Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Backing for Diawa Sealine 57, 10 color leadcore - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Slot Fish

Default Backing for Diawa Sealine 57, 10 color leadcore

I would like to set up 2 full core leadcore 27#for salmon fishing . I have the two reels already and power pro 40#. I am confused by the diameter with leadcore. Can anyone tell me how much backing I should use on the 57Sealine? Suffix 832 seems to have a smaller diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

If you are winding 2- start with your leader then the lead and then fill it with your braid. If you note how much braid you need then use a few yrds of mono to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool then just hook the mono to the other reel and wind it all on. Then wind on the correct amount of mono, braid then lead then leader on the empty reel. Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
If you are winding 2- start with your leader then the lead and then fill it with your braid. If you note how much braid you need then use a few yrds of mono to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool then just hook the mono to the other reel and wind it all on. Then wind on the correct amount of mono, braid then lead then leader on the empty reel. Bob
That's how I fill quite a few reels when I need maximum casting distance and an absolute full spool. If you don't have three (you'll always need 1 extra) identical reels... after spooling the way Bob suggested, you can tie off the end and walk the line out then put the end you tied off on the spool and reel it in.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

The only unknown is the amount of braid. Just zero the counter when you start to fill with the backing. 2 of the same reels are all that is needed.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
The only unknown is the amount of braid. Just zero the counter when you start to fill with the backing. 2 of the same reels are all that is needed.

Very true, as long as the counter doesnt slip on the fresh slick braid.. and as long as the leadcore has the correct amount of line on the spool (sometimes they are off as much as 10%).

Be sure to do some mono before the braid as well, or electrical tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Slot Fish

Ok thanks for the imput. Both reels have 300 yards of 40# power pro on at this time and I have to figure out how much braid to take off to fit the full core ?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookjaw View Post
Ok thanks for the imput. Both reels have 300 yards of 40# power pro on at this time and I have to figure out how much braid to take off to fit the full core ?
If you don't take it off and do like I suggested I have no Idea how you could figure it out. A wild guess by me... At least half that PP would have to come off. Maybe more. Pull the line off one and do the backward bit and you will have an accurate plan for the second.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Keeper

What Bob said. Although I run mono. You'll have to pull the PP off and reverse...leader, leadcore, PP. I've done it on 47's and short core 27's. You might want to run a 20# floro leader.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Keeper

With 300 yrd of PP40 you would still need 70 yrds of Big Game 30# (.022 dia line) and will fit 100 yrds of #27 lbs Tuff Line Lead Core Standard not micro to fill the reel.

For Salmon Fishing I only put 250 yrds of PP on but you could spool up complete PP backing if you want on the 57 reel. That would take 515 yrds of PP40 with enough for a topshot leader of up to 10 yrds of 30 lb line.

At the end of the day you don't have to fill lead core reels all the way full but better drag and gear ratio.

GLANGLER forum has a great spreadsheet to calculate and so far it has been dead perfect on several reels avoiding the need to spool up in reverse then back fill onto the reel. I love it when the Reel mfg state the actual DIA of the line and yards it will hold as 20 lb can vary between mfgs but I take the average and use it for calculating.

Note with Braid line you want the line wet when spooling up. I put a thread rod drilled into a bucket to spool up a friends Magda 45's with 250 yrds of PP40 and 100 yrds of Standard lead core for salmon and still have enough for his leader on the reels. With the water in the bucket the 3,000 yrd spool of PP40 had no problem staying put and kept the bottom of the spool in the water while we did this.