Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rock Guards-flap vs. brush style - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 AM
Slot Fish

Default Rock Guards-flap vs. brush style

I've read quite a bit of old posts on here about rock guards, tow tectors, and trailer guards. Knowing that a trailer guard seems to be the best for protecting a boat, its a little out of range for me right now. Is there anyone with fresh info or experience that can say for sure what actually works the best? Brush or flap?? I'm guessing brush, but I have a friend who did more damage than good with a set of these. Can I get some votes on what works best? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I have Rock Tamers and a bit dissatisfied with them. They cut down on rock chips, but not allot. I still get allot of rocks inside the boat. The problem is that they don't knock down the rocks. Because they're rubber, the rocks bounce off them and many times right over them and into the boat. Brush style for me next time. Either style can cause damage if not set properly. If they're too low, they'll fling tons of rocks at your boat. Trust me, been there done that after getting the wrong springs installed in my truck.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Minnow

Default Rock Tamers my choice

I've had a rock tamer for a couple of years . I went to Florida and back no problems. I do not travel on gravel roads much but if installed correctly they should Protect your investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks guys, I think I'll have to go the flap route. I need them to be height adjustable on the fly due to having a truck camper. The added weight sits me down a few inches when it's on. I have air bags but I don't like them aired up all the way. From what I saw, the brush style is not height adjustable. Unless I missed something? Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger55 View Post
I've had a rock tamer for a couple of years . I went to Florida and back no problems. I do not travel on gravel roads much but if installed correctly they should Protect your investment.
Definitely, paved roads, no problem. Gravel roads, even a short distance, no Rock Tamers for me in the future. I have a 3 mile trip to my home lake on all gravel roads, and just to keep the boat from being trashed, even with the Rock Tamers on there set properly, I have to creep along at 25mph on a 45mph road. Even then, I'll have dozens of rocks in the boat and new chips. Until I upgrade, I was thinking about securing on a sheet of outdoor carpet on the back of each Rock Tamer to help kill the rock's bouncing.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Slot Fish

Alright, I'll just have to set the brush style height the best I can then. Do you know what's recommended for clearance to ground? The offer a 20" 18" and 16". Just so I know what to order after I get some loaded measurements from hitch to ground.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Gravel,
Try to go with the brush style - little issue with rocks bouncing off the brush.

If you ask, you can either purchase or have made an adjustable height for your rock guard.

The general rule of thumb is about 2 inches off of the ground - with the boat connected and the truck fully loaded. Better to be an inch higher than an inch lower.

http://bumpersuperstore.com/i-115980...FV5MDQod8QQKLw
Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Gravel,
Try to go with the brush style - little issue with rocks bouncing off the brush.

If you ask, you can either purchase or have made an adjustable height for your rock guard.

The general rule of thumb is about 2 inches off of the ground - with the boat connected and the truck fully loaded. Better to be an inch higher than an inch lower.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Gravel,

Perfect! Thanks REW
Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Keeper

I have mud flaps on all 4 wheels of my truck as well as rock tamers which are hitch mounted. they are adjustable for height as well as angle and I have yet to find any rocks in my boat and I live on gravel. I do reduce my speed on gravel which I think you will have to do with any flap or brush you decide on to avoid throwing rocks. I can tell you that if the flaps or brushes drag even the slightest you will throw allot of rocks that way. Heck I even have mud flaps installed on my boat trailer to protect it further as well as those that may be following.