Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to empty gas from boat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Minnow

Default How to empty gas from boat?

I'd like to empty the fuel tank in my boat to get rid of the E10 gas and make the switch to non-ethanol. About 1/4 of a tank left (34 gallon tank) I have a 2015 Alumacraft Trophy, whats the easiest way to accomplish this?

Can I just put a tube down the fuel filler neck and siphon it out, or is there and anti-shiphon device to stop me from doing that?

Can I disconnect the hose from the outboard and just use the bulb to start a siphon? (end of hose lower than tank obviously)

The boat has 2 fuel connections right next to another, the main fuel line and an auxiliary one for a kicker that i have not used. can i just put a piece of hose on that and siphon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Slot Fish

Most tanks have an antisiphon so you can't just get a natural flow. I disconnected fuel line from primer bulb and then used a 12v inline pump (lift pump for a cummins). Emptied tank in about 2 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Detroit,
I have emptied a lot of tanks and always use the same system.
I remove the fuel line from the tank and replace it with the largest possible hose that I can fit to the tank and extend over the transom of the boat to fill cans.

Then, I find the fill hole for the gas tank as well as the vent hole for the gas tank.

I plug the vent hole with another person's hand, and then stuff a rag in the gas tank fill hole and insert an air compressor blow gun into the center of the rag to be able to put low air pressure into the fuel tank. By keeping the vent line plugged, and applying low pressure bursts of air from an air hose and air compressor, one can apply 5 psi or so to the fuel tank. This low air pressure will cause fuel to flow from the fuel tank through the oversized fule line into the fill cans that you have arranged outside of the boat on the ground.

As one can fills, have someone switch cans to an empty can and then continue the pressure to keep the fuel flowing. Continue emptying until you no longer get any more fuel and onlly spurts of air from the tank.

Easy to do, and no sparks which could possible flames and or explosion when emptying a tank.

Keep the boat level, or perhaps with the bow just slightly elevated to extract the maximum amount of fuel from the tank.

Good luck

p.s.
A simple way to empty your fuel tank is to run the boat until it runs out of fuel.

Carry along a 3 gallon can of the new type fuel you wish to use. Then, just run the engine until you are completely out of fuel. Then, dump in the three gallons of gas to be able to get you back to shore and onto the trailer or a fuel source of your desired fuel source and fill the tank.

Really not a need to make an extra effort to empty the fuel tank.

Take care

Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Keeper

I just disconnected the line and pumped the primer bulb. Might take longer but doesn't get much simpler than that. Plus you'll burn a few calories.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Minnow

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. The only reason I don't just run it out of gas is that an ETEC technician suggested to never run the engine out of fuel. Not sure how much truth to this, but I have followed the advice and never ran it dry.

One question I forgot to ask was what angle to have boat at while draining, so thanks for addressing that REW. I had assumed bow way up would have been best, I guess I always thought the pickup was at the rear of the tank. Good to know that's not best.

Last edited by detroit_fan; 05-18-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:09 PM
Keeper

I also read article on phase separation switching between ethanol gas and and non ethanol. Your not going to have a problem if you switch over near empty and stay with non ethanol. I use to switch to non ethanol in fall for winter storage. Never had a problem. More important to have a water separatin filter. Going to stay with 10 percent ethanol. I do not think there is going to be a significant benifit to non ethanol performance wise (rpm increase). Probably a slight mileage benifit.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Minnow

I might just do the method REW suggested, but if I wanted to pump it out would something like this do the job?

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Fuel...Lift+pump+fuel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51LXQ%2B%2BXgYL.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	259050  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad34 View Post
I just disconnected the line and pumped the primer bulb. Might take longer but doesn't get much simpler than that. Plus you'll burn a few calories.
I also have pumped a lot of gas out of my boat using the bulb.

I can siphon gas using the existing fuel line by draping the fuel line over the transom. If you get the fuel line low enough you can overcome the anti siphon valve and establish a siphon.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Wallhanger

Curious as to why you want to empty the tank?

If it is because it is ethanol why not just fill with non ethanol and go fishing. When done top off the tank.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
I might just do the method REW suggested, but if I wanted to pump it out would something like this do the job?

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Fuel...Lift+pump+fuel
That is just like the one I use. Really fast and safe.