Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stainless Steel hardware and aluminum. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Minnow

Default Stainless Steel hardware and aluminum.

I was looking for some Stainless Steel self-drilling screws to mount the new rod holders I just got. I was looking on McMaster.com. They had 401 SS and 18-8 SS screws. Burning the notes for the 410 SS screws is says not for use with aluminum. Really narrowed down the selection of screws to only 1 in the size I need. Just a note... Not all Stainless Steel is OK to use with aluminum.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

JBird,
I will say that I don't use self drilling screws for mounting much of anything.

So much better and easier to use one drill with a pilot drill bit and one drill to set the screw.

I never found any issue with any conventional stainless steel screw to use with aluminum.

Good luck
Old 05-18-2017, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

Jbird68,

I want to share an experience with you so that you don't repeat it. I was mounting some forward cleats on my aluminum gunnels. I drilled the four holes for each cleat and put in the screws one by one as I drilled the holes. Instead of using a screwdriver though, because they were really tight and I didn't want to risk drilling too big, I used my 12 volt impact driver. I snapped the last screw. That is a sound that you never want to hear when working with stainless screws. This is when I found out how hard stainless steel screws really are! I removed the cleat and tried to grip it with a vise grip....no luck. Then I tried centerpunching and drilling, then grinding. I even tried to punch it through the aluminium, nope. When all was said and done I was able to drill a hole next to the broken off one and get the cleat mounted. Looking at it, it looks normal other than one screw being a little crooked. The screws that I used had a sheet metal type tread on them, the same ones that Lund had used on the other cleats. If I had to do It over again I would have drilled, then tapped threads into the aluminium and used SS machine screws. I have used stainless steel self tapping screws for mounting cargo net hooks into the underside of the gunnels with no problems. Unfortunately they had a round head instead of the bevel head needed for the cleats.

andersaki

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
Minnow

I ended up buying stainless steel screws and drilling the holes with a drill first. Did not have the self tapping screws at the local hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod holder2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	259986   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod holder.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	259994  
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
Minnow

Can u post a picture of those with the covers on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Minnow

With cover on and cover off. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...25fcebb243.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5822e31b71.jpg