Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What boat would you buy in my situation? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Keeper

Use www.zoomthelist.com It searches craigslist state by state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Make an adventure out of a trip to the midwest for a tiller boat. I drove to Maine for my Alaskan. I have a handicapped wife and know what you mean about have the kids in front of you. You don't want to turn around and get bad news. Hopefully if you find a boat you have to travel for, maybe a local W/C member could take a look at it before you commit to a trip.
^^ What Shellback has, but in 18' with a little larger engine. Lund's Alaskan is a peach of a boat. Tiller, all flat floor, but minimal storage. Guys buy them and keep them so not a lot of used around. New one is within reach of most folks.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Wallhanger

If I was spending your money, I would concur on the Lund Alaskan. Although it was a side console, I used my uncle's boat a number of times in Canada and I found it to be very roomy, a dry ride, very responsive and just a nice boat. I think he had a 90 HP Evinrude on it.

I think a tiller model would be the cat's meow and I really don't think one would have to power it with anything more than a 90 HP motor.

PjShorthorn
Old 05-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Further North - I really appreciate you posting those links. I spent some time and looked through each one. Those are EXACTLY the types of boat I want. At least two of them I would probably buy if I could figure out the logistics.

It's about an 18-20 hour drive to the areas where those boats are. That's a long trip just for a boat, but I plan to make memories in this boat with my family for at least 20 years. I'm starting to feel a road trip coming up .....
Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimon View Post
It's about an 18-20 hour drive to the areas where those boats are. That's a long trip just for a boat, but I plan to make memories in this boat with my family for at least 20 years. I'm starting to feel a road trip coming up .....
Maybe plan an extra day or two to test out that new boat on the waters near where you purchase it. Some good fishing in the upper Midwest in May and June.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimon View Post
. . .

Take the kids. Ideally pull them out of school to do it. Seriously. They will remember the road trip to get "their" boat as much as they do the later fishing trips with it. It's the sort of thing that they will talk about at your funeral 75 or so years from now.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Slot Fish

Hold out for the boat of your dreams...if you are a tiller guy, you are a tiller guy

I was in the exact same position as you - and searched for "the right" used proguide for 3 years. There werre none avail in my area. (T Bay)

I ran a explorer with a 50 tiller for years - great boat - but always really wanted a proguide.

A month ago I did find a new / non current 1725 with a 75 HP Merc - and got a great deal but had travel 1600km to pick up in Southern Ontario.

Had the boat in the water twice and it ihandles exactly like I thought it would. Perfect boat for the fishing I do.

Good luck - hope you find the boat you really want : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proguide.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	258570  
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Keeper

I've been in your shoes. I ended up buying the boat I wanted halfway across the country. Lots of tiller boats around smith mountain lake in Virginia these days, probably find a used one around there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Keeper

Default my suggestion

I've been where you are and in my opinion you can't go wrong with an aluminum boat between 18 - 21 feet, powered with at least 90 HP (but I'd go bigger - 115 to 150).

These boats are lightweight and easy to tow. They allow a versatile fishing platform and provide an opportunity for the kids to ski and tube.

Add a 9.9 kicker and a bow mount electric trolling motor and you have the boat control necessary for any type of fishing. I have this rig in a StarCraft model with a 125 main motor. I use it on Lake Erie when waves are up to 4 feet, and I can even use it on PA Fish Commission lakes where only electrics are permitted and everything in between with the 9.9.

There is no perfect boat, but this rig - IMHO - is about as perfect as you can get.

Good luck. Have fun.