Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fly-in trip for 1? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Minnow

Default Fly-in trip for 1?

Though I like to take my boys to Canada, I didn't know if anyone could suggest places that will do a fly-in for one person without raking up the costs? I'm pretty sure Brace Lake does as they coordinate it with other parties, but didn't know if you knew of any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Slot Fish

I'd just call around. It's hard to say if it's worth taking 1 person into camp unless they pay additional fees. Most camps are at least 4, but there are definitely some that will take 2. No harm in asking. Especially if you're flexible with when and where you go.

I do recall one outfitter offering a deal where two people can fly into a camp in a Cessna, but the total weight including your body was something like 400 pounds. Maybe even less. I just can't recall who that was. Trying to dig it up, but so far no luck. Price was very reasonable.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Keeper

its the flight that costs,hard to get a deal for 1 person for that reason...

Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 AM
Wallhanger

If you have the freedom to go at ANY time and for any length of period of time, whether it's 3, 4, 7 days, whatever, you could likely score a good price if you ask to be put on a standby basis. By that, you'd have to be willing to show up at a specific day and go out according to when they have a group coming out and another going in for an open week, a last minute cancellation, you name it.

An outfitter may certainly take $1,000 to $1,500 of revenue to fly in 1 guy vs flying in/out empty. On the other hand, an empty camp means the chance to do repairs or whatever lese may need done.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:43 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the input. I'm not an anti social guy, lol, I just would like to enjoy more opportunities to experience the fishing many places have to offer and don't have the numbers in a party needed to go a lot of times.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkyhawk00 View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm not an anti social guy, lol, I just would like to enjoy more opportunities to experience the fishing many places have to offer and don't have the numbers in a party needed to go a lot of times.
You might be better off looking at drive in camps. They might be more reasonable in accommodating a single. Or you can post on the share a seat message board and maybe hook up with a group. There was a group going to Lake St Joe that had posted there looking for people to fill out the group but I think they're full now. Or maybe put a post on this board that your looking to get a group together for a trip. I know there's been a few guys that have mentioned the same thing about not being able to get a group together anymore. It might be worth a shot.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

Default Share a seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkyhawk00 View Post
you might want to try the Share a seat tread, like you I have been looking to put a trip together, Share a seat has helped me to try some new waters with new WC fishermen. pjshorthorn and Breezypoint have been great guys to fish with.
Good luck!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Minnow

Loon Haunt Outpost out of Red Lake has accommodated singles in the past. Bill Coppen has his own plane and typically fly's into Red Lake a time or two a week for supplies which lets him keep the cost down for a single person. If he has an open cabin I pretty sure he would work with you.

If Red Lake is too far for you I would look for an outfitter that's operation is similar to Bill's.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSjim View Post
Loon Haunt Outpost out of Red Lake has accommodated singles in the past. Bill Coppen has his own plane and typically fly's into Red Lake a time or two a week for supplies which lets him keep the cost down for a single person. If he has an open cabin I pretty sure he would work with you.

If Red Lake is too far for you I would look for an outfitter that's operation is similar to Bill's.
Thanks! I am willing to put in the driving hours.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

you may want to try the otoswin lake camp with north of 51 (Dwight monck) - a small but cozy cabin on a really good river/lake system.

like other's have mentioned, the flight will be the biggest cost but north of 51 uses Pete Johnson out of pickle lake whole only uses an otter. I would bet that you could schedule a piggy back trip with pete/Dwight where they could drop you at otoskwin while flying in another group to a different lake. give Dwight a call via northof51.com

phish