Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird Questions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Keeper

Default Humminbird Questions

I'm finally getting around to trying out everything on my boat. I have a Mega 10 on the helm and a 9 on the bow. They are linked. When I'm using the bow mount unit I can see my waypoints but not the depth contours, is this correct? Or do I need to have a mapping chip in both units? Also for some reason the bow mount unit depth is frequently off by 10 feet or more compared to the depth reading on the unit on the helm. I've raised and lowered the trolling motor to see if the transducer is coming out of the water but no change. I know it is not reading the depth correctly because the unit on the helm will show 8 feet and I can see the bottom and the unit on the front says 20 feet and I can still see the bottom and I know I'm not on that steep of a drop off nor can I see the bottom in 20 feet of water. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Minnow

First - I do know you will need a map chip for both units. Did they network the units with the network switch box or just connect them together. I am assuming they connected the one on the bow to the transducer on your trolling motor. Make sure you have the frequency set right. I have a Helix 9 (gen 1) on my bow and it is hooked to my trolling motor and I had to change the transducer setting to HB.....(I will have to look at it tonight to see just what setting I had to use) then it seamed to work properly. I have my unites all networked together and they seam to work right.

I hope this was a little help - I know how frustrating this can be when they don't work.

I will re-post after I check what setting I had to use. I'm not saying I have mine set right either - I just know they work that way. LOL

Good Luck - Dan
Minn Kota Ulterra with I-Pilot Link
Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV165 View Post
I'm finally getting around to trying out everything on my boat. I have a Mega 10 on the helm and a 9 on the bow. They are linked. When I'm using the bow mount unit I can see my waypoints but not the depth contours, is this correct? Or do I need to have a mapping chip in both units? Also for some reason the bow mount unit depth is frequently off by 10 feet or more compared to the depth reading on the unit on the helm. I've raised and lowered the trolling motor to see if the transducer is coming out of the water but no change. I know it is not reading the depth correctly because the unit on the helm will show 8 feet and I can see the bottom and the unit on the front says 20 feet and I can still see the bottom and I know I'm not on that steep of a drop off nor can I see the bottom in 20 feet of water. Any ideas?

Mine is a a HB legacy unit, not a Helix, but if you a using a Lakemaster chip there is a water level offset setting. Check yout manual (online). Go to the chart tab, then water level offset. Both of your units should read the same, if not that could be your problem.

andersaki

Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Keeper

Isn't offset to configure it for how much the GPS signal may be off? The unit does read the bottom accurately about 50-75 percent of the time so it does work. I know the transom transducer and the bow mount transducer won't be exactly the same all the time but they sure shouldn't be 10 or more feet off unless I'm over an extremely steep drop.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Minnow

Default Humminbird Questions

There is a water level offset of +/-10'. I found it once and cannot for the life of me find it again. The contour depth offset is in the chart menu, the sonar offset exists, buts its hidding from me and I can't find the info in the crappy users manual they provide
Old 05-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
Mine is a a HB legacy unit, not a Helix, but if you a using a Lakemaster chip there is a water level offset setting. Check yout manual (online). Go to the chart tab, then water level offset. Both of your units should read the same, if not that could be your problem.

andersaki
Depth offset could do that. Water level offset changes the contour line numbers on the map. Bob
Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchnabuzz View Post
There is a water level offset of +/-10'. I found it once and cannot for the life of me find it again. The contour depth offset is in the chart menu, the sonar offset exists, buts its hidding from me and I can't find the info in the crappy users manual they provide
Depth offset is under the set up tab. Bob
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Does it only happen when the trolling motor is ON? Or more frequently when the tmotor is on? Sometimes the electrical noise from the tmotor interferes with the transducer wires or the ducer itself. Could try ferrite rings on the ducer cable and/or the trolling motor power cable. That may help. Also try turning your surface clutter up to 10 and see if that improves the situation when you're in shallower water.

Does it only happen in shallow water? A certain type of bottom? Sand, rock, mud?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:27 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
Does it only happen when the trolling motor is ON? Or more frequently when the tmotor is on? Sometimes the electrical noise from the tmotor interferes with the transducer wires or the ducer itself. Could try ferrite rings on the ducer cable and/or the trolling motor power cable. That may help. Also try turning your surface clutter up to 10 and see if that improves the situation when you're in shallower water.

Does it only happen in shallow water? A certain type of bottom? Sand, rock, mud?
It seems to happen in both sand and mud, yes the trolling motor is on but not sure why they would sell trolling motor with a built in transducer that would cause interference to the graph? I've noticed it not working reading the correct depth anywhere from 7 to 20 feet so I don't consider that shallow water. I will adjust the surface clutter setting to see if it changes anything.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

If you have both units on at the same time you could be getting crosstalk. (sonar signals in the same frequency will interfere with each other). Bob