Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Speaking of braided line? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Pooch - you call, we haul!!!

Bill
Thank you my friend! I think that might be it. The year would have been like 1992 to 1994 era when I bought my first braided line and have used it since.

Power Pro is my go-to now on my baitcasters. Suffix 832 is growing on me and being used on one of my spinning rods that I like for heavier jigs and plastics. Still use mono on my main jigging rod though.

Thanks again Bill.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 AM
Wallhanger

If you are talking super line the first I remember was Iron Thread. Regular dacron braid has been around forever.(longer than me anyway)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
If you are talking super line the first I remember was Iron Thread. Regular dacron braid has been around forever.(longer than me anyway)
Was it white?

Not sure why I thought of those early days, but now I'm on a mission to remember what the name of it was. For some reason I thought it pre-dated "Gorilla", but just can't remember. "Iron Thread" also rings a bell somewhere in the back of my head, too.

Dacron braids? I've still got a partial spool. My wife sometimes uses it to tie "stuff" together. I've still got an very old Shakespeare bait-caster with multi colored braided Dacron on it. It was supposed to camouflage the line??

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Old 05-17-2017, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Hmm.. I remember the name Iron Thread, don't remember much about it tho. I do remember the first braid I tried, whatever the name was. It was super strong, but horrible to use, in that it would, when wet, and with a little slack, wrap around the tip and Velcro itself to about the last foot of rod. To unwind, it was necessary to physically grab the tip and untangle it, very frustrating. After a day or so of untangling, the new braid went into the garbage, and I went back to mono for a period of time. Perhaps it was Iron Thread, sorry Pooch, I don't have an old spool of that. Dacron has been around for many years, I used it in the 1950's still have some on my old Pflueger Supreme casting reel. It does not have the very small diameter characteristics of the new braids, but it does have limited stretch qualities.

Bill
Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 AM
Keeper

Here is a link to a story about early braids and a picture of some. Maybe that will jog your memory pooch. Also saw online some Berkley Gorilla line.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/fishing-line-101#page-3

Good Luck on your mission!

Here is a picture link for Gorilla line

http://www.fishingworld.com/uploads/...1524_large.jpg
Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

Iron thread started out green but I am pretty sure it faded quickly. Several early braIds faded that way. Bob
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
The first braid I bought was in the early to mid 1990's and it was white. It was flat as you could see the line twists when sighting down the guides.

I can't remember what it was called? Anyone remember?

Pooch
Kevlar or spectra????????