Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Powerpro or Powerpro Super Slick 8? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Minnow

Default Powerpro or Powerpro Super Slick 8?

Greetings All,

I'm gonna give P Pro a try this year. I've been using Fireline for quite some time and am curious, which Powerpro would you use and why. I'm using this on my jig casting rod and my vertical jigging rods.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Last edited by Rigs47; 05-16-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Jason,
Buy the line that you wish and let us know how it all works out.

By the way - 8 lb mono catches millions of fish every year with no hassle and for low cost.

Good luck
Old 05-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Wallhanger

I use regular 10lb Powerpro and like it for jigging with a flouro leader.

I recently put together a pike rod and the guy in the store recommended the yellow so I could see the line and I think next time I re-spool I will use it. The green is hard to see.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Minnow

I'm with you on the hi vis...that's all I've used that last 5+ years...my hook ups increased as sometimes you just see the line "tick" or stall and set the hook.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Jason,
Buy the line that you wish and let us know how it all works out.

By the way - 8 lb mono catches millions of fish every year with no hassle and for low cost.
Good luck

REW,

I fish 10lb. Fireline now with a 10 lb. flouro leader just due to the fact we catch 28+" eyes quite often and I guess it's a confidence thing... Plus, the diameters do allow for still getting lighter jigs deeper in currant. The P pro at 10# is a little thinner so I'm hoping to be able to drop jig size still.

We also have some snaggy water here in Montana...I do like to keep my jigs if I can...

I will let you know how it fishes! My fishin Buddy plans on keeping rigged with Fireline and I'll switch to compare the two...we'll switch off rods in the boat to see what each other thinks. (unless I'm hooking up more than him...lol)

Jas
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs47 View Post
I'm with you on the hi vis...that's all I've used that last 5+ years...my hook ups increased as sometimes you just see the line "tick" or stall and set the hook.
+1 on the yellow hi-vis!

I haven't used the Slick so I can't share anything on that.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread.
Reference the PP slick; is the green or the brown color the least visible to go leaderless in stained/muddy water?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 AM
Keeper

I use exclusively, the "Power Pro/Depth Hunter" metered line. "Depth Hunter is a metered line of 4-25' colors per 100' & 5' markings within the 25' color. I have chosen 15# line for all of my Long-lining, Bottom Bouncing, Casting & Jigging rods. However, I do pull plugs close to 75% of the time here @ LOTW. I think it's fair to say that all "PP" is rounder compared to the flat "Fireline"& will cast much better. Set the Hook, CRJohn
My Ride: 2001/1800 Lund Pro-V, '17/Honda 90hp V-Tech Tiller, 82# Bow Mount MtrGuide, LCX104c, LCX19c, LCX27c, Dual Pro Charger w/eng. assist, Ram Mounts & Holders, Wave Whackers, Clarion Sirrus Sat. Radio & Shorelander Roller Trailer on Lake of the Woods.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Rigs,
Just out of curiosity - what if any difference do you see when fishing with 8 lb mono - compared to fishing with 10 lb fireline or 10 lb power pro?

Any difference in the number of bites, or the number of boated fish?

I often think that the only reason that folks switch lineis because of an advertisment that the purchaser of such line has seen - as opposed to a real reason to switch because of an actual performance advantage in using different line.

Good luck
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Rigs,
Just out of curiosity - what if any difference do you see when fishing with 8 lb mono - compared to fishing with 10 lb fireline or 10 lb power pro?

Any difference in the number of bites, or the number of boated fish?

I often think that the only reason that folks switch line is because of an advertisement that the purchaser of such line has seen - as opposed to a real reason to switch because of an actual performance advantage in using different line.

Good luck