Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Newbie A couple questions on kicker motor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Slot Fish

Default Newbie A couple questions on kicker motor

OK, still new to boating, so i bought a 1995 Mercury 9.9 four stroke last weekend. I put it on the back of my Alumacraft Trophy 170, along with a Force 70HP.

Changed oil, plugs, cleaned oil filter tonight. For now i did not bury the control cables in the boat, I will, but I wanted to see exactly what i purchased. Not knowing if it was even going to move the boat. After doing all the maintenance and hooking up the gas can with fresh 2017 alcohol free gas, it fired right up, i didn't even pump the bulb.

Took it out tonight on the lake and wanted to see what it would do, not top speed wise but slowest speed! It idles at 1.0 mph. It took a while to find a sweet spot but I finally got it to cruise at 2.0mph. It fluctuated and wanted to move up and down thou. It likes 3 mph more than 2.

1) Any tips. I have a terrova that i can go 1mph with, I'd like the kicker to be able to consistently put me at 2mph. Can I just turn up the idle? Or is there a way to find the sweet spot in the 2.0 range with the cables? Cleaning the carb might help.

2) When tilting the motor up and wanting to set it down, like when you just get on the water, I am suppose to lift the motor all the way up and something is suppose to release then let it down, it is supposed to go down to the lowest setting like to the 1, 2, 3 setting, wherever I have the button set. It doesn't move, stays up. Are the remote controlled models the same as some tillers, I have to shift it into forward on my controls to get it down?

Thanks, breathing a little easier knowing I got it running this far.

Last edited by Royalwapiti; 05-16-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

A kicker that pushes the boat at 1 mph at idle is close to ideal, as slow speeds like that work best for certain styles of fishing. You've probably found that it's hard to adjust the speed off-idle with manual throttle controls. To solve that problem on my boat, I installed a TrollMaster on my kicker. It's a remote electronic throttle control independent of the manual controls. There are a few similar products on the market and occasionally discussed on this board. The TrollMaster gives me very fine control over kicker rpm.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

Have you played with the tilt of your main big motor to help increase/reduce drag?

Old 05-17-2017, 05:28 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks guys, I will have to investigate the Trollmasters. I have seen them but didn't quite know when you would use one.

No, I have not tried lowering the big motor to create drag, I will try that too.

Thanks again
Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Keeper

Might consider using your Terrova to stir and for making minor speed adjustments when using the kicker Once the kicker is started and Terrova is in the water , have freedom to move about the boat and depending upon your electronics set up, read off front transducer to get information 17 ft sooner.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Slot Fish

Trolling bags! I run them all the time. They are the best trolling investment you can make. They hold the boat to the water better, they get your motor up off idle so they run better. I have a troll master and it's nice but not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

If your kicker is not a bigfoot model, look into a four blade prop. The one I used on my 99 kicker was a #48-850204A12. The diameter is 9.75 inch with 6 pitch. It slowed the boat down and increased the rpms. This keeps the kicker running cleaner.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

What is your current prop pitch? For instance if it's a 9P dropping to a 7P or even a 6P would be the answer. When I purchased my 1999 Merc 15hp 2str a couple of years ago, it came off of a sailboat, it had a 6.5P. Lots of power/thrust,but no speed, purchased a 9P Solas from Overtons,
$60 at the time, solved my problem.
Lowrance Elite 4 Gps/DI/Sonar
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks Guys, I don't even know how to measure or specify a prop. It's a three blade. I took it off and looked for line that might be caught in it when I bought it, picked out one small piece which was good. I will ask a friend.

I bought and used drift sock last year with my big motor, kind of a pain to use. But it worked.

I need to put some time on it and see what exactly I expect from it and then figure out how to get there.

I have the area under the transom tore down now so I can access the bolts for securing the motor to the boat, also tore the passenger console apart so both trolling motor batteries will go under there. Quite the mess.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Wallhanger

Look on the hub of the prop, you will see a row of numbers, either the last one or two will be the pitch number. For instance the 1st picture is a 11P prop, the second is a 6.5P prop. Once you have the Pitch number you can decide if you need to lower to say a 7 or 6P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1254.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	258962   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1256.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	258970  
Lowrance Elite 4 Gps/DI/Sonar