Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My Crestliner Commander 1850 Break In and Results - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Slot Fish

Default My Crestliner Commander 1850 Break In and Results

OK...here is my break in report: I took the Commander out on Lake Winnebago Saturday morning and ran it between 3500 and 4500 RPM for an hour and a half as recommended by the dealer. I also ran it at full throttle for 1 minute every ten minutes. The motor was trimmed all the way down the whole time and believe me it was interesting plowing 2 foot waves...LOL! The boat handled fantastic during this time. I thought it would be rougher handling, but it wasn't bad at all. After the first hour and a half, we trailered it and launched it on the Fox river by our cabin. This is when I ran it on smooth water. I trimmed it to just below 1/4 as this seemed to be optimal setting for it at WOT. With the Spitfire 4 blade 14 x 19 prop that Crestliner suggested for it, I ranged between 40 and 44 MPH with it at WOT. 40 MPH against the current and 44 MPH with the current. RPMs at WOT were 5150. The holeshot was unbelievable! It just got up and planed out almost immediately when I hit the throttle. No kidding...I thought I could do a wheelie with it if I didn't add in all the extra weight of batteries and accessories...HAHAHA! I do wish I had a little more speed out of it though, but I did have my wife along with me, I had about 27 gallons of gas left in the 33 gallon fuel tank, and I also have three 29 series batteries under the consoles, one additional 29 series battery in the back for the electronics, along with a 60" Ulterra, and a Trac anchor winch with 20lb anchor on the bow. So, what I'm saying is that the boat is very heavily rigged with heavy items in it. So, I guess my question to all of you is: Does this speed and RPMs sound good? Thanks - Bruk.
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 03:27 PM
4T2

I'm no expert, even with all the advice I've received from folks here, but I believe you should be seeing significantly higher RPM's out of that motor at WOT...I have the same one and get 5,800 fairly easily with my 1875 Impact. I'm sure the different hull makes some difference, but I run fairly heavily loaded as well and have touched 50mph at around 5,800 RPM. I'm running the Tempest+ prop, which could make a difference, too.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Brukshot,
You might try a 3 blade 17 pitch prop and see how it goes.

It would be nice to get the engine rpm up to 6000 rpm running wide open and make note of the boats performance.

Always a good idea to have a spare prop for your rig, and the 3 blade 17 pitch prop might be a good prop for you .

Good luck

p.s.
When the engine is vertical - as on the trailer - where is the cavitation plate with respect to the bottom of the boat's hull.

It would be nice to have the engine positioned so that the cavitation plate is located about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the hull.

When the boat is in the water, it is sitting in a hole in the water. By having the cavitation plate above the bottom of the hull, it will be in a position to minimize the drag of the motor's lower unit.

If you have someone else driving the boat and with you wearing a life jacket, peer over the transom with the engine running wide open on smooth water. You should be able to see virtually all of the cavitation plate above the water as you fly along. If the cavitation plate is buried, the motor is likely mounted lower than it should be. Often, if a motor is mounted too low - the raising of the motor to reduce drag could raise the speed of the rig by 2-4 mph.

Good luck

Old 05-15-2017, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

Your motor has a lot more to give if you maxed out at 5150rpm. That is over 600rpm short of its capacity. Are you sure you were fully trimmed out? If so, wrong prop. You are barely clearing the threshold of overworking the engine. Your WOT RPM range is 5000-5800. You want to be at 5600-5800 at WOT trimmed out for best performance, then you can back down on throttle if you need or want to.

Using merc's prop tool, it calculated your rig at 17P 5600rpm and 48mph. So a 17P sounds like it would be what you need, which should increase your RPM significantly and put you very close to where you need to be in terms of best performance. Stick with the 4 blade if you want the fast holeshot and better performance in big water.

I would wait until your engine is fully broken in before changing anything though. You are within the safe zone of RPM for now. Give it another few hours and see what happens.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Brukshot,
You might try a 3 blade 17 pitch prop and see how it goes.

It would be nice to get the engine rpm up to 6000 rpm running wide open and make note of the boats performance.

Always a good idea to have a spare prop for your rig, and the 3 blade 17 pitch prop might be a good prop for you .

Good luck

p.s.
When the engine is vertical - as on the trailer - where is the cavitation plate with respect to the bottom of the boat's hull.

It would be nice to have the engine positioned so that the cavitation plate is located about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the hull.

