Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Age of tires and blowout - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Age of tires and blowout

I had a note to replace all tires at the end of this fishing season. On my way hope from a trip down south, blowout happen. No one was hurt and all ended up fine. The tires looked brand new, two on trailer and the spare. Tire pressure was correct, checked them cold and added air. I will never go more than 4 years again. Just an old timers advice to all. Again was lucky the trailer never swerved not did I lose any type of control. One last comment you can check the date on the tires to make sure when produced. I talked to young fisherman at ramp other day, he just replaced his tires with brand new ones. I told him to check the date, he said they are over a year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

What was the manufacturing date printed on each tire?

I do agree that tires need to be changed as a result of age, as well as a result of weather checking and or tread wear or obvious internal damage.

Be safe
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
What was the manufacturing date printed on each tire?

I do agree that tires need to be changed as a result of age, as well as a result of weather checking and or tread wear or obvious internal damage.

Be safe
I used purchase date, of Nov. 12, at the time did not know of date on tires, which was 6-11, which meant close to 6 yrs old.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Wallhanger

The Carlise's on my trailer(4.80X12) have well over 4000 miles on them, mostly high speed interstate. Purchased them 2 years ago. Most likely will replace them this fall before heading back up to TN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1243.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	258225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1244.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	258233  
Lowrance Elite 4 Gps/DI/Sonar
Old 05-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
The Carlise's on my trailer(4.80X12) have well over 4000 miles on them, mostly high speed interstate. Purchased them 2 years ago. Most likely will replace them this fall before heading back up to TN
Thanks for your input, but its the age not the mileage that caused my blowout.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Keeper

I assume you have a reata on a single axle trailer?

I have the angler on a single axle trailer. I had a blowout also, tread separated from tire. Never had a blowout before in many years with other boats. My believe is the reata/angler are very heave for the single axle trailer and results in harder application for the tires they result in more opportunity for a failure. My guess is with the boat all the gear and some extra weight when going on longer vacation I'm right at the capacity where most other boat/trailers I owned I was no where near capacity of the tires.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Wallhanger

Age, inflation pressure, load and speed: all are important in trailer tire performance.

The common advice I've seen is:
- replace trailer tires 6 years after their manufacture date
- inflate tires to the pressure at which the load was rated, all that info is on the tire sidewall
- load the tires to no more than 90% of their rated weight capacity
- stay within the speed rating of the tires, which is 65 mph on many Special Trailer tires
Old 05-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Wallhanger

Most blowouts happen in July or August. Hot roads, hot air, long drives, speeds of 70+, and old tires all combine to equal blowouts. Check your tires, unless you buy special ones- they are rated to 65mph. You can push them to 68 or so, there's a 10% leeway in the ratings. but I'm sure all of us have been passed by a guy pulling a boat 75mph+.

6 years is the standard. If you keep them in perfect conditions- not hot, not cold, not humid, not dry, no sunlight, and move the trailer often you can probably push them longer. I have not seen where those conditions exist though.

Yeah it sucks to replace your tires after 4-6 years, especially if you only use the trailer a few times a year.. but trust me, forking out that money is better than having a blowout. They aren't going to blow while at a stoplight downtown....
Old 05-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

I did not want to have issues with my single axle heavy load trailer. I put D rated trailer tires on. They also are rated for higher speed. As allot of highways are now 70 mph. I think most single axles trailers with 17.50 foot plus size boats should come from the dealer with D rated tires.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Keeper

Default Storage can be a big factor too

If you store your boat indoors, in a garage where the suns rays are not hitting your tires, you are adding life to your tires. The suns rays on a stored boat can be brutal to them.