Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My Crestliner Commander 1850 Break In and Results - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

FYI, there is a Mercury performance report with the 150 on a Crestliner Raptor at https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...units=imperial Same size and I believe the same hull as your Commander. The test is with a Tempest plus with 19" pitch reaching 47 mph. Since your boat is so heavy with lead, you may need to go down in pitch as compared to the Merc test. By the way, do you really need so many batteries? If I understand your description you've got 5 batteries on an 18' boat! If that were my boat I wouldn't have more than 3.

Also, in response to a question about measuring speed and RPM properly trimmed up you replied you trimmed to 1/4 measured on the gauge. Those gauges are inconsistent so don't put much faith in the reading, but if you are trimmed to 1/4 on the gauge that means you are trimmed down, not up. If so, you can gain about 300 RPM and 2-3 mph if properly trimmed up. When I am trimmed up properly my gauge is pegged to the top. Learn how to trim correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
FYI, there is a Mercury performance report with the 150 on a Crestliner Raptor at https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...units=imperial Same size and I believe the same hull as your Commander. The test is with a Tempest plus with 19" pitch reaching 47 mph. Since your boat is so heavy with lead, you may need to go down in pitch as compared to the Merc test. By the way, do you really need so many batteries? If I understand your description you've got 5 batteries on an 18' boat! If that were my boat I wouldn't have more than 3.

Also, in response to a question about measuring speed and RPM properly trimmed up you replied you trimmed to 1/4 measured on the gauge. Those gauges are inconsistent so don't put much faith in the reading, but if you are trimmed to 1/4 on the gauge that means you are trimmed down, not up. If so, you can gain about 300 RPM and 2-3 mph if properly trimmed up. When I am trimmed up properly my gauge is pegged to the top. Learn how to trim correctly.
Thanks for chiming in DW. In answer to your first question, yes I need 5 batteries. I, of course, have a cranking battery for the motor and accessories like lighting, stereo, bilge pump, horn, livewell, etc. I have a second battery in the rear of the boat that exclusively runs my Humminbirds and nothing else. I also have three batteries for my 36 volt Ulterra trolling motor. So the answer is "YES" I need 5 batteries in the boat. I will use the Ulterra for trolling among other things. The 3 batteries do not weigh much more than a kicker motor (which I do not have) so I don't know why you think this is an issue weight wise?

Regarding the trim...I do know how to properly trim a boat. If I trim higher than 1/4 on the guage, then I blow out the prop, cavitate, and the RPMs shoot sky high. I guess I do not understand what you are saying? Please clarify.
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 05-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
5150RPM sounds low for WOT. Really should get it propped for near max 5800.

But here's a question about how he is running that motor......

To make sure he seats those rings correctly during his break-in,,so we don't here a complaint about "makin oil " by the end of the season, shouldn't he be running that motor WAY harder? ...at near full RPM and trimmed down (to load the motor) ??? much more than he is doing?

WOT for 1 minute every 10 minutes,does not sound right.
Thought the consensus had become to run the snot out of them at break in, because that was what actually needed to seat the rings right,so they don't "Make Oil". ??...(excessive fuel dilution of crankcase oil,so much, that it raises oil level.) I don't think that was just for Yamaha ????

...Just asking.
Hi Mark! Thanks for responding. In the manual, it states that you should run full throttle for 1 minute every 10 minutes, so that is what I did for my initial 1 & 1/2 hours. Also, the dealer told me to run between 3500 & 4500 RPM for the 1st 1 & 1/2 hours with the motor trimmed all the way down. I did this break in procedure running into 2 foot waves on Lake Winnebago, so I'm pretty sure the rings gotta be seated, because, trust me...we plowed the sucker big time...LOL!!! Bruk.
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Slot Fish

I was able to fly up to the cabin this morning and take some pictures! Please let me know what you think. Thanks - Bruk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor height 001 (Small).JPG
Views:	141
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	258530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor height 002 (Small).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	258538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor height 003 (Small).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	258546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor height 004 (Small).JPG
Views:	133
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	258554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor height 005 (Small).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	258562  

Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
Thanks for chiming in DW. In answer to your first question, yes I need 5 batteries. I, of course, have a cranking battery for the motor and accessories like lighting, stereo, bilge pump, horn, livewell, etc. I have a second battery in the rear of the boat that exclusively runs my Humminbirds and nothing else. I also have three batteries for my 36 volt Ulterra trolling motor. So the answer is "YES" I need 5 batteries in the boat. I will use the Ulterra for trolling among other things. The 3 batteries do not weigh much more than a kicker motor (which I do not have) so I don't know why you think this is an issue weight wise?

