Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
150 ETEC, WOT 5100RPM, ok or no? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Minnow

Default 150 ETEC, WOT 5100RPM, ok or no?

I purchased a new Alumacraft Trophy 195 in 2015, it is rigged with a 150 ETEC. It currently has a 17 pitch prop on it. I fish lake Erie only, and in a boat that size its not often i can go WOT on Erie to get my numbers, but I was able to today and at WOT, fully trimmed, I'm about 5100 RPM and 41 mph (on GPS). My owners manual says my range should be 5300-6000RPM.

I don't really need to go any faster, but I want to make sure I'm not damaging the motor in any way. Do I need to make an adjustment to get up in that 5300-6000RPM range or risk motor damage?

If so, what would you guys suggest I do to try and get up into that range? Is it just a matter of a prop change?

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, you are overworking your engine which can cause damage. First, make sure the motor is running properly. If your engine is in good order, then a prop change is what you need. It does not sound right at all that a 17P prop is only turning 5100rpm, you may have a bad tach or a bad prop. Or simply the wrong prop. I'm not sure you should need to drop to a 13 or 15P prop on that rig, you might try a 17P of a different type. 17P is pretty popular size, someone you know probably has one you can borrow for a couple hours to test.

First thing is to make sure your engine is running correct, then check your tach and make sure it is correct, then check the prop and hub for damage, then try a new prop.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Minnow

Engine is running great, and has very low hours. All gauges show everything normal. Prop is like new, not a single nick or scratch on it. None of my friends have boats, so no others to borrow props from unfortunately.

How to I check my tach?

Edit- I do have another prop in the garage, it's from my old 90 etec. It's a Michigan Wheel #011003. It says 13.25x17.

Last edited by detroit_fan; 05-15-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Keeper

The range is from 5300 to 6000, but the optimum range is 5500 to 5750. At wide open trimmed fully you need to be in the optimum range not to lug motor and to get best fuel and oil use. I have a 2004 Alumacraft TS175. I get 5600 or so with with Viper 17". You probably need a 15" prop.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Detroit,
You really don't want to put that 90hp prop on your motor.

Also, I suspect that the hub sizes would be different.

You should be spinning your motor up to at least 5500-5800 under normal conditions.

This is a 3 blade 17 pitch prop you are turning - correct?

It is not a 4 blade prop is it?

By the way, where is the engine cavitation plate with respect to the bottom of the hull. Generally speaking you would like the engine cavitation plate to be 2-3 inches above the bottom of the hull to minimize lower unit engine drag. If your motor is too deep into the water, the drag could be slowing your engine.

But the height of the engine needs to be set so that you have minimum lower unit drag, but still enough motor in the water so under a normally trimmed motor condition, the motor doesn't blow out in waves or in gentle turns. Fine to trim down in tight turns, but you should not have to trim down in gentle turns to keep the prop from blowing out.

Good luck

p.s.
If the extra prop that you had for the 90hp is in decent shape you could possibly use it for trade on purchasing another spare prop for your rig which you should have in your boat.

If you do a low speed bottom strike, you want to be able to remove a damaged prop, replace it with a good prop and not have your day on the water spoiled.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

detroit,
Just a rough way to check your tach is to pull your throttle down to an idle after the engine is warmed up. If the engine is running correctly and the tach is correct, you should be seeing an engine rpm of 600-900 rpm.

If you are in this range at idle, you are likely going to be all right with the high speed readings of your tach as well.

Be safe
Old 05-16-2017, 05:15 AM
Keeper

I realized after posting that I said inch not pitch. My prop is 14.75x17. Your boats 375 heavier than mine. You probably need 15 pitch. Etec have high gear ratio requiring lower pitch.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Minnow

Thank you all so much for the help! I called my selling dealer(who is an a**) and he wouldn't even let me talk to the technician, all he would do is tell me to drop to a 15 pitch prop. Called my "go-to" ETEC technician (Lockemans in detroit) and am taking the boat to them after memorial day so they can get it right. He doesn't want to try and guess over the phone, but he suspects the engine may need to be raised. At this point i'm turning it over to the experts, i have too much money invested in this to try and fix it myself.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Keeper

it will be interesting what your mechanic says. I raised my motor all the way. Imo its a prop issue -- mine runs the required rpms - however imo it could do a little better. The engine is designed for 87 no E octane. If you can get that --- which you can in some states - the engine loves it and it actually turns more rpms.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Minnow

I just went through this with my super hawk. I had to raise the motor two holes. Can you see the anti cavation under wot? Are you triming the motor up under wot? Also call a good prop person and make sure you have the correct prop.