Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Nanofil users - line strength reduction - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Nanofil users - line strength reduction

Love it for casting. Aware of the knot and abrasion issues.
What I did not know was that line that has been in use weakens in time. I stripped off a few yards to line that was definetly not nicked - 10 lb broke at about 5 lb repeatedly. Tried new line that filled the same spools a couple of seasons ago and it broke right at the 10 lb. Breaks were not at knot for both conditions.

The line in use didn't look bad....

Though I never tested my Power Pro I thought that was almost not affected by age - to a point of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Wallhanger

Many spectra braids seem to last forever but all will weaken with time. I think because of the number of fibers in braids. But a single thread(mono or any other single thread can get a single knick and break easily. The reels I do most of my fishing get changed at least yearly. I keep thinking about the big ones that get away. Bob
Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I found a review at Cabelas that paralleled my thoughts. It's like it gets brittle regardless of any sign of fraying or nicking.

After more strength testing even the unspooled line had some degree of variation when breaking. It has been stored out of the heat and light. 1/3 of the tests broke at 80% of the rating.

I need a new line spool to test.

Never broke at the double palomar. Even the unspooled line when it held its line rating.

If it didn't cast so well I'd move back to pp or 832.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

There is a newish one by suffix called fusion I think. It's called fuse

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 05-14-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:16 PM
Minnow

I had a problem with the nanofil breaking. I was using 10lbs. Now I use the 17lbs test and haven't had a break off yet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Bob, nanobraid and performance braid. I think the nanobraid is supposed to be like nanofil. Not sure what the performance features are.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if the newer braid lines are more susceptible to aging, haven't noticed it much with older braids. If you think about it, and this has sort of been discussed here before, mono was a better product for manufacturers, as it has a tendency to lose its strength after exposure to sun, heat, etc. Return business is a good thing. The braids coming after seemed to exhibit extreme longevity.

This was a great feature for users, but lousy for those in the business of selling line. Is it possible that manufacturers are now building in guaranteed aging into their braids? What would you do if you were in the line business? Just something to think about, on a Monday morning.

Bill
Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

doesn't 8 lb mono cast very well for you?
Old 05-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Not as good as 10lb nano. Not even close.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Love it for casting. Aware of the knot and abrasion issues.
What I did not know was that line that has been in use weakens in time. I stripped off a few yards to line that was definetly not nicked - 10 lb broke at about 5 lb repeatedly. Tried new line that filled the same spools a couple of seasons ago and it broke right at the 10 lb. Breaks were not at knot for both conditions.

The line in use didn't look bad....

Though I never tested my Power Pro I thought that was almost not affected by age - to a point of course.
I had the same issues, and even though I did like the way it casted, it was more than enough to make me swear off of Nanofil for good. I won't use it again.

After trying pretty much all of the superlines out there, I've settled on the Power Pro Super Slick. I've got a several reels spooled with the 8lb going into their third season and no sign of slowing down or getting weak. I'll probably go front to back on a couple reels that get a lot of use just to be safe though.

Waxy