Regarding the trim...I do know how to properly trim a boat. If I trim higher than 1/4 on the guage, then I blow out the prop, cavitate, and the RPMs shoot sky high. I guess I do not understand what you are saying? Please clarify.
Ok if you are trimming your motor to the point that RPMs are rising, etc and losing speed then you are trimming as much as you can. If that point is reached with the gauge reading 1/4 your gauge is misreading. Don't worry about it because those gauges are not consistent.

At an average weight of 65# per battery you are carrying 325 # of lead in your boat, reducing speed, hole shot, useable carrying capacity, safety margins and trim. Adding weight to a boat should be done judiciously to avoid any more weight than necessary. I don't agree with the common viewpoint that more batteries are always better. I suggest before you settle into your electric configuration that you really assess your needs. Back to your original question, this directly impacts prop selection.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Ok if you are trimming your motor to the point that RPMs are rising, etc and losing speed then you are trimming as much as you can. If that point is reached with the gauge reading 1/4 your gauge is misreading. Don't worry about it because those gauges are not consistent.

At an average weight of 65# per battery you are carrying 325 # of lead in your boat, reducing speed, hole shot, useable carrying capacity, safety margins and trim. Adding weight to a boat should be done judiciously to avoid any more weight than necessary. I don't agree with the common viewpoint that more batteries are always better. I suggest before you settle into your electric configuration that you really assess your needs. Back to your original question, this directly impacts prop selection.
But, I did assess my needs. I opted for a 36 volt trolling motor instead of a kicker motor on the back of the boat for trolling. I opted for a dedicated battery to run my expensive electronics so I would be guaranteed that they work at their optimum potential without any interference whatsoever. I even ran dedicated 10 gauge twisted pair wiring to each bird individually! I
set it for my needs. You are correct in stating around 325 lbs of battery in the boat, but you have to have at least 1 battery to crank over the motor and run the stock electronics that come with the boat, so subtract off 65 lbs right there. Now you have 260 lbs left if you do not add any other batteries. Now, I would be willing to say that most people would go with at least a 24 volt trolling motor at minimum on this size rig. So, there you have to have two dedicated batteries to run that. So, lets subtract off two batteries...130 lbs. Now you have 195 lbs of battery in your boat. Now, figure in the weight of say a 9.9 kicker (100 lbs) and that brings you down to total additional weight of 95 lbs. So, it looks like I am over by 95lbs with a 24 volt system, or I am over 160lbs with a 36 volt trolling motor system. 160 extra lbs on a 2300 lbs rig is approximately 7% difference. So, please tell me...with an additional 7% weight on my boat how this is going to dramatically impact my prop selection? The difference is basically whether or not you have one additional person in the boat.
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Last edited by BRUKSHOT; 05-16-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Bruk,
From the appearance of your motor's position with respect to your hull, it appears that the motor height is about perfect.

Also, since you can only trim the motor up to 1/4 trim is indicative that it is mounted at least as high as it every should be mounted.

Conversely, since you can only trim up 1/4 trim, you might actually find some performance advantage by dropping the motor a hole - MAYBE.

------------
Certainly by going from a 19 pitch 4 blade prop to a 3 blade 17 pitch prop you should increase your engine rpm by 500 or so rpm. This will put your engine right in its sweet spot.

You may or may not get any speed change - either up or down.

The reason why you really never know how the speed is going to change is that you are dropping the pitch of your prop which for the same engine rpm will slow the boat.
But, because the load is less, the engine rpm will increase which will speed the boat up. So, it just depends on whether the rpm increase and it speed increase is more than the lower prop pitch slows the boat.

Lovely rig, I am sure that you are going to get years of enjoyment from the boat.

Take care
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Bruk,
From the appearance of your motor's position with respect to your hull, it appears that the motor height is about perfect.

