Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund livewells - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 05:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
That's a Spartan set-up, but that's to be expected on an Alaskan. All the high end glass boats should have a cable operated plug IMO.
It's a shame that we all don't have high end glass boats like you and have to use spartan set-ups. I've never had any complaints about the spartan set-up on my Alaskan.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 05-17-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Years ago, Lund used to have a cable operated valve on the live wells. They worked well, for about a year. By year 2 they started leaking, drip drip drip out the back of the boat while on a trailer. Happened to just about all of them. The valves got hard to operate with the cable control. Wouldn't close all the way. Debris would get on the valve parts - whatever the reason, they would leak. All of them. Was a real pain when people WANTED to keep water in the live well. Used to be that is where Red Tails would live for a long time. AIS changed things since then.

Input from Lund boat users and Pro Staffers was to get rid of that stupid cable operated live well shut off, and just go back to what they used to have - that worked 100% - a plug in the bottom of the live well. It always works - plus, since the water doesn't slow down passing through the valve - when you want to drain the live well it drains faster. And it never drips emptying the live well over time when they want to keep water in there.

You ask why did they build boats like that? Because owners and pro-staffers asked them to build the boat that way. That's why.

Doesn't mean you will like it any better, but I sure do.

Mine drains completely dry - the plug is on the bottom, not the side. I'll have to look at a glass Lund and see how that live well is plumbed. But yeah, it should drain completely.

Last edited by Burr; 05-17-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
It's a shame that we all don't have high end glass boats like you and have to use spartan set-ups. I've never had any complaints about the spartan set-up on my Alaskan.
Obviously you've misunderstood me. The set-up on the Alaskan uses the KISS method, and that's fine you understand that's what you are getting. They get the job done. Don't read into my statement more than what it is.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Years ago, Lund used to have a cable operated valve on the live wells. They worked well, for about a year. By year 2 they started leaking, drip drip drip out the back of the boat while on a trailer. Happened to just about all of them. The valves got hard to operate with the cable control. Wouldn't close all the way. Debris would get on the valve parts - whatever the reason, they would leak. All of them. Was a real pain when people WANTED to keep water in the live well. Used to be that is where Red Tails would live for a long time. AIS changed things since then.

Input from Lund boat users and Pro Staffers was to get rid of that stupid cable operated live well shut off, and just go back to what they used to have - that worked 100% - a plug in the bottom of the live well. It always works - plus, since the water doesn't slow down passing through the valve - when you want to drain the live well it drains faster. And it never drips emptying the live well over time when they want to keep water in there.

You ask why did they build boats like that? Because owners and pro-staffers asked them to build the boat that way. That's why.

Doesn't mean you will like it any better, but I sure do.

Mine drains completely dry - the plug is on the bottom, not the side. I'll have to look at a glass Lund and see how that live well is plumbed. But yeah, it should drain completely.
That's a good explanation. Part of me wonders if its the fact that Brunswick doesn't own flow-rite so they just let attwood throw a plug in there.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Keeper

Re: Burr's comment - I used to have one of those Lunds with the cable drain mechanism - the current plug system is much better - besides it gives me a chance to wash off the worm dirt when reaching in to pull the plug.
jim
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertank View Post
Re: Burr's comment - I used to have one of those Lunds with the cable drain mechanism - the current plug system is much better - besides it gives me a chance to wash off the worm dirt when reaching in to pull the plug.
jim
I prefer to wash my hands by reaching over the boat, not in the livewell full of fish lol. I know the plug is a minor deal I'm griping about, I wonder how the Ranger/Skeeter guys like the setup they have? Maybe cable operators are better now?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Keeper

I have a Lund (2004, not glass) with live well plugs. My friend has a skeeter with cable operated valves. My uncle had an 80's Lund with a modified setup that had a 1/4 turn ball valve plumbed into the drain line that ran from his live well in the bow to the transom, and the valve was accessible under the small floor hatch between the front seats. If the valve was closed the well wouldn't drain.
My friend's skeeter setup is the most convenient for a multiple well setup and he hasn't had any issues with it (08 model). My uncle's setup worked very well for his single live well because he didn't have to reach past fish to open or close it, and it was pretty bulletproof, but it wouldn't work with a stern live well. Mine is reliable for both wells but not nearly as convenient. I don't think any of those 3 boats have had much issue with getting the wells at least close to fully drained.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:06 AM
Slot Fish

The drain plug in the live well works fine for me. Sometimes when the weather is cold and nasty I'm not crazy about sticking my hand in the water to remove the plug. But hey, you gotta be tough (or crazy) to be fishing in that weather anyway. My overflow empties out the side of the boat. If I want to keep fish in the live well until I get home the water will slosh out and I will have lost quite a bit of water. I started putting a plug in the drain hole on the outside of the boat and it keeps the live well full during the trip home.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogilville View Post
The drain plug in the live well works fine for me. Sometimes when the weather is cold and nasty I'm not crazy about sticking my hand in the water to remove the plug. But hey, you gotta be tough (or crazy) to be fishing in that weather anyway. My overflow empties out the side of the boat.
I'll try to post a picture later, but what I did is put a short length of (floating) poly line on my drain plug, so when the livewell is full the line floats to the top, making it easier to reach and pull out.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170518_100113.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	258946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170518_100123.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	258954  

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 05-18-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 05-18-2017, 05:46 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I'll try to post a picture later, but what I did is put a short length of (floating) poly line on my drain plug, so when the livewell is full the line floats to the top, making it easier to reach and pull out.

HRG
That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip.