Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Freshwater Drum - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Wallhanger

Catch probably 1000's a year. Usually find them a PIA. However, last year when the big girls were up on a reef for spawning, I thought it would be a great opportunity to have an easy target fish for my 12 year old son could dial in his jigging ability a bit more.

So we put the trolling rods away and grabbed the jig rod, 1/4 oz jig heads and 1/3 crawler. Catching 5-10# sheephead until his arms were sore. I used a rubber net and never brought one in. He had a hoot and is asking when they will be on that reef again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Fillet and smoke them.

The fish are pretty tasty.

Good luck
Old 05-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

You can also grind up the fish fillets and make fish patties from them. Also very tasty.

Good luck

Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
You can also grind up the fish fillets and make fish patties from them. Also very tasty.

Good luck

Or you can catch a walleye and eat that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Keeper

Default Big Drum

Last year while fishing the Mississippi River my grandson hooked and landed a Drum that measured 34 inches. I thought "I wonder what the state record was?" I checked and the record in Iowa was 38 1/2 inches at 46 lbs. We had caught a lot of perch in years past but I guess I wasn't aware they got that big. I will tell you he was one fighting fool and the grandson had a heck of time landing him. Of the fish we have caught together and he has been fishing Canada with me for 10 years he still talks about that big drum.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Often, you can fillet walleye, northern, perch, sucker, drum and a few other species and bread and cook them all in the same oil and many folks have trouble tasting much difference from one bite to the next.

Be safe
Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Often, you can fillet walleye, northern, perch, sucker, drum and a few other species and bread and cook them all in the same oil and many folks have trouble tasting much difference from one bite to the next.

Be safe
I can definitely taste the difference between walleye, pike, and perch. Pike is actually my favorite of the three. Since I was usually targeting walleye when I caught drum, sheepshead, goats, croakers, etc., I have always tossed them back. Next time, I will keep a few and give them a try.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

When the walleye bite slowed in the summer on the Detroit River and Erie, I used to target them purposely for fun. They're a blast to catch and make a walleye's fight look like a minnow. No comparison in fight. They fight kind of like a smallie, but without the aerobatics and more powerful. I would just either anchor up or drift a double drop rig with half crawlers on the hooks and pound them one after another.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Minnow

Thats a Tennessee Redfish. Lol. We catch alot if them on Dale. Caught about a 20 pounder lastnight. They are fun for a minute anyway. Then it gets old.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Wallhanger

Drum are not the only species to let loose while in captivity. My son had a 27" walleye poop on him and in my boat.