Also, since you can only trim the motor up to 1/4 trim is indicative that it is mounted at least as high as it every should be mounted.

Conversely, since you can only trim up 1/4 trim, you might actually find some performance advantage by dropping the motor a hole - MAYBE.

------------
Certainly by going from a 19 pitch 4 blade prop to a 3 blade 17 pitch prop you should increase your engine rpm by 500 or so rpm. This will put your engine right in its sweet spot.

You may or may not get any speed change - either up or down.

The reason why you really never know how the speed is going to change is that you are dropping the pitch of your prop which for the same engine rpm will slow the boat.
But, because the load is less, the engine rpm will increase which will speed the boat up. So, it just depends on whether the rpm increase and it speed increase is more than the lower prop pitch slows the boat.

Lovely rig, I am sure that you are going to get years of enjoyment from the boat.

Take care
Thanks for the kind words REW! The dealer did suggest that I try a 17 pitch prop and see what difference it would make. I can't remember if it was a 3 blade or 4 blade that he suggested. In all the test reports that I have seen, a Black Max 14.5 x 19 3 blade was used for best results. I looked at the prop selection guide on the Crestliner website and for 2017 the 1850 Commander, they suggest the Black Max 14.5 x 19 3 blade. I wonder why the dealer put a 14 x 19 spitfire on it instead? Any idea? If you go to the Crestliner website an go into the FAQ section, there is a link to prop selection where this info is. I'm confused...LOL! Thanks again for looking at the pics and helping me out with this. This is all new to me and I greatly appreciate all the help I can get! Bruk.
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
But, I did assess my needs. I opted for a 36 volt trolling motor instead of a kicker motor on the back of the boat for trolling. I opted for a dedicated battery to run my expensive electronics so I would be guaranteed that they work at their optimum potential without any interference whatsoever. I even ran dedicated 10 gauge twisted pair wiring to each bird individually! I
set it for my needs. You are correct in stating around 325 lbs of battery in the boat, but you have to have at least 1 battery to crank over the motor and run the stock electronics that come with the boat, so subtract off 65 lbs right there. Now you have 260 lbs left if you do not add any other batteries. Now, I would be willing to say that most people would go with at least a 24 volt trolling motor at minimum on this size rig. So, there you have to have two dedicated batteries to run that. So, lets subtract off two batteries...130 lbs. Now you have 195 lbs of battery in your boat. Now, figure in the weight of say a 9.9 kicker (100 lbs) and that brings you down to total additional weight of 95 lbs. So, it looks like I am over by 95lbs with a 24 volt system, or I am over 160lbs with a 36 volt trolling motor system. 160 extra lbs on a 2300 lbs rig is approximately 7% difference. So, please tell me...with an additional 7% weight on my boat how this is going to dramatically impact my prop selection? The difference is basically whether or not you have one additional person in the boat.
Actually, if you think about it...the average person will have at least 3 batteries in the boat...one for the cranking and two for a minimum 24 volt trolling motor. Also, many will have the kicker motor on the back of their boats. So, (one for crankin and all electronics and two for a 24 volt trolling motor setup), you will have at least 3 batteries. If you have 3 batteries plus a 100lb kicker, that will give you 295 lbs right there. Technically, with the setup I currently have, I am only 30lbs over what the average boat of this type is set up with. What's the big deal? Is 30lbs really going to affect anything?
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Last edited by BRUKSHOT; 05-16-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Wallhanger

Most people do not run a separate battery for electronics. That is the only battery That I think would not be needed. I run a higher end Agm size 27 duel purpose for my main motor and electronics. You could use a size 31 duel purpose for even more power. I ran 6 gauge wires from my trolling batts to my starting battery's. I left them unconnected. That way I can jump start the main motor if I run the starting battery down to far. I never had to do that. I have hds 12 and hds 9 for electronics. Is it just price that you do not want to run stainless steel prop. The black max is a cheap prop. For that size engine you are really limiting performance using a alluinum prop compared to stainless steel. I would settle on a prop first before messing with your engine height. For me the height on your boat is a good starting point. Maybe you could raise the motor up one hole. You pretty much have to test it on the water and see how it performs.

Last edited by Snowking; 05-16-2017 at 12:21 PM.