in Pierre and run down stream. I am sure the bait shops should be able to help you. Small mouths shouldn't be a problem. West Bend is popular and has a ramp. I haven't fished Sharp in over 10 years and when I did I put in at Ft. Thompson. Where are you staying?
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Wallhanger

We're staying either at Farm Island or in Pierre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentfrank View Post
You could probably launch right in Pierre and run down stream. I am sure the bait shops should be able to help you. Small mouths shouldn't be a problem. West Bend is popular and has a ramp. I haven't fished Sharp in over 10 years and when I did I put in at Ft. Thompson. Where are you staying?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 AM
SD Guest

Last week the bite was pretty good along the bluffs and I just heard that West Bend was good as well.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Minnow

Just drive to west Bend and you'll hammer them. Walleyes and smallies. There will also be a bite around the Pierre area (bluffs, bridges, stilling basin). The whole river holds fish on the channel edges but west bend will be hot here pretty quickly.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:48 AM
Minnow

How was West Bend over the weekend? Thx
Old 05-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Keeper

Read Hutch's posts. He posts honest info every couple days. And he is generally so booked that he isn't just trolling for business. He and Karl (RIP) were the best at providing guys on this board good straightforward info on Sharp and Oahe.

That said, $500 bucks for a day on the water with Hutch would be money well spent. I don't know the guy, have never met him, and don't represent him in any way. But when you are fishing new water you can learn more in one day with a guide than you will in 10 days on the water by yourself. These guys are on the water every day.

Just my $.02
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Minnow

If you have any general knowledge of walleye fishing you will do fine anywhere from Pierre to beyond west bend this time of year. Humps and edges will produce. Bouncer, minnow and plain hook maybe add bead if you're bored. Long line flicker shads on the flats if that's your thing. I usually agree with "get a guide on a new body of water" idea, but this time of year I would save your money. Hungry fish up and down the system, just keep moving till ya find them. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Keeper

Pretty much what other guys have said. We were just there this past weekend. I like pulling cranks so that's what we did. Flicker shads in 5-15 ft of water depending on time of day. Other guys I talked to did just as good using live bait. If u aren't catching fish move until you find them.

2002 Warrior 1898
200 Yamaha HPDI
T8 Yamaha Kicker
'Bird 1199
'Bird 998
Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Wallhanger

Default Sharpe

If all else fails look for the floatilla and get amongst them, as my friend would say the Japanese Navy.