Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund livewells - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Keeper

Default Lund livewells

Anyone else think Lunds should have a cable operated livewell drain instead of a rubber plug? Also why does the livewell always hold a little bit of water after its drained? I even stop on a steep ramp and pull my plug, but the last half inch of water never drains out, the outlet is in the side down low, when it really should be in the bottom IMO. Just my gripe for the day, a boat this expensive should have a cable operator on it. I think Ranger/Skeeter come with cable operators right?

Last edited by Scott C; 05-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Slot Fish

Mine drains completely when parked on level ground out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Wallhanger

What is the issue with some water left in the livewell? If it is smell,use a squeeze bottle with bleach and soapy water sprayed around the inside. Even if all the water goes out you will have fish slime and spitup baitfish left in there. Bob

Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
What is the issue with some water left in the livewell? If it is smell,use a squeeze bottle with bleach and soapy water sprayed around the inside. Even if all the water goes out you will have fish slime and spitup baitfish left in there. Bob
Smell doesn't bother me, I just think it is poorly engineered, and they cheaped out in this area IMO. Premium price, premium boat, but a 1980's design.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
Smell doesn't bother me, I just think it is poorly engineered, and they cheaped out in this area IMO. Premium price, premium boat, but a 1980's design.
Us old guys might refer to it as proven technology. Bob
Old 05-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Wallhanger

On my Alaskan overflow pipe and drain plug are one in the same when unscrewed all the water goes out. Works fine for me, it is a livewell , I think maybe your expectations may be higher than the manufacturers.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoop52 View Post
On my Alaskan overflow pipe and drain plug are one in the same when unscrewed all the water goes out. Works fine for me, it is a livewell , I think maybe your expectations may be higher than the manufacturers.
That's a Spartan set-up, but that's to be expected on an Alaskan. All the high end glass boats should have a cable operated plug IMO.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
That's a Spartan set-up, but that's to be expected on an Alaskan. All the high end glass boats should have a cable operated plug IMO.

My Pro V has a rubber plug as well as a cable activated drain. I only pull my rubber plug in the event that the cable drain valve fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

The way to have a livewell that drains completely is to have a formed drain hole that is below the nominal surface of the bottom of the livewell. That way, the livewell will drain 100%.

But,if any part of the drain system sticks up above the bottom of the livewell, the livewell will not drain 100%.

Also, the livewell essentially needs a v shaped bottom with the low and bottom of the v - at the stern of the boat, so that the water in the livewell drains to the back and with the drain at the back rear of the livewell, the livewell would drain 100%.

The easy fix, is to keep a nice big sponge in your boat.

After you have drained the livewell and then scrubbed it out with a bleach solution to remove all smell and debris, just do a final wipe down with the big sponge and it will soak up any remaining moisture in the well.

Good luck
Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

Most of the glass boats have glass - nicely formed livewells that drain 100% simply because it is very easy to have a nicely designed piece of glass to do the task.

If the livewell is aluminum, not so easy.

Be safe