When the boat is in the water, it is sitting in a hole in the water. By having the cavitation plate above the bottom of the hull, it will be in a position to minimize the drag of the motor's lower unit.

If you have someone else driving the boat and with you wearing a life jacket, peer over the transom with the engine running wide open on smooth water. You should be able to see virtually all of the cavitation plate above the water as you fly along. If the cavitation plate is buried, the motor is likely mounted lower than it should be. Often, if a motor is mounted too low - the raising of the motor to reduce drag could raise the speed of the rig by 2-4 mph.

Good luck
REW: Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it as I do not know that much about this kind of thing. I do plan on getting a second prop, so I think I will try a 3 blade 17 pitch and see what I get. Do you think I would get any better speed with a 17 pitch? I always thought that the lower the pitch, the better the holeshot but you sacrifice in the speed area. With the 19 pitch 4 blade that is on it now, the holeshot is unbelievable and just like that I am on plane with it. I will check on the location of the cavitation plate like you suggest. The boat is now sitting at my cabin so I won't be able to check it out til Friday when I go back up. Crestliner installed the motor on the boat before they shipped it to the dealer, so I am guessing that they have the height correct...but you never know so I will check it first thing on Friday. I just wish I could get mid to upper 40's with it, but if I can't, I will be happy with low 40's. Bruk.
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 05-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Your motor has a lot more to give if you maxed out at 5150rpm. That is over 600rpm short of its capacity. Are you sure you were fully trimmed out? If so, wrong prop. You are barely clearing the threshold of overworking the engine. Your WOT RPM range is 5000-5800. You want to be at 5600-5800 at WOT trimmed out for best performance, then you can back down on throttle if you need or want to.

Using merc's prop tool, it calculated your rig at 17P 5600rpm and 48mph. So a 17P sounds like it would be what you need, which should increase your RPM significantly and put you very close to where you need to be in terms of best performance. Stick with the 4 blade if you want the fast holeshot and better performance in big water.

I would wait until your engine is fully broken in before changing anything though. You are within the safe zone of RPM for now. Give it another few hours and see what happens.
Thanks Kevin! If I go to a 17 pitch prop, would I be better having a 3 blade or a 4 blade for more speed? Oh, and yes I was maxed out on the trim. The trim maxed out at just under 1/4 on the gauge.
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Last edited by BRUKSHOT; 05-15-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

Your crestliner dealer should be able to tell you what you need, they may even offer to switch the prop free of charge since you just spent all that money with them. I dont know enough about those hulls to say if a 3 or 4 blade would be best, your dealer will. Tell them exactly how it is running, that you like the holeshot but want more speed and to get better performance out of your engine. He/she will know what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Wallhanger

For a 150 engine you really should be using a stainless steel prop. 19 pitch three blade 17 pitch four blade. Most of the four blade props they recommend going down in pitch from the three blade. You be doing the opposite using 17 pitch three blade and 19 pitch four blade. I would try to return the four blade to the dealer for a 17 pitch four blade. You could try a bravo one fs four blade prop. That prop is designed different in that they recommend going one up in pitch for the same rpms as a three blade. You would want a 20 pitch bravo to match the rpms of a thee blade 19 pitch. I use a tempest plus 19 pitch with the 150 merc on a 1875 crossover. If you want more high end speed I would recommend the tempest 19 pitch or bravo one fs in a 20 pitch. The rev 4 in 17 would give you your four blade for somewhat less cost then the bravo. It would not be as fast as the tempest or bravo.

Last edited by Snowking; 05-15-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Wallhanger

5150RPM sounds low for WOT. Really should get it propped for near max 5800.

But here's a question about how he is running that motor......

To make sure he seats those rings correctly during his break-in,,so we don't here a complaint about "makin oil " by the end of the season, shouldn't he be running that motor WAY harder? ...at near full RPM and trimmed down (to load the motor) ??? much more than he is doing?

WOT for 1 minute every 10 minutes,does not sound right.
Thought the consensus had become to run the snot out of them at break in, because that was what actually needed to seat the rings right,so they don't "Make Oil". ??...(excessive fuel dilution of crankcase oil,so much, that it raises oil level.) I don't think that was just for Yamaha ????

...Just asking.

Last edited by MarkG; 05-16-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

Wot 1 minute out of ten. That is what Mercury says to do for breaking in motor. He is following the owners manual.