Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What boat would you buy in my situation? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default What boat would you buy in my situation?

I'm putting this here, not in "Boat", on purpose ... I want input from guys who fish Canada.

Me and my kids have finally outgrown our trusty 16' Sylvan tiller with a 40HP Honda.

For the fishing we do (local PA lakes, medium sized rivers, St. Lawrence River, Canada) our dream boat would be something like a Lund ProGuide 1775 or Alumacraft Competitor 175 with a 75-90HP TILLER.

Problem is, I can't find a used one within 1,000 miles of my house (been looking for 2 years) and I just can't stomach spending $30k for a new one.

But, what I can find all over the place are used 18' side console boats (G3, Lund, Crestliner etc) with 90-150HP motors. Very nice boats, and at good prices, but I really want a tiller and I don't want such a big heavy boat. They use a lot of gas, are heavy to tow and launch, and are cumbersome in smaller water.

So, do I settle and buy the larger boat (maybe I'll love it??) .... or do I hold out for the unicorn boat of my dreams? Or, do I drive 2,500 miles to ND or MN where they actually exist?

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

After all the talking is done, it's a personal choice.

But, since you asked, my thoughts are (1) there's a big difference in weight, cost, etc between a 90 hp side counsel and a 150 side counsel. And you could get a 17 foot side counsel with something smaller than a 90. Something in the 75 hp range would do nicely. (2) but if you are 100% committed to a tiller, go buy one. A road trip to MN or ND with the kids to buy a boat would be fun.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Wallhanger

We have a 165 Lowe fishing machine it is aside console with a 60 hp 4 stroke. Easy to fish out of light great gas mileage. It has a 28 gallon tank and we boat in 30 miles and fish hard all week on one tank of gas......I doubt you would miss the tiller. Good on small water and big water.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Keeper

Have you spent some time fishing with your family out of a side console? If not, rent one locally for a day, go out with a buddy in his or rent one for your next week long trip north of the border. You might really like a SC. If not, as someone suggested, take a road trip to where you have a few tiller boats to choose from. Good luck. Shopping for a new boat is fun.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

I've owned multiple side consoles and have rented tons as well. They are nice.

But, when I have 2, 3, or even 4 kids in the boat with me ... I want as much floor space as possible, and I like to have all of the kids in front of me where I can see them.

There is a Lund Pro Guide on the classifieds right now in Grand Rapids ..... I might give him a call right now.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimon View Post
I've owned multiple side consoles and have rented tons as well. They are nice.

But, when I have 2, 3, or even 4 kids in the boat with me ... I want as much floor space as possible, and I like to have all of the kids in front of me where I can see them.

There is a Lund Pro Guide on the classifieds right now in Grand Rapids ..... I might give him a call right now.
Absolutely understand your thinking of a tiller boat with kids. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 PM
lundy guy

According to Lund a 1775 Pro Guide and a 1875 impact SC weigh about the same boat 1225lbs boat trailer 2500lbs so loading, trailering, gas usage, should be a none issue.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I would definitely consider the side console. The console takes up a little space, but so does a person sitting in the back running a tiller. My personal preference as I switched from a tiller and will never again have a boat without a steering wheel, but you need to choose what you are comfortable with.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Make an adventure out of a trip to the midwest for a tiller boat. I drove to Maine for my Alaskan. I have a handicapped wife and know what you mean about have the kids in front of you. You don't want to turn around and get bad news. Hopefully if you find a boat you have to travel for, maybe a local W/C member could take a look at it before you commit to a trip.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimon View Post
I'm putting this here, not in "Boat", on purpose ... I want input from guys who fish Canada.

Me and my kids have finally outgrown our trusty 16' Sylvan tiller with a 40HP Honda.

For the fishing we do (local PA lakes, medium sized rivers, St. Lawrence River, Canada) our dream boat would be something like a Lund ProGuide 1775 or Alumacraft Competitor 175 with a 75-90HP TILLER.

Problem is, I can't find a used one within 1,000 miles of my house (been looking for 2 years) and I just can't stomach spending $30k for a new one.

But, what I can find all over the place are used 18' side console boats (G3, Lund, Crestliner etc) with 90-150HP motors. Very nice boats, and at good prices, but I really want a tiller and I don't want such a big heavy boat. They use a lot of gas, are heavy to tow and launch, and are cumbersome in smaller water.

So, do I settle and buy the larger boat (maybe I'll love it??) .... or do I hold out for the unicorn boat of my dreams? Or, do I drive 2,500 miles to ND or MN where they actually exist?

What do you guys think?
I live just south of Erie, 900 miles to northern Wisconsin and met the guy from Minnesota who drove 400 miles to pick up boat I wanted. 2010 ProGuide, paid his mileage and room saved me a whole day. If it's what you want you need to go to the mid west or order a new one. They have tillers out there.

Paul