Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
4 wire Marineco trolling motor plug - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Minnow

Default 4 wire Marineco trolling motor plug

My new boat has this 4 wire trolling motor set up. It uses a Marinco 12/24v 60 amp plug, then sends 4 wires back to the batteries.

On the positive side of the wires there are 40 amp breakers(one for each red wire). If I replace these two breakers with the minnkota 60 amp circuit breakers will this be ok? That's all I should need to do correct?

Then just put the positive side of the trolling motor wire to the 24v terminal, and the negative to the negative terminal in the plug.

I just want to make sure this will work. I'm using a 80lb thrust terrova with i pilot. I believe this will only pull 56amps on high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4595DB6-059A-42CF-A6C3-1DAE0FFB6EDA_zpsrqwcuwcy.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	258914  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

Default 4 wire Marineco trolling motor plug

I ran mine off 2 8g wires to the 4prong plug. Used a jumper between the batteries, and a 60 amp fuse on the positive feed out. Seen it done this way many times and no problems from me or anyone else I've seen do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
I ran mine off 2 8g wires to the 4prong plug. Used a jumper between the batteries, and a 60 amp fuse on the positive feed out. Seen it done this way many times and no problems from me or anyone else I've seen do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's how I did it with my old boat. I just didn't want to re run wires since this boat already as them in there.

I just wanted to make sure the way I'm thinking of doing this is still a valid way. That way I can keep the plug outlet at the bow and not have to buy a new one and drill new openings.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

I am not positive but I think the 40 volt breakers is all you would need. You would not be pulling the 50 some amps from one power wire. It would be split between your two power wires. Less then 30 amps from each battery. That would mean pulling up to 80 amps for two power wires combined. The 60 amp breaker would be if you only had one power wire going up to the plug. I beleive you would have each of the wires connected separately to the boat plug. They have a red Marinco charger plug that internally connects the wires for 24 volts. Do a little more reasearch on the red charger plug.

Last edited by Snowking; 05-18-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Minnow

Default Marineco plug

Hey Palma, I'm in the exact same situations as you

I think the Marineco 12/24v plug-in has an internal jumper and can be wired to provide 24 v to a trolling motor (black plug?) and still be charged with a 12 v charger (red plug?).

Problem is in the initial DIY setup of a 24 v system - how many wires and where do you jumper the batteries. A fellow at work tried several different three and four wire configurations.

After burning out a couple of the internal jumpers and wasting money and several weekends he bought 8 gauge wire, a 60 amp breaker, a new plug and went fishing.

Please let me know if you are successful. Would be happy to express my gratitude for a wiring diagram with a crankbait or two.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Wallhanger

Red plugs have the internal jumpers not the black plugs.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Minnow

Snowking are you using / have you used a 4 wire system for a 24 v motor?

As I understand it both plugs have jumpers.

The red has two which can connect two batteries in parallel for charging.

The black has one which creates a series connection for powering 24 v motors (if wired correctly).

Not sure where he screwed up, but my dubious source for this info burned up a least two plugs before giving up and buying a whole new wiring system.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
Snowking are you using / have you used a 4 wire system for a 24 v motor?

As I understand it both plugs have jumpers.

The red has two which can connect two batteries in parallel for charging.

The black has one which creates a series connection for powering 24 v motors (if wired correctly).

Not sure where he screwed up, but my dubious source for this info burned up a least two plugs before giving up and buying a whole new wiring system.
I agree with grumps, the black plug I have IS internally jumped.

I'm about fed up with this set up though. I'm just going to buy the battery tender connector that everyone talkes about and just pull a positive and negotive wire off the female side of the marineco plug. That way I can just use those as a two wire system and jump them at the battery. I'm set on the 60amp relay since I already have one.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post

I'm about fed up with this set up though. I'm just going to buy the battery tender connector that everyone talkes about and just pull a positive and negotive wire off the female side of the marineco plug. That way I can just use those as a two wire system and jump them at the battery. I'm set on the 60amp relay since I already have one.
This is an excellent plan. The battery tender plug is excellent. This is a much simpler set up to troubleshoot if you did have problems down the road.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post

That will work too. Just make sure the wires you choose are of the correct size, and your jumper should be the biggest wire you can get your hands on (within reason).

What don't you like about the marinco though? I've heard good things about them as long as they are wired correctly.