Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Casting Crankbaits - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Minnow

Default Casting Crankbaits

Hello I should be getting out on a boat soon to fish for walleye. Along with jigs and slip bobbers I plan to cast crankbaits, which I'm not setup for.

I'm shopping online for baits and there are a couple I'm interested in that only mention trolling. I can post the links but are there certain baits that shouldn't be used while casting?

Can anyone tell me if this 6'6" M combo will work or should I try to find a 6'6" ML?
http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Trio...1306060741407/

Also do you have any tips on not getting snagged so much? Is it just going to depend on what type of bottom the reservoir has?

Last edited by MT523; 05-17-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Wallhanger

I would go with the medium power rod, the ML would limit the size lures that you could cast. As for getting snagged, anything with treble hooks hanged from the bottom of the bait can and will get snagged. Use the ones with the trebles on the outside of weedlines or other snag free areas. Also certain plugs run at specific depths (more or less), use them accordingly. Search baits ( Kalin jerko jig and minnow, GT searchbait, & Rapala weedless shad ) or any lure with an upturned hook will be more weedless and less prone to snagging. Remember, every fisherman loses a lure to a snag every now and then. Good luck.

andersaki
Old 05-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
I would go with the medium power rod, the ML would limit the size lures that you could cast. As for getting snagged, anything with treble hooks hanged from the bottom of the bait can and will get snagged. Use the ones with the trebles on the outside of weedlines or other snag free areas. Also certain plugs run at specific depths (more or less), use them accordingly. Search baits ( Kalin jerko jig and minnow, GT searchbait, & Rapala weedless shad ) or any lure with an upturned hook will be more weedless and less prone to snagging. Remember, every fisherman loses a lure to a snag every now and then. Good luck.

andersaki
Sounds good on the rod. So using the baits accordingly you mean, if the water is 12 ft go with something that dives 10-11 ft? I will get the some of the ones you listed and probably start out with those when we get out there. There are just so many more choices with the crankbaits with treble hooks ha.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Wallhanger

Certain cranks will "back up" when paused. So, knowing this, if you hit bottom or a snag and give slack a lot of times they will un-snag themselves. At least this can occur with musky lures. However, if you've buried the hooks, this method won't work. Cranks will run nose/bill down and often that's what comes in contact with the snag. If so, a pause might allow it to rise above the snag.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjoe View Post
Certain cranks will "back up" when paused. So, knowing this, if you hit bottom or a snag and give slack a lot of times they will un-snag themselves. At least this can occur with musky lures. However, if you've buried the hooks, this method won't work. Cranks will run nose/bill down and often that's what comes in contact with the snag. If so, a pause might allow it to rise above the snag.
Awesome. Very good to know.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Slot Fish

Shad Raps #5 & #7, good for casting & trolling
Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT523 View Post
Sounds good on the rod. So using the baits accordingly you mean, if the water is 12 ft go with something that dives 10-11 ft? I will get the some of the ones you listed and probably start out with those when we get out there. There are just so many more choices with the crankbaits with treble hooks ha.
Exactly, go buy a few of the different types i.e. floating, sinking, suspending, dives-to certain depth lures and maybe deep diving, and experiment. You will learn as you go.

andersaki
Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Slot Fish

To each his own, but I prefer a (M) Bait Caster setup for larger deep running cranks and a (ML) Spinning setup for smaller cranks and small spinners.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Minnow

Sounds good I'll pick up a variety of lures to test out, including shad raps. Thanks for the tips, I know they will come in handy.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Minnow

So on the reviews for this lure all I see in trolling, trolling, trolling. Seems like it be fine for casting though?
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Storm-ThinFin-Lures